ASA Bad news is out.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed-completely..

I used to think SKYW had a great plan-they had a vision, they would lead the regional industry.

After all that has happened, I have come to the conclusion that they have no idea where they are headed, they don't give a rat about the industry, and they have absolutely no interest in running ASA. We were a bargain-a really good bargain... Employees at ASA are a liability, and more are being jettisoned as we speak.

ASA was a total basket case. It was sold to SKYW for literally less than the scrap values of the metal in the hulls on property. No matter what happens, Jerry will make money-employees are simply a costly liability. I believe we are beginning to see that liability be discharged for good.

-Sure-Good things could happen. I used to believe that Skywest had great plans for us. I now am convinced that random chance will dictate whether good things do actually occur far more than any actual plan.

Some things are beyond the control of Skywest, Delta, ASA, Comair, Mesaba, United, USAIR, American, Continental, JetBlue, and even Virgin America. Did I leave anybody out? Please read this excerpt from the AJC, pay attention to what has been going on in this Country, and what has happened in the World economy. Wake up and smell the coffee, please!

"Delta announced last month it would need to make steeper capacity cuts this year than it had previously expected. Its new plan for involves a 10 percent capacity cut this year compared with 2008, instead of its previous plan for a 6 percent to 8 percent reduction. As a Delta Connection carrier, ASA is affected by Delta’s cutbacks in its flying.
Other Delta regional carriers are also furloughing pilots, including Comair and Mesaba. Delta is offering its pilots early retirement packages to cut back its work force."

Most companies are in the survival mode! That will not change until long after a recovery. Be glad you work for a Company that has enough liquid assets to survive what lies ahead. The glass is not half empty, it is half full. Now, more than ever, Cash is King! There is reason for great optimism! But, the storm has only begun! There will be a Morning After!

They were probably trying to spruce us up to sell us to someone else for more money like people that flipped houses a few years ago. Now that the economy is crap, they're stuck with us.

No one, except a fool, sells a Cash Cow!

There is an important point that most people miss. Under Fee For Departure, there is hardly any risk sharing. That means that the revenue stream is nearly constant per Unit--good times or bad! The only thing that the Connection Carrier has to do is to manage and hold down costs. Revenues - Costs = Profits. If costs are managed properly, then profits can be predictable and constant. In addition, if operational targets can be reached, then the Company can further benefit in receiving bonuses added to those profits. It is a sweet deal--almost guaranteed profit!

Last edited:
Atech consolidation, ACARS, PDC, Auto Catering, Crew Meals, Shuttle service (discontinued).... Anything else I left out? Oh, and that very spacey new construction crew lounge.

Trojan

Exactly. If you were here before all of the E(anything) (i.e. Delta) the amount of tech that has happened since SKY bought us, then you should know that they have invested in ASA, not to mention all of the above.
Look at pay roll. This has been one of the worst things at ASA for ever! Now we get a statement bi-weekly with a run down.

Hope ASA enjoyed their performance numbers. If we bleed like this and SkyWest gets the easy ride while we suffer, there won't be an A-14 or D-0 flight from me until this place tanks. I'm getting pretty fed up here...................

seriously?!? how can you be that selfish and ignornant. you think that will bring the furloughs back quicker? your attitude makes me sick and embarrassed. the way to get them back is more business, which means keeping our performance on top, or at least the best we can do. do your job or lets hope you get a coma line and go run your newspaper delivery business.

Shut up you idiot. We have a contract, do your job. ASA does 80% of all DAL regional ops out of ATL. The cannot take us below that...

You have a contract, do your job.

"Shut up you idiot?" You know exactly who I am, so come say this to my face.

What incentive would ALPA have to concede a huge part of our contract?

The most important question of this thread. I strongly suspect that somewhere wheels are turning in the GO to try to even further 'right-size' the pilot group.

I can't see any further reduction in the pilot group being an action item for ALPA.

So what about all the money Skywest has sunk into ASA since they bought us? Its WAY more that Delta ever did.

I think you may be mistaken.. DAL sank tons and tons of money into this place-buying crap-piles of new aircraft-and lots of equipment.

You are correct that much of that money didn't make it to the line pilots or where we would notice. Most of the bucks got sucked up by people at the G.O. who did absolutely nothing all day long. Ask a few questions about what went on over there during the Delta era-you would probably be very surprised.

Latest resources

Back