AMR Merger will erode Pilot Retirement Jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BrickTop

A merger between AMR and AIRWAYS will reduce the pilot deficiencies created by robust retirements. Staffing shortages are greatly mitigated by reduced overlap and duplicate labor positions in a merger. Don't expect movement in 2012 or even 2013, better yet Ever. With every passing era of staffing shortage the industry has employed reductions,capacity and consolidation tactics that negated hiring needs. The reality is half this industry will NEVER see a Major let alone an upgrade.

I think it has more t do with the world downturn economically, the world is hitting an economic brickwall, everyone is outsourcing to the cheapest provider, airlines are no different. We are a bellwether for the country, soon watch as lawyers from India provide your defence.

The reality is half this industry will NEVER see a Major let alone an upgrade.

Actually the problem is two fold:

1) major airline guys gave up scope and let the regionals fly 50 seat jets and then 70-90 seat jets.

2) you guys gobbled up those jobs like a kid eating candy at easter and wonder why you can't get to the majors...

Here's a hint... you are flying our routes but for chump change. Get used to it!

Tail

A merger between AMR and AIRWAYS will reduce the pilot deficiencies created by robust retirements. Staffing shortages are greatly mitigated by reduced overlap and duplicate labor positions in a merger. Don't expect movement in 2012 or even 2013, better yet Ever. With every passing era of staffing shortage the industry has employed reductions,capacity and consolidation tactics that negated hiring needs. The reality is half this industry will NEVER see a Major let alone an upgrade.

Lay off the cocaine...

Actually the problem is two fold:

1) major airline guys gave up scope and let the regionals fly 50 seat jets and then 70-90 seat jets.

2) you guys gobbled up those jobs like a kid eating candy at easter and wonder why you can't get to the majors...

Here's a hint... you are flying our routes but for chump change. Get used to it!

Tail

So we should have??????? Exactly!! When your greed gave way to scope relaxation, it stole any opportunity for anyone to start off at a major! You have to start somewhere and the regionals were hiring like crazy. Let me guess, you think we should fall on our sword for you right?? Typical greedy sh!t head mainliner.

The truth hurts... I never gave up that scope. It happend in the 90's when they gave up the 50 seat jet.

While I was furloughed for 5 years and couldn't find a job, you guys were enjoying your quick upgrades to your 70 seat jets and living high as a 20-something. Don't call me greedy. It goes both ways. You guys sucked up those jobs... now you are stuck in them w/ shrinking companies, b/c the 50 seater is no longer making money. Welcome to the industry... work your unions to pay you more... then maybe you'll all become as expensive as us and your jobs will go away and we'll get them back, hiring you onto our lists...

Don't cry to me about it. We've all lived it. Now it's your turn. Business sucks sometimes doesn't it?

Tail

Last edited:
The truth hurts... I never gave up that scope. It happend in the 90's when they gave up the 50 seat jet.

While I was furloughed for 5 years and couldn't find a job, you guys were enjoying your quick upgrades to your 70 seat jets and living high as a 20-something. Don't call me greedy. It goes both ways. You guys sucked up those jobs... now you are stuck in them w/ shrinking companies, b/c the 50 seater is no longer making money. Welcome to the industry... work your unions to pay you more... then maybe you'll all become as expensive as us and your jobs will go away and we'll get them back, hiring you onto our lists...

Don't cry to me about it. We've all lived it. Now it's your turn. Business sucks sometimes doesn't it?

Tail

Blame the pilots for taking a job at a regional? I guess they all should have joined the Navy and been pilots there?

I'm sure you're a gem to fly with.

He's got a point.

Latest resources

Back