Any Aloha info??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sleepyhead

wondering if anyone has any info as to what is going on at Aloha. I heard they got approval from the ATSB.
Are they still interviewing? Any classes scheduled?

waiting game

from what i've been told, they have plans for a january class. they are running a class now in november, an upgrade in december, and planning for a jan new hire class. they picked up another new -700 this week and have two more coming shortly.

they did a major cutback in interisland flying as part of their anti trust agreement with hawaiian...aloha starts their major cutback in december and hawaiian is doing theirs in january.

anyone hear any more info on the hawaiian furloughs?

Here is what we've heard from the MEC about furloughs:

1. The Company has given us notice that they intend to furlough approximately 30 pilots in Jan 2003. Notifications should go out approximately December 1, 2002 for a possible January 15th furlough date.
2. Furloughs may continue through September 2003, and could reach somewhere over 100 pilots.
3. The last planned DC-10 flight is the end of May 2003, but may occur as early as March 2003.
4. The System Awards and Assignment Committee has requested a meeting with management to determine how they derived the number of furloughs needed.
5. We have asked for a business plan, proposed flight schedule, and for the staffing formula.
6. We are working with ALPA legal concerning scope clause issues.
7. For almost two years since the 767 has arrived, we have been working in a spirit of cooperation with management to reach a 767-transition agreement. We feel we need to have a 767 staffing formula before any furloughs are addressed.
8. The contract requires management to offer leaves of absence if they intend to furlough. As a result, we will ask again for surfer leaves, military leaves, and inquire about the use of early retirements.

Would they really furlough 100+ our of 450 pilots? I doubt it, considering they aren't going to reduce any of the 767 flying, and are talking about new destinations too.

It's gonna get ugly, but how ugly nobody knows right now.

HAL

oh man....

hey HAL...keep the faith! these furloughs come and go. what do they say, you aren't a real airline pilot until you've been furloughed at least twice! sorry to hear about HA, i agree with you though, they can't furlough 20% of their pilot group when they are talking expansion and new a/c! good luck man!

freight dog-

no i'm not in the pool, but a close friend works there at aloha. i'm gonna just let him use my name and stuff here now though. he can give better information than i can. i just kinda keep an eye on hawaii. i'd like to come over there someday....i'll have him get online in the next day or two so if you have any questions for him, give him a shout!

Hello! I just read what inseattlewa wrote and it is pretty much right on the money from what little I know. I am an FO for AQ and that is pretty much what they are telling us.....

Aloha Airlines reports profits

By Kelly Yamanouchi
Advertiser Staff Writer

Aloha Airlines earned $693,616 in the third quarter, as it returned to profitability for the first time since its proposed merger with Hawaiian Airlines was called off.

Aloha Airlines posted third-quarter profits, the company's first quarter of profitability since the proposed merger with Hawaiian Airlines failed earlier this year.
Advertiser library photo

This is the first quarter of profitability since the breakup of Aloha's planned merger with the larger Hawaiian Airlines earlier this year. Aloha, the state's second-largest airline, posted a $12 million loss in last year's fourth quarter, a $7.1 million net loss during the first quarter of this year and a $6.8 million loss in the second quarter.

For the third quarter, the airline earned $1.6 million on operations, compared with a $1.25 million loss a year ago, according to figures released by the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

Total operating revenue was $90.1 million, and the airline's operating expenses came to $88.5 million, including $34.4 million for salaries and benefits.

Aloha, a private company, is not required to report earnings to the SEC but does file income statements with the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

Aloha has said it will reduce its interisland schedule by about 20 percent starting Dec. 2 under a plan to split capacity with Hawaiian Airlines on some routes.

Aloha recently was given a federal antitrust exemption to cooperate with Hawaiian on schedules. Both airlines have said they have lost money on interisland service.

To further reduce its costs, Aloha is asking its unions, representing some 3,000 employees, to take a 10 percent wage cut over the next three years.

The wage concessions, if agreed to by the unions, are expected to save the airline about $37 million over the three years.

Aloha said the pay cuts are part of its proposal for $40.5 million in loan guarantees that were given conditional approval by the Air Transportation Stabilization Board.

According to the report released yesterday, Aloha had $19.4 million in cash on hand, up from $18 million in the second quarter.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Nov/23/bz/bz02a.html

Finally some good airline news.
I hope this means hiring will continue even though
they are dereasing inter-island flying.

Freightdog,
Any news at Island that they will increase
inter-island flying when Aloha and Hawaiian
cut back?

Who knows... we're sort of overstaffed per Island Air president's request. I think the future classes at Island Air depend on how many go to Aloha.

Where Island Air may benefit is if Hawaiian pulls out of LNY and MKK, then we would probably add more flights there. But that remains to be seen. We are increasing flying in December, but not by too much. As for interisland nonstop flying between the 5 main Hawaii airports, we are subject to Aloha's scope clause that basically says only Aloha Airlines pilots. Pretty cut and dry.

Latest resources

Back