• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

APAAD regrouping to challenge age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If that is the case, then why not put two age 60+ guys in the cockpit together?
I don't have a problem with that! It would be much better than putting a person who hasn't even solo'd in the right seat!

Hey Flybynite... here are more excuses:

I don't want to put up with the smell or have to change your diapers in the cockpit because you won't retire. I suspect most F/A's don't want to put up with that either.

I don't want to be forced to fly with some old captain whose night vision is "not quite like it used to be."

I want extra pay and extra B-fund percentage if I'm forced to fly with over 60 crowd. Call it the "senior home override." But guess what... management will force even more paycuts upon us because of you. Say hello to 35 year payscales. Retirement? What retirement? You don't need B-fund. You can fly til you die!

I don't want to wear out the oxygen mask next to my right knee because your bladder can't last more than 20 minutes.

I don't want to be stuck on reserve and drawing a substantially lower check while flying your entire bid line because you're calling in sick all the time.

I don't want to have to keep looking over to the left to see if you're napping when it's your leg.

I don't want to have to answer radio calls when I'm flying because you're having a senior moment or napping.

I know you enjoy your job. Unfortunately, you're no longer qualified to do it... I know that is a tough pill to swallow for APAAD egomaniacs, but all good things come to an end.

Hope you enjoyed the ride.... now hit the golf course, but don't break your hip.

Last edited:
Paul Emens retires on 29 Sep 08 (Not soon enough). I would imagine that there will be a huge party at SWA when he goes.

Hey Flybynite... here are more excuses:

I don't want to put up with the smell or have to change your diapers in the cockpit because you won't retire. I suspect most F/A's don't want to put up with that either.

I don't want to be forced to fly with some old captain whose night vision is "not quite like it used to be."

I want extra pay and extra B-fund percentage if I'm forced to fly with over 60 crowd. Call it the "senior home override." But guess what... management will force even more paycuts upon us because of you. Say hello to 35 year payscales. Retirement? What retirement? You don't need B-fund. You can fly til you die!

I don't want to wear out the oxygen mask next to my right knee because your bladder can't last more than 20 minutes.

I don't want to be stuck on reserve and drawing a substantially lower check while flying your entire bid line because you're calling in sick all the time.

I don't want to have to keep looking over to the left to see if you're napping when it's your leg.

I don't want to have to answer radio calls when I'm flying because you're having a senior moment or napping.

I know you enjoy your job. Unfortunately, you're no longer qualified to do it... I know that is a tough pill to swallow for APAAD egomaniacs, but all good things come to an end.

Hope you enjoyed the ride.... now hit the golf course, but don't break your hip.

I want to fly with you so you can remind me to flare.
I need you to translate a PDC.
I need you to remind me how to tune a VHF radio.

Geez, I'm 45, probably will retire at 60. But I would like the option. Hard to fathom but that's the way it is.

Sorry your life is going to be miserable for an extra 5 years. We all know it is going to change, just a matter of when.

By all means continue to work overseas or in a non-part 121 operation.

Fly till you die. But you knew that SWA did not have a pension style retirement the day you hired on. You knew age 60 benefits you in your career. And you knew you had to be ready for your next job or retirement by age 60.

Your poor planning is not my emergency.

And I am not naive about anything. I know a screw job the moment I see it.

Why should I go over seas? I am happy in this country. Why should I change jobs? Happy with the one I have. Poor planning, I don't think so. Like I said keep using the worn out excuses, they don't apply.

What you really mean is:
I enjoy my job and want the option to continue in the left seat. I refuse to move back to the right seat. I don't care who suffers due to my greed or how much I compromise the safety of airline operations.

Move back to the right seat? Didn't see that requirement. Must be one of your compromises again. Know what I mean is I like my job and want the opportunity to continue working. Why are so vehemently opposed to change? You took your leave of absence, will come back when conditions best suit you. Your short time at United means retirement won't be much of a player so you can go at 60, 55, 50 or never go back. Your choice.

Andy,
Some bonehead on the swapa forum is saying that all appropriations bills that were roled over to the 110 congress will also have all attachments including S65. I didnt think this was true, can you give me some ammo?

For all my Southwest brothers who are pro change I ask you one question. What happens when we quit growing and upgrades stop. Will you still be a pro change guy?

The guys hired pre 9/11 upgraded in 4 years. It will take me 6.5 years plus.

Gup

If/when we quit growing, I will remain pro change simply because I believe that the rule is baseless and wrong. If someone can come up with some convincing data to support keeping the status quo, I can live with it. But, if not, the rule should be changed. Yes, in your scenario, upgrades will slow quite a bit, but upgrading is not an entitlement, unless you can negotiate that in your CBA.

Many of those hired pre 9/11 did upgrade in considerably less time. They also flew less productive schedules ($), flew with fewer benefits, and most had to pay for the type before they could even apply.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back