Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flyingdude

Hey guys,

I am looking for some information from some of you guys in the know. I am in the initial stages of considering opportunities as a Warrant Officer in the Army flying helocopters. I am getting fairly close to the age limit of 33, as I just turned 31.

I have always wanted to serve my country as a pilot. When I was younger I had to drop out of college early to get a job and support myself. It was not until my very late 20's that I went back and got my degree, that I met the requirments to be an officer and fly for the Navy, Marines, Air Force. Then I was too old, therefore, it eluded me.

I now have over 6,200 hours flying for multiple airlines, Part 135 companies and being in the middle of my 3rd furlough in this industry. In doing some research, I still meet the age limit to apply for a Warrant Officer position flying helo's.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. What is the commitment time? What is the payscale like? How competitive is it to get in? (I understand that my age might make me less attractive, however, I do triathlons so the physical tests would be no problem. As having a good amount of previous flight time couldn't hurt either, even though it is all fixed-wing) Just any info about what I am considering would be great. Thanks ahead of time for your responses.

Last edited:
Not trying to dissuade you but, I think it's going to be tough since your age is getting up there. The Army can pick from so many people now that it's nearly impossible to get a waiver for anything. I've been attempting to go Warrant now for almost 8 months and its been hell for me. PM me for details I'm sure others will chime in too.

I've started the process as a backup plan. (furloughed NJA)..So far it's been pretty straight forward. I'm not sure why one poster has been trying 8 months? I went in last weds. and have my AVSWAB (sp?) and physical tomorrow and wed. And they already wanted to schedule my FAST for thursd. (I had to delay that atleast a week to find a babysitter).

After that is a few more physicals/agilities tests and then the boards. (assuming I get my paperwork done by then). It may take awhile but so far it's been running pretty smoothly.

Don't know if waiting for the board review is what holds people up? I'm pushing 32 and have been told it's more difficult the older you get. Then again I'm in better shape now than when I was 24. And have about 5000 more flight hours since then too. So maybe that makes me a bit more marketable?

If anyone has any input as to why it takes some people a long time let us know.

I've started the process as a backup plan. (furloughed NJA)..So far it's been pretty straight forward. I'm not sure why one poster has been trying 8 months? I went in last weds. and have my AVSWAB (sp?) and physical tomorrow and wed. And they already wanted to schedule my FAST for thursd. (I had to delay that atleast a week to find a babysitter).

After that is a few more physicals/agilities tests and then the boards. (assuming I get my paperwork done by then). It may take awhile but so far it's been running pretty smoothly.

Don't know if waiting for the board review is what holds people up? I'm pushing 32 and have been told it's more difficult the older you get. Then again I'm in better shape now than when I was 24. And have about 5000 more flight hours since then too. So maybe that makes me a bit more marketable?

If anyone has any input as to why it takes some people a long time let us know.

CRJFlyer,

I too am furloughed NetJets and Spirit and I am looking at the Warrant Officer program. However, you are further along in the process than I am, as I just started the research. Good luck to you!

I'm also working on the warrant officer packet. To those of you who have yet to take the AFAST, my advice is to get the Arco study guide. I learned this from researching kiowapilots after buying the others. Avoid the others. They will drive you crazy! Especially on the cyclic movements section. There are some wrong answers on the practice tests, especially the Baron's study guide. After taking the AFAST myself, I can see that the Arco study guide was much closer to the real thing than the others. Good luck!

My issue is a med issue involving a plate and screws in my arm. The arco book will help you greatly. CRJ Flyer where did you go for recruitment? Recruiter? Every recruiter I've used has been slow or didn't know exactly the process.

I've had the same problems with recruiters. It is difficult to find one that will help you with the Warrant Officer paperwork. Some have no idea how to do it. Keep visiting different recruiters until you find a good one. Take care of them like buying them lunch or something. Let them know you appreciate the work they put in for you. After all, they need some kind of incentive to help you. From my understanding, they get no credit for getting you signed up (unless they talk you into enlisting.)

I just went to my local recruiter..I did some research beforehand (either here or on a military website) and knew about the recruiter problems.

When I went in to the recruiter station I basically let the first person who greeted me know that I wanted to go W.O. helicoptors and nothing else. He sent me to a recruiter who had just finished doing an Officer entrant. So I probably got lucky.

My recruiter wasn't real familiar with the process/paperwork. I think he got some help via e-mail and delivered a packet of background paperwork to me that same day. (I live 5 minutes from the station so it's real easy for me).

I was also able to get all the birth certificates/SS cards/ marriage license to him quickly too.

So far I've had a good experience. He hasn't tried to get me to go in any other way etc. Like I said, they've gotten my tests scheduled very fast. (almost too fast since my plan A is still lingering) I'll keep posting on my process or problems.

Latest resources

Back