• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Another MU2 down...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Bizijet; Thanks for your refreshing, concise comment on the SFAR requirement and the FAA seeking out those with the broadest background in the airplane. If there is any thrust to this whole bruhaha it is exactly that. Let's get the Feds to really look at the training requirement in the MU2 and admit that what one learns flying a conventionally controlled ME aircraft does not transfer to the MU2. This seems to me that this would be the logical place to start to improve the safety record of the airplane. But, the Feds first have to conclude that there is a basic differece with the MU2 and take a positive approach to identifying training deficiencies of the operators. As we all know too well, the Feds do not like to rethink a lot of the things they have stood on historically. This is one of those things and the upshot of all of this (I hope) will be for them to look more closely at the things that can be corrected and implement procedures to do just that. Happy Day and Hugs, Dad

Originally Posted by avbug:
"I have absolutely no problem with dying in an airplane, so long as it's not my fault."

poor carpenter blames his tools???

training requirement in the MU2
I think thats the best idea, theres no way they are going to can all the MU2's. The only way you can make it a safer plane for some people is to mandate (sp) a training req. I would start by sending them to www.mu2b.com

Tadpoles said:
Once again, i'll take a little poll (no one seemed to respond to it the last time, so i'll try again, a little more general this time): WHO HERE HAS LOST A FAMILY MEMBER TO A PLANE CRASH???? just simply answer, that's all i'd like.

Still....no answers...

bizijet said:
The answer to this question is simple. More training period. To highlight this I submit that Frank Robinson, the creator of the R22 and R44 line of helicopters experienced a high number of accidents ( some fatal ) with his helicopter. Frank knew that the problem was from lack of training for a specific type, not the helicopter. Frank worked with the FAA and proposed a self induced SFAR for his chopper.

As a result of this SFAR, Frank requires that you have a minimum of 100 hrs before you can be PIC of his helicopter. The MU2 needs a SFAR, which should help reducing the accidents in the Mu2. Training has always been the answer. I have flown the Mu2 once for 1.3 hours. I hand flew the plane up to 17,000 feet and I can tell you that this plane is awsome. What I didn't like is rotating at 100 knots and being vulnerable from 100 knots to 150 knots while climbing. This speed is where the Mu2 problems occur. Lose an engine between those speeds and you had better be on your game.

I flew the plane on two engines and have flown it with a Cheif Pilot for a Cargo outfit that uses Mu2's exclusively. I flew a passenger version of the MU2 with him and I learned a lot about the plane. He has had numerous engine failures in his thousands of hours in Mu2's and he must know what he is talking about and how to fly the plane because he is still here. These guys are the ones the FAA needs to talk to and come up with scenario based training with them.
Alas...
The light of reason and understanding! Thank you.

'Sled

WNRHD17 said:
.I am posting under my username, WNRHD17. my birthday is next week and you better get me something good.

How about a free flight in a MU2?

Last edited by a moderator:
skyking1976 said:
It is not OK for me to die in an airplane.

OK I think we are getting closer to you understanding me. No I don't speak for everyone; when I say 'we' I mean those who agree with my philosophies of less government involvement and more freedoms. Yes this means more risk and I am willing to accept this as I think a lot of pilots are.

Our main differences are this:
You want to impose your wishes (more regulations, the withdrawl of an airplane from service, aviation restrictions, loss of freedoms) on all who might fly.
My wishes impose NOTHING on you or anyone else.

I swear, that over the years - if this kind of pressure by well-meaning people continues, by the year 2025 we will have only the one 'government-approved' airplane left to fly in this country, and you will have to fly it in very tightly controlled circumstances. Aviation will be not a bit of fun (we have shades of this already!) and will have no attraction for people like Paul, myself, and many people here.

The goal of zero accidents and no fatalities in aviation is honorable but comes (to me) at the intolerable cost of our freedoms. It all originates in the public's unreasonable fear of aviation accidents. Why does no one take such actions regarding the insane THIRTY THOUSAND PLUS DEATHS due to road wrecks each year? Its an over-reaction; Im afraid.

Latest resources

Back