• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Applying to skywest

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You seem like a nice kid. Why go to SkyWest? Go to Republic / Chautauqua and fly the E jets. Don't worry about SkyWest not wanting you, you don't want to be associated with them.

SkyWest pilots just made the group decision to try to undermine the profession by voting against working with other pilots to raise standards in our industry. By voting against a union they set themselves apart from the vast majority of airline pilots.

Worse, their motives continue to be driven by the hope of securing aircraft from other pilots who currently fly those aircraft. Growing by putting others out of work. Some of their Midwest jets are on their third, airline livery.

SkyWest is not a club I would want to be a member of and not something I would want on my resume. Besides, SkyWest has a large number of 50 seat jets and some of their major airline contractors are openly complaining about "arrogance" and the difficulty of working with SkyWest management. IMHO when you only have two customers and both are complaining as they make plans to park a number of 50 seat jets - it does not bode well for future stability.

The treatment you are getting from SkyWest now is an indication of how much they respect and value you....

...hear the crickets chirping?

Self absorbed members of the "Me" crowd there will now flame to oblivion, like I care. Lets see if they come back with any objective facts.

Last edited:
You seem like a nice kid. Why go to SkyWest? Go to Republic / Chautauqua and fly the E jets. Don't worry about SkyWest not wanting you, you don't want to be associated with them.

SkyWest pilots just made the group decision to try to undermine the profession by voting against working with other pilots to raise standards in our industry. By voting against a union they set themselves apart from the vast majority of airline pilots.

Worse, their motives continue to be driven by the hope of securing aircraft from other pilots who currently fly those aircraft. Growing by putting others out of work.

SkyWest is not a club I would want to be a member of and not something I would want on my resume. Besides, SkyWest has a large number of 50 seat jets and some of their major airline contractors are openly complaining about "arrogance" and the difficulty of SkyWest management to work with. IMHO when you only have two customers and both are complaining as they make plans to park a number of 50 seat jets - it does not bode well for future stability.

Flame suit on - go ahead capt. Me, Me, Me, fire away.

I second that opinion.

From what I know, Skywest won't send you a thank you letter or anything. Just be patient, and keep checking your junk mail folder. For some reason their email gets put in there....
Wow, these folks who write software are getting good.

Wow! So you recommend that someone go fly for Chautauqua because
[SkyWests] motives continue to be driven by the hope of securing aircraft from other pilots who currently fly those aircraft.

Maybe you should talk to an ExpressJet pilot about how much of their flying Chautauqua just took from them. THAT IS FUNNY.

Growing by putting others out of work. Some of their Midwest jets are on their third, airline livery.
ummmmmm............I don't think buying old Independance Airlines planes has much to do with anything I mean doesn't Chautauqua own a bunch of these too.

As far as the Delta and United being upset with SkyWest thats not accurate either.

Yeah, so anyways I'm all for encouraging young pilots to better the profession but I don't think flat out lying to people is the way to do it. ExpressJet takes along time to get back to people also. At SkyWest it has more to do with the meet and greet interviews taking president over the sent in applications than anything else. LIving in base is what I think you should really consider when choosing an airline.

I know of 2 people that got a call from ALPA CAL this week from non-union SKYW. Guess you are wrong again there, Finzie.....

Just the truth, no emotion.

PS. I voted for it as well.

Last edited:
ummmmmm............I don't think buying old Independance Airlines planes has much to do with anything
ummm, not unless you were an ASA pilot flying that airplane after your airline was acquired and SkyWest's President demanded pay cuts or you would lose that airplane. When ASA pilots refused to cut their pay in the face of record corporate profits the airplanes were transferred. Yeah, some 50 seaters too.
As far as the Delta and United being upset with SkyWest thats not accurate either.
Heard it with my own ears from the source. For independent verification I guess you could stop by a pilot lounge at DAL or UAL and ask a Chief. I don't think it's a secret considering SkyWest was notably absent from Richard Anderson's recent webcast which was posted on this board.
Yeah, so anyways I'm all for encouraging young pilots to better the profession but I don't think flat out lying to people is the way to do it.

ExpressJet takes along time to get back to people also. At SkyWest it has more to do with the meet and greet interviews taking president over the sent in applications than anything else.
Do you mean G.W. Bush, or precedence?

As for my "lying" let me encourage this future SkyGod to find a well informed pilot at either of SkyWest's two customers and ask, or call in to a Chief advising he is trying to map out his career and ask for advice.

In the past I've recommended SkyWest. Not any more, I think the market has moved on and both the SkyWest pilots and management have behaved in a way that reduces their opportunities going forward. Look at the comparative stock performance of the two; Republic Holdings and SkyWest. Apparently I'm not the only one who has these concerns.

Last edited:
1) We have three customers [um, fact].
2) Those aren't crickets you're hearing, they're violins [um, not fact, but likely true--and they're playing my heart bleeds for you]
3) To the yes-men, if you have strong scope as you all hope to have [and the iron-clad contracts], you should haven't to worry about losing flying you have, just about the flying that's up for grabs. All the benefits you suggest available by the union should protect you from the ununionized work-force, especially with 60,000 people on your side [um, fact, pilots do not enter into business agreements with other airlines, aircraft manufacturers or the like].
4) Our company simply has flexibility yours do not, and to this point, though that could change--things haven't been that bad, ceteris paribus.
5) I didn't know UAL and DAL were so unhappy with us, and, aaaahhhh, fact: neither do you [speaking of objective facts or lack thereof].

Generally, your posts make sense. This is not one of those times and I understand you're probably just frustrated by your own decisions. Why else would you feel the need to feel so protectionist and anti?

I know of 2 people that got a call from ALPA CAL this week from non-union SKYW. Guess you are wrong again there, Finzie.....

Just the truth, no emotion.

PS. I voted for it as well.
There are good folks at SkyWest who did vote for inclusion in the profession and they deserve credit.

It is the unfortunate nature of this business to paint pilot groups with a broad brush. As recruiters and pilots on hiring boards make the generational change there will probably be an adversion to GoJets and SkyWest pilots. I'll admit this bias is entirely unfounded without knowing the individual.

Still, I would not want to work for SkyWest when Republic Holdings and other carriers with a better reputation and future are hiring.

Besides, call in legitimately fatigued and get harassed until fired? Who would want to work for that outfit without some support?

Last edited:
1) We have three customers [um, fact].
You are right. Should have noticed that when writing about all the paint N688BR has had on it. Like the boy in orthopaedic shoes, "I stand corrected."
3) To the yes-men, if you have strong scope as you all hope to have [and the iron-clad contracts], you should haven't to worry about losing flying you have, just about the flying that's up for grabs.
They don't have very good scope. They did not listen to me. But you are blaming the victim for getting raped. I'm trying to tell her to put bullets in her gun. She isn't listening to either of us.
4) Our company simply has flexibility yours do not, and to this point, though that could change--things haven't been that bad, ceteris paribus.
You mean the flexibility to undercut other pilots agreements with your parent company to take their jets? Or you mean the flexibility of working without a contract? Not sure I follow you and my Latin was never good to begin with.
5) I didn't know UAL and DAL were so unhappy with us, and, aaaahhhh, fact: neither do you
It surprised me when I heard the presentation. Guess you can ask around or wait for the headlines - but this is the airline business - SkyWest was the flavor of the month, as was ASA a decade ago. Things are guaranteed to change.

As for me, SkyWest's imitation of Sherman's visit to Atlanta motivated me to bail. I no longer have a dog in the fight (or would I ever admit to ever having any dog in any fight these days) but SkyWest simply is not the first choice it once was due to the actions of its management and pilots. Proverbs 16:18-19 pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
My good friend Fins, with all due respect, you are way off base on this one...... You yourself supported a lawsuit against ALPA because of it's failure to represent the ASA and CMR pilots. In light of that, how can you blame the Skywest pilots for taking a pass on ALPA?

Why hire a union that is being sued by ASA and CMR pilots for DFR violations? The Skywest pilots were smart IMHO......

You cannot support RJDC and then question the motives of regional pilots who choose to not vote in ALPA.... Even the RJDC sees that this was a failure of ALPA, not the Skywest or Colgan pilots......

Latest resources

Back