• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Article on FAA Rest Rules

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What about the supps that fly regular scheduled service for some other airline hauling those pax? Does the rule still not apply because they are a supp and not a domestic although the supps are carrying the same pax? When is a life worth more or less? Is a pax life worth more than a pilots or other crew member? These are the questions I ask myself when people say there should be separate rules for different kinds or operations. I get that the operations can be completely different and some companies will benefit from a more relaxed set of rest rules, but nothing that can't be fixed by hiring more pilots and being more efficient with the ones they have.

@thunderworm.... you are onto something. I think anyone that thinks there should be two separate rules with regards to something as critical as rest in operating airplanes needs to get their head examined and possibly stand to lose their medical due to mental issues... the very idea that it's not safe to do it for the one, but its safe to do it for the other is truly insane.

Last edited:
I'll keep this short.
I never said the current rules should stay. God knows we need some new and better rules, but the same rules for all airlines is not the answer.

I've been in the non-sched world my whole career. Both PAX and cargo. While much of the flying is scheduled, much is not! One set of rules is not the answer! Supplemental carriers DO provide a service to the world that sched pax and cargo operations do not. We do need some new rules, but United airlines rules do not mix well with our types of operations. Wars and natural/manmade disasters do not always happen at 8am eastern time. When a major pax carrier shucks and engine in Peru, who gets called to bring them the spare?? "Oh sorry, we can't do it right now, our boys need more sleep!" I really don't want to layover in some parts of the world that we fly too. I will gladly fly an extra hour or two so I don't have to lay over in Somalia.
You can build two different support structures for a bridge, that will be the same height and strength as each other, and be as SAFE as each other;but be different.

How will/can these new rules be bad? "IF" the crews are augmented and the companies install Class A (bunks) rest facilities we can continue to schedule pretty much as we do today.

So, you must be against more pilot jobs, more rest, more comfortable facilities on board.

I think I understand now, this is really about management bonuses and golden parachutes.

never mind.....

Last edited:
There are no rest rules that can ever address this, constant interruption of sleep cycles makes you fatigued.

Just not true. You can address the issue. You might still be tired, but a lot less tired if you're not allowed to fly 4 legs in the middle of the night. Shorten the max duty period if on the back side of the clock. Rules can address the issue or make it worse.

Just not true. You can address the issue. You might still be tired, but a lot less tired if you're not allowed to fly 4 legs in the middle of the night. Shorten the max duty period if on the back side of the clock. Rules can address the issue or make it worse.

you're wasting your time, management pilots don't understand science based rule making.

you're wasting your time, management pilots don't understand science based rule making.

I know the deck is stacked against us, but my point was that we can be our worst enemy. I've read how UAL rules won't work for non-sked and it's a different business, etc, etc. This from people on the board here. Are you kidding me? The bravado of "who brings UAL an engine when they shuck one in Peru" is laughable. Hire more pilots and get adequate rest. It's possible. Yes it costs money and yes big business will be against it, but that doesn't mean we should help them in their argument.

but you're right... I'm wasting my time :) nothing else to do though...

What happened to "one level of safety"? 20 years ago the 135 ops were forced to begin complying with 121 rules, and one level of safety was the word. All the regionals cried that there was no way they could be competitive, how has that worked out for them?

This is SCIENCE people, incontrovertible truths compiled by a governmental agency that has historically been reactive versus proactive. No matter what you believe do you expect us to alter our biology?

Latest resources

Back