• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Applying to skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Does not change the point of this thread. SkyWest is not an employer of choice given the other opportunities in the marketplace.

Last edited:
I already said what seprates us from Gojet pilots.

I was on the OC and from what I saw there were a couple thing working against us. Without putting words is people's mouths here are my opinions.

First of all 1/3 of our pilot group is under about 14 months of seniority. In this time there has been growth so many were not abused on reserve, and got a good line quickly so the staus quo was fine.In other words why fix it if it ain't broke? Or simply many believed ALPA couldn't make it better.

Secondly a huge chunk of our pilots have come form ALPA carriers and have had bad experiences, which i believe may have had an influence. I personally think this is faulty logic because ALPA is not the defining difference between us and other regionals. What are you gonna say to a guy who got screwed at MESA for years? What are you gonna say to the guys he flies with, that's gonna change their mind?

Another thing that hurt us was every vote was a no vote unless the called. Had the vote been based on a majority of who voted, if SAPA was on the ballot i think ALPA might have won. But thats not the way the vote works so ****. I am happy with the result? Hell no.

Fair enough. Good explanation of your viewpoint.

Would you, as an experienced observer of this industry, suggest that a friend trade their precious youth for a SkyWest seniority number over the other options out there now?

That is the question.

Absolutely I would! Skywest is a great company and one of the best regional airlines.... In fact if I could make a lateral move and take my ATR with me, I would be there faster than Rez O Lewshun can pick up his ALPA pom poms....

You have moved on to Delta and I support your decision...... Please respect those of us who now work for Skywest Inc..... ALPA has done far more harm in terms of competing for flying than SGU has ever done.....

Find me one and I'll bid the son of a gun, then let you know.

Truly it is incredible that the pilot who does IOE on a 150,500lb jet makes the same money a IOE LCA makes on ASA's CRJ200. No wonder SkyWest management has been figuratively seen around skunkworks with a copy of the PWA a gas can and matches.

Fins, mainline pilots at Delta, USAirways, and Northwest have underbid the CMR and ASA 700 rates in order to "recapture" flying.... I call it underbidding.... NWA and USAirways pilots are now flying these aircraft for less than ASA.....

Why did DALPA negotiate lower rates for the Ejets? Skywest pilots are not the problem..... The more you guys defend ALPA and blame Skywest pilots, the more harm you do to every getting another regional pilot group to join ALPA......

Oh come on.... You saying SkyWest is a better deal than ASA?

I support your decision to stay on the ATR and earn more than a good half of pilots at the Legacy carriers, but you would rather work directly for SGU with no contract, no bonus and earning what they think turboprop drivers are worth?

You are just writing that because you know you will not have to do it. I'd rather share a hotel room with Rose O'Donnel & the cast of The View on a 35 hour layover than work for Jerry and the boys. Yes, I'm writing that because I know I will not have to do it.

Oh come on.... You saying SkyWest is a better deal than ASA?

I support your decision to stay on the ATR and earn more than a good half of pilots at the Legacy carriers, but you would rather work directly for SGU with no contract, no bonus and earning what they think turboprop drivers are worth?

You are just writing that because you know you will not have to do it. I'd rather share a hotel room with Rose O'Donnel & the cast of The View on a 35 hour layover than work for Jerry and the boys. Yes, I'm writing that because I know I will not have to do it.

No fins..... I am writing it because it is the truth....

I have a good friend who works for Skywest and has for about 15 years now.... He also supports getting ALPA on the property.... However he likes Skywest and likes working for Skywest.... He will tell you it is a good company to work for...

Trying to demonize Skywest because they didn't fall for the Herndon snake oil salesman is inconsistant with the common sense I know you are capable of....

The fact is, there is more job security on the Skywest side of the house than the ASA side of the house...... I want the job security..... ALPA has proven many times that it can't provide that.....

I think that double breasted coat is buttoned too tight....

Last edited:
Absolutely I would! Skywest is a great company and one of the best regional airlines.... In fact if I could make a lateral move and take my ATR with me,
Or just step on anyone and try to sue them if they didn't agree with you, ala the rjdc!

I would be there faster than Rez O Lewshun can pick up his ALPA pom poms....
Speaking of pom poms, how are dan and jessee?

You have moved on to Delta and I support your decision...... Please respect those of us who now work for Skywest Inc..... ALPA has done far more harm in terms of competing for flying than SGU has ever done.....
I think its funny that all this rhetoric coming from a guy who's knee pads have permanent prints from under dan's desk, a guy who single handedly tried to do more harm to the profession than any scab has!

Trying to demonize Skywest because they didn't fall for the Herndon snake oil salesman is inconsistant with the common sense I know you are capable of....

I've told fins this before as well. for some reason, when it comes to skywest his fair and balanced approach goes out the window. sour grapes? I don't know, since he's moved on to DAL -congrats on that! my buddy there wonders why I don't take him up on his offer to push to get me an interview. I'm happy here, hope you're happy there.

As for me, SkyWest's imitation of Sherman's visit to Atlanta motivated me to bail. I no longer have a dog in the fight (or would I ever admit to ever having any dog in any fight these days) but SkyWest simply is not the first choice it once was due to the actions of its management and pilots. Proverbs 16:18-19 pretty much sums it up.

The fact that Delta was hiring had no motivation for you leaving, right? SkyWest did not decide to fly to ATL anymore than ASA chose to fly to SLC or LAX. You get your marching orders from the same people SkyWest does, mothership Delta.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back