• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR Merger will erode Pilot Retirement Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Do you have any turbojet time?" says the Captain on the big airline hiring board.

"No, I have 4,500 of turbine time in a turbo prop though," says the pilot applicant.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We are looking for those that have turbojet time in large aircraft. Props dont count."

Quit relaxing scope, then forcing the younger pilots to fly large jets!

what about all the free market arguments that are heard here so often.
The regionals only pay that low because there is a ready and willing pool of applicants to accept that level of pay.

Were you hired on directly from CFI to a major? The ONLY people to blame for the regionals, and I mean ONLY ones, are the ones that gave up scope. Some of it was given in bankruptcy with no choice, but there is also some given up for pensions. I know I don't want these regional jets here. I want them at mainline. Give me one thing I can do about it as a regional pilot. Am I suppose to quit and say this isn't right and hope like hell a major will hire me without any recency? How about strike like Comair to get better wages? That seemed to work well...

This^^^^

"Do you have any turbojet time?" says the Captain on the big airline hiring board.

"No, I have 4,500 of turbine time in a turbo prop though," says the pilot applicant.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We are looking for those that have turbojet time in large aircraft. Props dont count."

Quit relaxing scope, then forcing the younger pilots to fly large jets!

And this^^^

Tail hook- you don't get it and least respectable refuse responsibility for what legacy pilots created and management took advantage of. No regional pilot ever got a vote on scope.
As for the free market quip- the "free market" is so compromised by regulation, recency, seniority, and contracts, that to call it a 100% free market is truly ignorant. Have you seen Comair? The one regional that attempted to stand up for higher wages has been downsized to a fraction of itself- the regionals are an unrelenting whipsaw who's only purpose is to divide the pilots, divide our career, and play each company against the next- Comair gets too strong, and a little Saab operator named Chautauqua gets the new contracts and built up to the Rupublic we have today-
This is all controlled by mainline carriers guaranteeing profits to shell companies who will help them gut our profession.
It's a diabolical mainline mgmt plan- and one that we should all fight against- but believe me- as the poster I quoted above said- if legacy pilots signed off on outsourcing the 737/320 sized jets- that would just extend and divide the career more- and the "majors" would make 737/320 time the defacto competitive mins-

I could go on a lot longer- but from your posts- you won't understand

Tail hook- you don't get it and least respectable refuse responsibility for what legacy pilots created and management took advantage of. No regional pilot ever got a vote on scope.
As for the free market quip- the "free market" is so compromised by regulation, recency, seniority, and contracts, that to call it a 100% free market is truly ignorant. Have you seen Comair? The one regional that attempted to stand up for higher wages has been downsized to a fraction of itself- the regionals are an unrelenting whipsaw who's only purpose is to divide the pilots, divide our career, and play each company against the next- Comair gets too strong, and a little Saab operator named Chautauqua gets the new contracts and built up to the Rupublic we have today-
This is all controlled by mainline carriers guaranteeing profits to shell companies who will help them gut our profession.
It's a diabolical mainline mgmt plan- and one that we should all fight against- but believe me- as the poster I quoted above said- if legacy pilots signed off on outsourcing the 737/320 sized jets- that would just extend and divide the career more- and the "majors" would make 737/320 time the defacto competitive mins-

I could go on a lot longer- but from your posts- you won't understand

And this^^^

It will be our fault if the 737s get outsourced to us because we are cheaper. We should all just quit if the majors relax scope more. That would really show them. :rolleyes:

The regionals only pay that low because there is a ready and willing pool of applicants to accept that level of pay.

"Oh, I'm sorry. We are looking for those that have turbojet time in [large] aircraft. Props dont count."

So, what were are those RJ pilots supposed to do to become competitive for the majors?

This is classic. Pilots fighting between themselves.The management types that are on this site must be having a good laugh. What a pity.

So, what were are those RJ pilots supposed to do to become competitive for the majors?

Competitiveness is entirely dependent on the supply of pilots available. If the mainlines dumped the RJ operators and replaced them with 737s in those markets, turboprop time would be the qualification you needed to get hired.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back