Any Aloha info??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog said:
You're right... B737-200 flap operator :)

isn't it 6 months in the 200 as per the contract then you can bid over (or get junior assigned) to the 700?

That is my understanding. From what I've heard, people get junior assigned to the -700 after 6 months which brings up the question how easy/hard will it be to stay in the -200 after 6 months is up.

Doing the -200 interisland will be the same thing I'm doing right now except in a 737, and I really enjoy flying interisland and being home every night with my family.

Never done any long-haul stuff, but either way, I'm one happy camper.

-200 for six months after joining the line, not DOH. Currently no junior manning but never know with expansion. Base bids in June with the big switcheroo in November. Expect to be in -200 until at least then. Focus on -200 for now and don't worry about overseas, it will come. The boeing cockpit will fit your 6'10" frame and accompanying melon quite nicely! Congrats.

PS - Didn't know ALPA accepted articles written in crayon!

Thank you, J.

Yeah, I thought it was 6 months from joining the line and not the actual DOH till you can bid or get yanked into the -700. Personal preference is the -200 due to family and being home every night/morning, but whatever happens happens...

Did you know that before the invention of a type-writer, let alone word processor, ALPA was indeed accepting articles written in crayon? You must be referring to one of those.... ;)

Freight Dog,
Congrats on making it to the big time.

It's not sour grapes, but I'm not as happy for you as I would have been, if 33 of our guys hadn't just gotten a furlough notice (including "Jim" from this board) with probably a lot more to come.

It doesn't have anything to do with you guys on the line at AQ, but I do have a problem with our management cooperating with you on capacity and cutting our jobs, while AQ gets to expand and hire. At the same time, in an Aviation Week & Space Technology article a couple of weeks ago about the cost of doing business as an airline today, they showed that the airline with the highest cost per ASM (available seat mile) was Aloha. What I'd like to ask our management is; why are we cutting flights, furloughing employees and making life miserable for a lot of people, while cooperating with an airline who doesn't have to open its books like we do and has much higher costs than we do? But then, we don't even have an acting CEO yet, and a rudderless ship is hard to steer.

Hopefully this all works out in the end, but from where I sit right now, it's not a pretty picture.

HAL

Read the fine print

HAL,
Notice that the AW graph on pg 57 (18 nov issue) represents labor cost per ASM from only the 1stQtr Fy02! AND it's not adjusted for stage length.
I dont think that graph really shows much, and who knows what the real #'s are!!

Good Luck!

Hey Hal-

I feel bad as heck for those guys that are getting furloughed over there. It really is a terrible thing. Both of our companies are in dire straits right now. Both of them. You know the only way to survive is to grow....that's it. Aloha took the route of small aircraft and secondary markets. HAL is going big a/c big markets. I'm not sure what is best coming from Hawaii. On the mainland, its simple......Southwest works.....here its a differen't animal.....

All that being said, you know as well as i do the interisland market was killing both companies. We agreed to collude on routes. For some reason, HAL wanted to fly roughtly 10% more than we did this month. They had differen't demographics than we did. Fine. Differen't companies and differen't ways of thinking. When it comes down to it, we are both almost breakin' even....Long haul, differen't story. you guys go head to head with the majors, we don't....again, differen't way of thinkin'....

I don't want to be a pain, but I am so friggin' tired of hearing about how bad we are over here. The smartest thing in the world for these two barely surviving airlines was a merger. Why in anyone's name people didn't want that to go thru (besides the travel agents and people that are using our companies for next to nothing) is beyond me. Yet we still got so much opposition from next door. As a new company, NOT ALOHA, NOT HAL, but a new company, we'd actually be in a position to make our own market. No one could have touched us. Its really a sad deal....but....more to the point...you mentioned that you didn't like the way HAL cooperated with US. Read the filing. It didn't quite work that way!

The worst part is, I think it sucks that either of us, nay any airline has to layoff labor. It's not right. We all move into these jobs with a long term goal in mind. It bothers me to no end that, like you (or one of your other posters here) says, every year around xmas, people get furloughed. That's wrong. I truly hope that you all get recalled as soon as possible. We've all put in too much to be just casually booted aside for no other reason than poor company planning. Pure BS!

This round, we are fortunate over here at AQ. Some day in the future you guys will be over there. I really hope you don't gloat when the time comes. We sure as hell try not to. Congrats on the Cathay Pacific deal...that'll save some jobs!

Hey Freight Dog:

Class drop... I guess I meant what qualifications do the people in the new hire class have. Just to see where I would have stood amoung the people who had gotten hired.

Currently waiting for the 6 months to go by to reapply. Hope to be taking your place in the 200, when you get Jr assigned to the 700.

See you at Sandy's !

didn't know i could type that much

apologize for the manifesto's length up there....funny how long winded one can be at midnight after a BBQ. anyways, the rumors i've heard is a deal with CP for you guys headin' west. wet leasin' of course. i don't have too much more info on it, but if i hear more, i'll send it to ya. sounds like its a good deal tho....

Latest resources

Back