Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Are you guys tired of this yet? Time for National list?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JT12345

I hear a lot of pluses to a national list in other industries. I know you guys think with all the training that it is not possible. All that would be required is when you bid for a slot at another company that you stay there for a year, so they recouped their training costs.

Think of this. One rate for every airplane out there. One contract. One list. Or something even less complicated like being able to bid for company vacanies nationalwide.

What if you want to be closer to home or further from home;) What if you want to be closer to the kids than the exwife. Or your parent is ill this year, so you can bid for a company that has a base closer to where they live.

No more starting over at 50, and having to make regional pay. A company starts up they have to pay the same as everyone else. No more short term sacrifices for long term loses instead of gains.

Do you really think you are untouchable? This latest hiring was the shortest for the legacies I have seen. Will management ever return airlines to normal profit margins?

Are you tired of the uncertainty 5 years from now? What about 10 or 15 years from now? Do you really think your company will look the same?

Here comes open sky. Will it be freely open or fairly open? Do you think it will be to our advantage or disadvantage like other free trade agreements with other countries. Will those governments subsidize their airlines and try to kill American Airline companies?

The only problem is Military guys with 20 years will be off to a late start unless we count their time in the military towards seniority.

As things seem to be spiraling down... how far should we let them use our egos against us? The "I can get ahead of you mentality."

I bet the young guys don't like this. They are so young. What will the company you get on with under the age of 30 look like when you are 50? For the 50 year olds. How are your friends fairing compared to you? Who will be the 10% of us that have 30 years on the same list?

Or should that be 100% of us?

P.S. Have you ever noticed how the books of one company can be much better than some others. With the transfer of knowledge between companies safety concerns or ideas would be well known. There would be a push for cost reductions due to Pilot movement.

There would be a push to streamline airplane and company manuals. How many different things are there really to flying an airplane type? Training events, and profiles would be similar in the long run. SOPs would be nationwide, and safety concerns would not just apply to the company that had to solve a problem because of an incident.

Ie. The low speed limits and altitude limits of the CRJ were well known at Comair, but not at Pinnacle. And now due to an accident we all know about corelock. It takes an accident for the knowledge rights/secrets of other company manuals to be known.

Last edited:
So lemme ask you this? What is the bases for you hire date on the national seniority list. I've changed jobs in this industry. do I get my Mesa date or my swa date? I'll agree it would be nice to have to make changing jobs happen. what happens if an Air Tran guy gets bumped by an AA 35 year guy who got fed up? We've been seniority based always. who gets screwed?

Never gonna happen, for a multitude of reasons.

We all hitch our wagon to a particular horse, and go where that particular ninny dictates. Some enjoy a mostly pleasant ride, while for others they get a broken wheel or three.

Just because your chosen trail went rough doesn't allow you to cut line in front of those who took another path...

What was it that Ernest Gann always said? "The numbers never lie"...

JT, you and I both work for a non-ALPA carrier. How do you think we could ever be included in any sort of national seniority list? We just have our tiny little ineffective union that is not part of the THE pilot's union. The hope of ever having a national list is dependent upon ALPA. They are the only ones that even have a snowball's chance in hell of accomplishing such a thing. Want a national list? First step is to get everyone under one union.

national list

A national list that allows you to hop from carrier to carrier will never, never, never, never happen. Pilots are too willing to screw eachother to get more planes, more flying, etc.

I think something that could or should happen is that every company is forced to pay the same rate for a A320, B757 etc... But that would take some serious work by ALPA and non-ALPA carriers alike...

I've seen several of threads on this subject across multiple boards and one thing is constant - the naysayers.

I'm of the school where you don't care how tough things are you get 'em done whatever it takes. I know lots of you guys have seen tons of BS over the years, but doing nothing is simply not better than doing something.

Step 1 - Develop the list based on union seniority. That's right - I'll give my job to a guy whos senior to me. We'll hammer out the details as we progress - but damn lets get it written down on paper first.

There are WAY too many conflicting dynamics already in place to actually make it work smoothly. Too much inherent divisiveness. Besides, the current system behooves airline management and their accountants.

Dude - Step 1.

Too many of us are going to spend our entire professional lives hopping between year 5 and year 1 pay. Screw that.

Latest resources

Back