Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Status
Not open for further replies.
And, yup. no matter who is at fault, whomever has the $$$ gets sued. Thats one fact you can count on.

You'd be surprised who or what (corporate entity) could be listed as defendants in a lawsuit after an incident like this...could be the company that designed the tires, the estate of the captain, the contract training facility, the contract mechanics and thier employer, the director of OPS, the company that painted the runway stripes, the airport manager, the plane manufacturer...and on and on.

O.J. Simpson got sued for wrongful death, in a murder that he was found not guilty of. Anything can happen.

Country Wild:

Of course there will be lawsuits, there always are so why start this thread in the first place, and another thing aviation tort cases take years or decades so I doubt a suit has even been filed yet. At least until the layers have all the facts and what they are dealing with. You seem to have a vendetta for Ameristar and to use such an occasion to start what so obviously will be a controversial and stupid thread shows poor taste and judgment. I am deeply pained by the losses of this crash and saddened for Lisa’s plight and long road to recovery, and if Ameristar is liable in any way they will be held accountable. This is not an appropriate time or forum to spread rumors and innuendo.

Regards:
LG.

Loco,

Loco...Loco...Loco..Son you missed the boat. I am not going to agrue about Ameristar this or that, I think Grandaire should be out of business as well. TW has a very interesting business philosophy and business model...if want to call it that...and a well connected brother. Any ways I was just asking about what I heard from some of my crew members. Yes I will admit I am not an Ameristar Fan, I have nothing against the pilots, we all need jobs. Just the management.

Fly Safe

justmeinmsp said:
I worked there in 2000 and even though I did not like the company, I never felt like it was an unsafe operation. The only unsafe thing that I could think of is going to unfamiliar airports in the middle of the night. Maint seemed ok, crews were good.

I'll second that. I flew there in 98 and I actually liked it...tough work, not the prettiest equipment in the world (but some of the best performing!). I even thought we got treated pretty well if you ignored the lousy scheduling practices they had at the time (3 weeks on, 1 week off -- now a thing of the past I understand). And the pay wasn't too bad either -- I took a 50% pay cut to go fly 121 and it took me 18 months and an upgrade to get back to the pay I made as an AJC FO.

It was a 135 Freight Op........if they don't like it, the door swings both ways and they're free to not apply there or leave if they want.

That being said, I've read the NTSB Prelim and I'll wait and see what their final is before giving my opinion on any judgement.

Last edited:
It is so sad to hear about the crash , I think Ameriistar shoul go to court for the crash , also grand air should be out of bussines after to many crashes.

On what grounds are you thinking of? Negligence, maintenance, training? What wisdom do you have to back up your beliefs? Speak up, don't just throw that out there like that? I am all ears.

I think Ameristar has a pretty good track record thus far considering the the type of flying they do. They fly mostly at night in all types of weather so (correct me please if I am wrong) 2 fatality accidents since the start of business is not bad.

Ameristar Accident

Country Wild,

Well, here we go again old buddy. You and me on legal issues.

I really try to control myself until the regularly believed points are exposed but the unchallenged issues come up. You may recall a discussion on crewmember liability and culpability following gross negligence some months back.

The real problem here is that it is very (I say again, very) difficult to bring suit against your employer in a tortious action after you are hurt on the job. The national worker's compensation rules and national Occupational, Safety and Health Adminstration just starts the process, then let alone the state's and locality's rules and issues. Then there's representation, collective barganing units and contracts ... could be a mess. In a right to work state, like Tejas (absent a contract) it's even more difficult. I doubt there is much of anything the poor Missy can do, and that's just plain sad. If not, it's wrong.

Most folks with a JD degree (any school, your choice, just pick it) will tell you it's a nearly fruitless undertaking. And I agree.

Knowing that, there's little chance the F/O has filed an action, least she or her representatives are wishing for a simple comfort settlement.

Her damaged family could have another case, however. And that's an intersting proposition. I wonder about her obligations to perform under a certain contract that you and others have mentioned. That's a contract I'd like to read.

OK, shoot from the hip, there you wiley ol' Texan. I'm locked and loaded. Let's see if we can help her, and our industry out of what could be one of it's darkest and stinkiest practices.

TransMach

Mr Freeze said:
I think Ameristar has a pretty good track record thus far considering the the type of flying they do. They fly mostly at night in all types of weather so (correct me please if I am wrong) 2 fatality accidents since the start of business is not bad.

I don't know what your standards of not bad are, but I think you are wrong and my correction would be: Any loss of life is unacceptable. Flying at night in any weather in old equipment can be and is done safely. I'm not knocking the Ameristar crews, I've met some good guys there and almost worked for them. This didn't have to happen, just wish I knew what went wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back