Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is from YOUR source:

In 1990, the FAA contracted with Hilton Systems,
Incorporated, for a study of accident rates, flying experience, and age. Accident rates for
the period 1976 through 1988 were analyzed for pilots holding Class 1, 2, or 3 medical
certificates and operating under Parts 91, 121, or 135. Kay, Hillman, Hyland, Voros,
Harris and Deimler (1994) reported "… no hint of an increase in accident rate for pilots

of scheduled air carriers as they neared the age of 60”

You need to read deeper. The CAMI reports point out the flawed logic in the Hilton Systems study.

Using these premises it then becomes logical that they could continue to "nap in cruise" for at least five more years without consequence!

Yes. I'm hoping to die peacfully in my sleep, like my uncle. I'd hate to be awake and die in an aircraft accident like his passengers. :)

Boy, you guys must be a real joy to fly with.

Personally I don't give a damm if they raise the age or not, but on second thought I'd prefer thay leave it at 60 so I wouldn't have to fly with the self serving twits that seem to dominate this board.

Just out of curiosity do you guys have the guts to express these sentiments to the older Captains you fly with? I think not.

What a bunch of loser's

Sovt

SOVT, some 57/67 operators fire people for having a position. I know of operators like that who's pilots move up the list monthly by the last five guys fired every month. Getting to captain is just a matter of how long you can keep your mouth shut and not get violated.

But as you said lets just keep age 60 and can this whole conversation.

Last edited:
SOVT, some 57/67 operators fire people for having a position. I know of operators like that who's pilots move up the list monthly by the last five guys fired every month. Getting to captain is just a matter of how long you can keep your mouth shut and not get violated.

But as you said lets just keep age 60 and can this whole conversation.

As I said, just a bunch of gutless wonders. No fortitude, no conviction just a bunch of whining children hiding behind the skirts of internet anonymity. It is a casual observation the worst of these guys are regional kids, Southwest or Southwest wannabees, not the non-union folks you are talking about

Continuing ---

Air Carrier Incident Rates (per 1000 pilots)
Involving Air Carrier Pilots: 1990-1999

samschart.gif

FAA statistics show that air carrier pilots aged 60 and over have a superior safety record as compared to other pilot age groups within either Part 121 or Part 135.
[As reported in Chicago Tribune, July 11, 1999.]

If that is the case, then why not put two age 60+ guys in the cockpit together?

Just out of curiosity do you guys have the guts to express these sentiments to the older Captains you fly with? I think not.

I post all of this on the UAL ALPA webboard where anonyminity is NOT an option. In fact, a certain outspoken United captain who has been quoted in newspapers and posts regularly on this board has even sent e-mails to me. Any United pilot can easily find out my name. I will be more than happy to discuss my opposition to the change when I return to United from mil leave in June 2009. However, I doubt that this issue will register at that time since our contract becomes amenable in 2009.

I've offered up compromise solutions, but I do not get many responses from those who wish to change the rule. http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=88857 I'm not going to champion any change; I'm perfectly happy with the status quo.

Last edited:
Assuming they raise the retirement age to 65 (which I hope they don't), that would mean a 23 year-old who gets hired hired at GoJets would have a 42 year career with them.

The other night, while standing in line at a local eating establishment, the couple behind me made the same order (two buffets) yet they paid a much lower price. When I asked the cashier why, she told me they get a senior citizen discount. They didn't look senior. Nonetheless, I told her, "that's age discrimination."

Both the couple and the cashier looked at me like I was from another planet.

Latest resources

Back