• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Freight Dog said:
Aloha Airlines reports profits

By Kelly Yamanouchi
Advertiser Staff Writer

Aloha Airlines earned $693,616 in the third quarter, as it returned to profitability for the first time since its proposed merger with Hawaiian Airlines was called off.http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Nov/23/bz/bz02a.html

VERY INTERESTING as I think this is the first time AQ posted any profits or losses ever. They are a private company and do not need to disclose this info. Maybe they are just fluffing their feathers for the public at large to prove they are doing OK in such a turbulent time.

Aloha new hire class

I got this accurate info from somebody that knows.

2 Navy C-130 Commanders
1 USAirways f-100, 737-200 First Officer (and ex Mesa CRJ captain)
1 Island air Dash-8 Captain
1 HANG F-15 pilot
1 Female executive air 737 first officer
1 Horizon F-28 Captain
AND 1 MESABA SF-340 FIRST OFFICER NO PIC, NO TURBOJET, LIMITED EFIS, 100% PURE LOCAL BOY.

Would the Island Air CA be our very own Dash Trash?

Got Jumpseat, Do you know when that class starts? I hope you're correct and it is consistent with the rumor that we were hiring another class soon. I hope it isn't the class that just finished Friday, I know it had an F-28 guy in it.

With regards to your comment about the reporting of a profit, I believe the reason that was put out there, is because of the negotiations we are in with the company. Management is being forced to show us its books for the first time. Personally, I do not trust the numbers we receive fully.

One question, why did you capitalize the mesaba 'local boy' new hire? Just curious......Where you flyin' now?

AQ PILOT said:
Got Jumpseat, Do you know when that class starts? I hope you're correct and it is consistent with the rumor that we were hiring another class soon. I hope it isn't the class that just finished Friday, I know it had an F-28 guy in it.

With regards to your comment about the reporting of a profit, I believe the reason that was put out there, is because of the negotiations we are in with the company. Management is being forced to show us its books for the first time. Personally, I do not trust the numbers we receive fully.

One question, why did you capitalize the mesaba 'local boy' new hire? Just curious......Where you flyin' now?

I thought it was a new-newhire class but now i think it might be the class that just finished. I was copying something over from my e-mailbox a lot of people send me stuff. The BOLD was the initial sender's emphasis not mine. I think he emphasised the 100% local boy because no PIC time and no Jet time either. He was trying to encourage me because I have low time considering what i am up against. I live in Honolulu now been on Oahu 25 yrs since keiki days. I fly the CRJ-200 for Mesa.

That did kind of suprise me. I thought I had read somewhere that you were from the islands. So you're in the RJ at Mesa. Tell me you're based in PHX...I have a great friend out there that flies the RJ out of there as a Capt. And I do think having the 'local' connection helps, obviously, but it sure isn't a requirement! Good luck getting on. We are gonna be doing some serious hiring from what I've been told....

AQ PILOT said:
That did kind of suprise me. I thought I had read somewhere that you were from the islands. So you're in the RJ at Mesa. Tell me you're based in PHX...I have a great friend out there that flies the RJ out of there as a Capt. And I do think having the 'local' connection helps, obviously, but it sure isn't a requirement! Good luck getting on. We are gonna be doing some serious hiring from what I've been told....

Yah, PHX based. I hope Aloha picks me. Things could go real bad this year if we strike and I dont have a flying job. New keiki on the way compounds the stress. Good thing my wife stresses enough for the both of us so I am worry-free. :eek:

"We are gonna be doing some serious hiring from what I've been told...."

AQ pilot,

What exactly have you heard?
From my info, there are only 11 pilots in the pool and all
of those will be in a new hire class in Jan.
So if they are planning on some major hiring, shouldn't they be having interviews?

From what I've observed in the past, Aloha hires enough people for the next class and puts them in the pool. When they run a class and empty the pool, they interview and replenish it if they plan to continue hiring.

AQ

HAL-
Hey man, I just heard from one of your guys today about the cuts. 43... That is so not right. He also mentioned that there were supposed to be a lot more to follow? I truly am sorry about that. I hope this is just a seasonal thing and you're up and flying again in no time. Keep the faith man. What was your class date?

Hog-

My informal understanding of our hiring plans is this. We are going to be running either an upgrade class or a new hire class every month for the near to mid term future, i.e. 2-6 months. Where are you flying now? Our training department is pretty small, and we've been growing like mad for the past few years. It is tough for us to have a large pool and be interviewing all of the time.

I agree with freight dog, for the most part anyway. Aloha is famous for calling the same week of the interview, hiring a day or two after, and putting you in a class the following Monday. Happened to me and a bunch of the guys I know. Latest rumor is 5 more airplanes next year. We are already short staffed, even though the interisland reduction took place, we are still hitting the minimums for reserves. Personally, I see a doubling in the size of our fleet in the 2 years....so another 5 aircraft in '04. That is only my guess..and that with $5 will get you a cup of coffee downtown. Most of what I hear is only rumors, although from time to time I do swing into ops and ask a few questions....

Freight Dog-

You're in the pool aren't ya?

Got Jumpseat-

PM me with your name, I'd like to ask my buddy if he knows ya!

Re: AQ

AQ PILOT said:
Personally, I see a doubling in the size of our fleet in the 2 years....so another 5 aircraft in '04. That is only my guess..and that with $5 will get you a cup of coffee downtown. Most of what I hear is only rumors, although from time to time I do swing into ops and ask a few questions....

Freight Dog-

You're in the pool aren't ya?

Man, that better be some GOOD pure Kona coffee :)
Yep, I'm in the pool.

Latest resources

Back