Anyone fly for Gulfstream out there?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Amen to market forces.

We all have to remember tht we are a part of those market forces. Active discouragement of something that we perceive as having a negative impact on our business is a responsibility for those of us who see aviation as a special business, one worth preserving as a profession that requires more than a checkbook for entry.

If we fail to communicate the downside of PFT to the young pilot and the aviation industry, we have only ourselves to blame.

Re: the old thread has life.....

de727ups said:
Bobbysamd...I've never thought you to be "bitter" as James called you....and I've always enjoyed your posts. He thinks your bitter because you disagree with his position.

Thanks, my friend. I just try to state the facts as I see them. I'd love to see proof that I was wrong. Then, I'd recant everything I've said about age discrimination. That will happen on a cold day in July. I'd admit to a certain amount of sour grapes - who wouldn't have them in my position? Don't forget people who are ousted from training only because some punk ground or sim instructor didn't like them. Along with a termination, these folks have a PRIA problem to deal with, as well.

It's too bad you couldn't make what you're making now as a PFI...professional flight instructor....I think you'd be great at it.

Thanks, again. I turned in that direction after it was obvious I had no chance at the commuters. I would have been happy with that because I liked instructing. Still do. Maybe, someday . . . . .

never ending

Good to see we have not let this rest yet and the old and familar faces are back.

I guess that where I come from is that there is nothing fair about any of this. Is there age descrimination, of course. Does the chief pilots son get preference, yes. Can the companies presidents next door neighbor's son get ahead of you. Absolutely. Can someone who went throught the Gultstream or Comair or some other program get ahead past others with more time and talent, probably.

It is not a fair world. It is not a fair game. It is life. Does the guy who could afford the advance degree have preference over the one that could not, absolutely.

We can whine about it, bitch about it, but the only time we can really do anything about it is if we are the employer.

Whoever dug this one up out of the archives should get into politics. Just goes to show you whatever you quote on this board could be headlines next week.

Bobby,

Enough whining about your age and not getting a job back in early -90's, I know for a fact that at Mesa, there were older guys than you getting hired at the same time. Maybe your problem wasn't your age, it could have been a number of things. But I also know that when PFT started, it didn't exactly help us that didn't wanna pay, to find a job.

I just compare my quals to my peer group of flight instructors. Virtually identical and nothing of which I was aware that would give them an advantage.

Now, if you're talking about 40-year-olds with massive amount of freight, charter and turbine time, that's another story. No way I could compete with them. Just the same, Mesa was hiring plenty of flight instructors during those years.

I agree with your P-F-T comment wholeheartedly. That threw a wildcard into the mix for everyone.

GIA Fact Sheet

I'm still amazed at the level of attention a little "joke" airline can make. Here are some facts:

For those of you thinking about alerting the Florida media regarding Gulfstream Intl. Airlines, it has been tried and failed. They spend quite a bit on local advertisement ya know. God Bless Capitalism.

They have not had a fatal accident in their 15 year history. However there have been numerous incidents: doors opening in flight, gear failures, engine failures, smoke in the cockpit, gear up landings, hazmat transport, loading overgross, flying 20 pax in a 19 pax aircraft, etc.

They are the first scheduled airline into Cuba since the invasion. Imagine that, a flag carrier using Beech 1900s.

Did anyone mention that FOs in their PFT program are paid for every flight hour? That includes the 250 hours in the training contract. It starts at $8/hr and tops at $17/hr (circa '01).

A newly minted pilot in Florida can spend $18,000 to get his/her ratings--to make $8/hr teaching. Or they can spend equivalent money and log SIC time in a 1900D making $8/hr. Hmm...

No one has mentioned that over 35% of GIA's pilots are not US Citizens.

There are former Gulfstream pilots at virtually every major/regional airline in the US. I know of ones at ASA, United, American, Southwest, Northwest, SkyWest, Air Wisconsin, and CoEx.

Hope this sheds more light on the REALITY of what goes on at GIA.

I think the moderator should close this thread unless he's trying to set the record for the longest link around.. :)

Bottom line, it's pointless arguing this. People are questioning the integrity of those who offer to pay to sit in the required crewmember seat, in other words, paying for a job that should be a paying job, especially with thousands of qualified pilots on the street.

Moderator... PLEEEEEEEEEASE close this thread!

Sure would make for an interesting bar discussion, though, if we all got together!!

I agree, enough is enough. Hopefully, this discussion has helped to inform people about P-F-T, pro and con.

whats the point

Hello fellow aviators!! I'm new at this thread and from what i've been searching this is a great website with lots info on whats up. My deal is now is this: I was a formally student at Comair now i'm attending GULFSTREAM. Now as much as i've been reading other threads i surely wished i knew about this site. What i've been reading had made me ask myself questions about whats the ordeal with gulfstream. I concluded a couple of things. First its always the same people with the same opinions and i respect that since you guys have expierience. Second , fine i just learned the legacy of what you guys call " scabs" fine TC is a scab like they say and ok fine he is but i don't care i'm just training trying to make it so whats the deal! Third i'm not a rich kid this is all hardwork and loans. So to conclude this nonsense post i think that theres 2 reason why the PFT program is'nt respected:

I. Keeping it the old traditional way of CFI'ing ( which i don't mind)

II. If envy or jealously is part of it, is'nt this a team work of family of aviation? I mean if money was a issue sure i would CFI but i got the loans why not this way.

In conclusion dudes and dudets i've gotten both side of the story and i've gotten more positive about PFT then the negative ones. I understand that there's lots of qualified and super talented pilots out there but i know for a fact that if money was there , pft would be accepted. And for the dudes that have 400 hours and think that have 10 logs come on take it easy.

fly safe all

Latest resources

Back