• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Army Warrant Officer advice please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was just thinking...So far I haven't filled out any paperwork except the background, reference type stuff.

Has anyone had more paperwork initially? I saw a section on goarmy.com that had a bunch of forms you could download. Haven't had a chance to revisit the website. Might try again, today, to print it all off.

Try the following link for help and answers.

A bit of advice that helped me when I became a Warrant Officer.

I went to the local Army recruiter who specializes in enlisted personnel and got the usual run around. Nobody knew anything and no one knew anyone who knew how to do it.

Frustrated I went to another recruiter in the next city. He said son, he called me son, I spend my entire day trying to get people to "enlist" in the Army not getting them to be officers. You need to talk to recruiters who recruit officers. I drove the extra 1 1/2 hours to Army recruiters who do nothing but send people to OCS and Warrant Officer Flight School. To make a long story short, it went smooth as silk. They had all the right answers, all the right questions and all the right paperwork. I believe, from day one that I entered their office to leaving for training was 8 months.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

What are the board dates? And how long after having Lasik can you apply? I'm looking into it and just starting the process.

Took the ASVAB(sp?) and MEPS physical this week. Very straight forward and overall an acceptable experience. (I was told that they can be a bit rude sometimes)..

Next step is AFAST next week(a flight aptitude test, reading instruments and such);

and also setting up my Flight Physical (I think it pertains to motion/air sickness type stuff, pressure chambers etc.)

Minimum score for the ASVAB is 110 GT...(I thought I did ok, but somehow pulled a 137/140 which was better than I was expecting). I also scored in the 98th percentile out 99%. So overall it went well.

I asked my recruiter about my chances since I did well on testing and have a pretty healthy aviation background. He said even with my age being close to 33 I'm most likely looking pretty good. He said they normally don't see high scores from enlisted guys so mine were pretty impressive.

I feel I've gotten lucky with the process so far. Recruiter is willing to help process me as a W.O. and the MEPS station was very helpful as far as giving me W.O. info.

Make sure if you do go to MEPS for the ASVAB and physical that they know that your trying to be a W.O. No change in the processing , but they do make a full copy of your medical results for you to pass along to the rest of the testing people along the way. And I'd say in general it makes you a bit more "special" than just your average high schooler going into the infantry.

I'll post again after the AFAST..

BTW you can prob. go to Borders or Barnes & Noble and read up on the AFAST, and do practice tests. Or buy the books for maybe $20. I'm just gonna sit in there and read for a few hrs.

I must say I'm jealous of you. It seems as if you walked in and boom your set. I've been fighting this for a year provided I have a special case, but still. Def a big thumbs up to you and your recruiter.

I'm still waiting for the shoe to drop..(lately it seems that I can do nothing right!!)

But yeah the process so far has seemed really straight forward.... Unless I'm missing something, my recruiter explained the steps and it seems very easy to follow...

1)ASVAB test
2)MEPS physical
3)AFAST test
4)Flight Physical

get all the required documents, transcripts, reconmendations, copies of all licenses and anything else that helps. ie:, awards, dean's list stuff.

5) send your info to one of the bases to get the ok to attend a review board
6)Do the review board interview
7)That info gets sent to Ft. Knox for final authorization. (from what I've been told, rarely is that outcome different from your reveiw boards)
8) Sign the contract...off to basic at Ft. Jackson, then to Ft. Rucker for W.O. training and helicoptor training.

Thats pretty much my understanding. If anyone knows of anything I'm missing lemme know so I can bring it up to my recruiter.

FWIW I have @6300TT, most of that is jet. And have been flying for around 13 years. I immediately told the recruiters that when I walked in. It has been my experience that unless I explain to people that I'm a full fledged pilot, they assume that I'm either flying "those small planes" or just a pilot for fun. (or just starting out)..That way they knew I was both semi-intelligent, and I was serious about flying and wasn't going in the Army for anything else.

Last edited:
CRJFlyer,

How many years are you committed to when you sign up for helos as a Warrant Officer? And what are you guessing the pay will be?

The pay is all available on the web. I think the pay while your in flight school is roughly 42K ish give or take a few grand. I forgot the commitment so I'm sure someone else could chime in.

Latest resources

Back