• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Article on FAA Rest Rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nope, its back on the engineer's panel. Its hard enough to keep them awake on a regular basis. And 40W can be quiet, until its busy, and you actually have to stay awake and do what you are being paid to do. The nap time idea can help, but if that is the only significant change offered to 121 sup, then I would just as soon hold out for the same rules everyone else gets and take my chances.

Did I miss something " get some real experience and then come back with an intelligent response."

Isnt that the main part of thewhole discussion here, different plans, different experiences, all need different rules.

FYI if you want to read some interesting scientific (yes apparently) rest rules, have a read of the Indian rules I have to deal with! Its mind blowing... http://dgca.nic.in/cars/d7j-j3.pdf

Nope, its back on the engineer's panel. Its hard enough to keep them awake on a regular basis. And 40W can be quiet, until its busy, and you actually have to stay awake and do what you are being paid to do. The nap time idea can help, but if that is the only significant change offered to 121 sup, then I would just as soon hold out for the same rules everyone else gets and take my chances.
That what was nice about the L-188, the F/E could nap, which for some was like an auto nap switch attached to the gear handle. The FE panel was between the two pilots, so we could both see the oil pressure. And yes controlled napping, as oposed to uncontrolled napping that we have now, is only part of a larger solution. But nothing can ever remove all fatigue from night time flying, well except drugs. I have heard the military used go/no-go pills to allow their crews to pull off these 35 hours missions.

btw, I love how you're lecturing a 747 pilot who ACTUALLY flies all over the world, into Afghanistan and far flung places on 20+ hour duty day flights... meanwhile you're flying bugsmashers...

get some real experience and then come back with an intelligent response.

He's not even a pilot.

maybe I was misunderstood. The napping we did was only if the non-flying pilot felt awake and wouldn't mind flying for 30 min to give the flying guy a break. If the non-flying pilot was very tired and couldn't stay awake he would get a nap before the 1 hr mark so he could relieve the flying guy for 30 min. If neither thought this was a good idea it didn't happen and we both flew the last 1hr tired and fighting sleep, but this is what the FAA and apparently some pilots want anyways. I am not saying this example should be a rule it was just something we as a crew decided to do. I do not have he answer but I feel that the system in place now isn't working.

Yip maybe you can explain one of the great duty day mysteries to me :

Why is a 4 man crew with adequate rest facilities under 121 supp limited to a 30 hour duty day, and with no rest facilities limited to a 20 hour day, but

There is no duty limit for a 3 man crew.

Please explain why 3 people dont get as tired as 4 or have any duty limits by FAR.

Yip maybe you can explain one of the great duty day mysteries to me :

Why is a 4 man crew with adequate rest facilities under 121 supp limited to a 30 hour duty day, and with no rest facilities limited to a 20 hour day, but

There is no duty limit for a 3 man crew.

Please explain why 3 people dont get as tired as 4 or have any duty limits by FAR.
not my job, who ever said all FAA regs make sense. The capabilites of the airplanes have moved beyound what he FAA had in mind when the regs were drawn up. But the old regs still drive the agenda. That is why change is needed. But there are no rules, short of banning all flying between 2200L and 0800L that will eliminate all fatigue in the cockpit.

Perhaps the FAA might be interested in a study that shows drowsy people operating a vehicle is unsafe. Perhaps not.

Nearly one-third (32 percent) of American drivers admitted to drowsy driving in the past month, even though 96 percent of the respondents said drowsy driving is an unacceptable behavior.

The poll by the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety was released to coincide with this year's Drowsy Driving Prevention Week, Nov. 6 to 12, hosted by the foundation, the AAA and the National Sleep Foundation.

Drowsy driving can have serious consequences. These drivers are involved in one of every six deadly crashes and one in eight crashes resulting in serious injury, according to a study released last year by the AAA Foundation.

"Although the vast majority of drivers recognize the serious threat of drowsy driving, a 'do as I say, not as I do' attitude exists when getting behind the wheel.

Drowsy driving kills, just as sure as drunk, drugged and distracted driving does," AAA Foundation president and CEO Peter Kissinger said in a foundation news release. "Drivers have a tendency to underestimate the impact being tired has on their driving ability, which puts themselves and others at risk."

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health...g-unacceptable-but-one-third-do-it/51169908/1

Last edited:
good point. At one company I was at during recurrent training they showed us a video on two groups of people. One group legally drunk and the other awake for 24hrs. Then they had the two groups drive a car on an obstacle course and not their reaction times. there was no difference in the two groups reaction times showing that it is just as dangerous to be tired as drunk. After the video we asked why we fly a certain route that makes us all very tired; they said "well, its legal".

good point. At one company I was at during recurrent training they showed us a video on two groups of people. One group legally drunk and the other awake for 24hrs. Then they had the two groups drive a car on an obstacle course and not their reaction times. there was no difference in the two groups reaction times showing that it is just as dangerous to be tired as drunk. After the video we asked why we fly a certain route that makes us all very tired; they said "well, its legal".
and the solution? no flying between 2200L and 0800L, everyone 8 hours behind closed doors, never ever be a a fatigue problem again, right? BTW How come we fall asleep in ground school after lunch after only being up for 4.5 hours, must be a fatigue problem

Latest resources

Back