• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AMR Merger will erode Pilot Retirement Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You new guys I fly w/ who come from the regional/feeders are all the same, with a few exceptions. You all want a quick upgrade and whine when you don't get it and have to sit reserve for years and work the holidays. You talk about how great airline x is to work for b/c it's better than.... mesa/pinnacle/mesaba/xjet/psa/tstates... most of you don't have kids and your wife works.

So you all are happy to be working at a company w/ better work rules and a more professional pilot group. Yet you won't look around and realize you are working under concessionary wages w/ poor health care and poor retirement.

You are all now at a Major airline. It's supposed to be better than your feeder you came from... that's the whole idea.

Now you are whining that since you have been so proficient in gaining our routes with ever bigger planes you won't have the opportunity to make it to a Major for a long time...

I'm not greedy... and I can feel for you, but this time I really don't care. I was on the corner in 02-05 watching you take more and more of my seat miles while you got your quick upgrades... what goes around comes around.

Don't worry... I'll retire in 22 years... you can have my left seat then. Until then, we work for a seniority based multi tiered system... wait your turn and keep climbing. That's how it works. You are not entitled to anything. Some times you get knocked back or frozen in position or even have to restart... that's life. Get used to it.

Your little quick start in this industry is over. The line just got long again. Take a number, keep flying that RJ, keep it out of the trees and continue to update your resume.

Your turn will probably come.

Tail

You new guys I fly w/ who come from the regional/feeders are all the same, with a few exceptions. You all want a quick upgrade and whine when you don't get it and have to sit reserve for years and work the holidays. You talk about how great airline x is to work for b/c it's better than.... mesa/pinnacle/mesaba/xjet/psa/tstates... most of you don't have kids and your wife works.

So you all are happy to be working at a company w/ better work rules and a more professional ...blah blah blah
Tail

Wind check.

If this guy is already at a major and in the left seat, what is he bitching about? Does anyone actually have the retirement numbers for both US Air and AMR. I don't know for sure, but I think there would be hiring on a large scale no matter what happens.

If this guy is already at a major and in the left seat, what is he bitching about? Does anyone actually have the retirement numbers for both US Air and AMR. I don't know for sure, but I think there would be hiring on a large scale no matter what happens.

I agree. Most of the East Wheenies are very old, and the problem at AA is that many of the senior Captains and FOs are the same age, meaning both will fall of the cliff at the same time. If AA and US merge, most of the hubs will remain entact, meaning a large percentage of the flights will still be mainline. That means hiring to fill those seats eventually. The USAir West guys will actually benefit the most in a merger like this, with old people on both sides leaving.

Bye Bye---General Lee

So you all are happy to be working at a company w/ better work rules and a more professional pilot group. Yet you won't look around and realize you are working under concessionary wages w/ poor health care and poor retirement.

You are all now at a Major airline. It's supposed to be better than your feeder you came from... that's the whole idea.

Now you are whining that since you have been so proficient in gaining our routes with ever bigger planes you won't have the opportunity to make it to a Major for a long time...

I'm not greedy... and I can feel for you, but this time I really don't care. I was on the corner in 02-05 watching you take more and more of my seat miles while you got your quick upgrades... what goes around comes around.

Don't worry... I'll retire in 22 years... you can have my left seat then. Until then, we work for a seniority based multi tiered system... wait your turn and keep climbing. That's how it works. You are not entitled to anything. Some times you get knocked back or frozen in position or even have to restart... that's life. Get used to it.

Your little quick start in this industry is over. The line just got long again. Take a number, keep flying that RJ, keep it out of the trees and continue to update your resume.

Your turn will probably come.

Tail

Were you hired on directly from CFI to a major? The ONLY people to blame for the regionals, and I mean ONLY ones, are the ones that gave up scope. Some of it was given in bankruptcy with no choice, but there is also some given up for pensions. I know I don't want these regional jets here. I want them at mainline. Give me one thing I can do about it as a regional pilot. Am I suppose to quit and say this isn't right and hope like hell a major will hire me without any recency? How about strike like Comair to get better wages? That seemed to work well...

I never surrendered. They made my horse surrender. I bet he's pulling a wagon in Kansas somewhere...

I never surrendered. They made my horse surrender. I bet he's pulling a wagon in Kansas somewhere...

Endeavor to persevere...

Latest resources

Back