• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Eagle ..HIRING....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have another question. I just noticed that great lakes was hiring and they are only asking for 750 hours for SIC. I thought that the minimums were going to change because of 3407?

I wasn't being cynical before. If the regionals were required to hire at the ATP minimums then they would need to try and attract people to the job. It doesn't seem like that is going to happen.

Where did you see that they were hiring the link on the website does not work at the moment?

Correct, the fighting between AA and Eagle is dumb and severely counterproductive but it is like the Arab / Israeli conflict it will always be there. I spent 8 years at Simmons which became American Eagle Airlines while I was there. Let me tell you the work environment can be downright hostile at times. It sucks the life right out of you. I felt like I was paroled from prison when I left AEA several years ago. It's not just AA vs. AEA that is the problem either. Mgmnt / Labor relations are strained, the maintenance was not good, the San Juan commute for the junior is life changing, the RON hotels ran the gamut from very nice to filthy & unsafe, and if AA ever does start hiring they are very reluctant to hire a pilot away from Eagle.

I think your perception is a little dated. Management/labor have an excellent relationship right now and we accomplish alot with this. No they won't hand over pay raises and pina coladas, but we do get alot done. And I don't know of any Eagle pilot who would say our maintenance is the least bit shady. You want shady? Go to TSA. We took back a bunch of our EMBs that they had and we're still having issues nearly a year later. San Juan is different....word of advice: don't commute to SJU. You'll enjoy it more. Obviously not everyone has that choice, but I'd recommend it as I was based there for almost a year and a half. And I think our hotels are good for the most part. We have a bad one here and there, but the majority of stuff we stay at are Hiltons/Hamptons/Wingates, etc, etc.

Just my $.02.

I have a friend at Skywest that tried to find greener pastures, he's now stuck in a E120 as an FO and wishes he never left Eagle.

I have a friend that left Eagle looking for greener pastures too. He was an FO at Eagle and he's now a CA at Allegiant. Leaving worked out for him. Anecdotal evidence of good luck/bad luck stories doesn't really tell us much.

If a new guy asked me whether or not he should consider Eagle I'd say absolutely yes. Most guys will have to pass through a regional at one time in their aviation careers. Some will choose to stay. In either case you could do a LOT worse than Eagle. They pay as well as anybody else, their contract is better than most, decent pass benefits and they have enough bases to choose from to satisfy most peoples needs.

As an entry level job it's pretty good IMO. No matter where you go the first year sucks. Reserve, first year pay and commuting to a base you didn't choose is a PITA. It's a rite of passage.

Remember, all boats rise with the tide. Hiring at any large aviation employer is a good thing.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, after 911 ,AA furloughs ,allowing AA pilots to dislplace AE captains out of their seats ....600 of them for several years meanwhile ONLY 150 AE pilots flow to AA...SEEM FAIR TO YA????

Now, most AA pilots back to AA except a few who have been displaced to FO......

In the past , AA has warned their pilots of how "DANGEROUS" we are....and basically treat us like trash....WE say to them? You need to pay attention to your backyard....How has your safety record been in the last 20 years compared to Eagle. They tout themselves as the "Worlds Best Pilots" but I would check the hull losses in the past 20years.

We recently won a greivance where 250 AE pilots should have been recalled in 2007 and are working on intergration, NOW their even more PI$$ED now than ever.

That's enough......hope this helps....
What world do you live in? Your info isn't even correct. How are most AA pilot's back on property? There are 1900 of us on the street. 8 years and counting. It will be 10 years plus,before were recalled,if we ever are. We work for the same company. What do we gain by fighting amongst each other?[/QUOTE]

RIDER your're not reading my post correctly......When I mean most AA pilots back on property...I mean AA FLOWBACKS.....There are a few left at Eagle, mostly TWAers, who after the agreement expired , could only hold what their seniority allow them to hold..MAINLY FO seats. Therefore , they were displced to FO...as for the rest of the story its true.

We Eagles read many of your APA's propaganda and always amused at the misinformation given to you guys.

I know how many AAers on the street and I feel bad for them.

I think your perception is a little dated. Management/labor have an excellent relationship right now and we accomplish alot with this. No they won't hand over pay raises and pina coladas, but we do get alot done. And I don't know of any Eagle pilot who would say our maintenance is the least bit shady. You want shady? Go to TSA. We took back a bunch of our EMBs that they had and we're still having issues nearly a year later. San Juan is different....word of advice: don't commute to SJU. You'll enjoy it more. Obviously not everyone has that choice, but I'd recommend it as I was based there for almost a year and a half. And I think our hotels are good for the most part. We have a bad one here and there, but the majority of stuff we stay at are Hiltons/Hamptons/Wingates, etc, etc.

Just my $.02.

No Eagle pilot would complain about maintenance...really? My buds that are still there say nothing has changed much. In my tenure at Eagle I had:

A single engine landing (inflight shutdown)
Two instances of smoke. One in the cabin, one cockpit.
A complete loss of all pitch trim (main and stby)in the Taco Rocket.
Two (separate occasion) gear unsafe indications. Followed by manual extension.
Multiple de-ice / anti-ice equipment failures in icing conditions.
Multiple instances of bleed air leaks.
Turbine section main bearing failure which resulted in partial power loss and totaled the engine.
Plus more...

The real problem was the pressure that was put on maintenance by mgmnt to get the airplanes flying no matter what was wrong. This resulted in some REAL stretches of the MEL language to try to get it to cover the problem instead of taking the airplane off line and fixing it. It was a common situation to get an airplane with multiple MEL's some of which had been applied in complete contrast to the original write-up. I learned to be at the airplane in advance of required show time to allow extra time to go over the logbook and MEL list. The FAA would find these issues in their line checks of AEA and had attempted in some cases to violate all crews that flew the airplane after they found an MEL discrepancy.

Don't get me wrong, NO airline has perfect maintenance. It's just that I had more stuff go wrong at AEA than I have anywhere else in my career. I don't feel that it was coincidence. I am glad if you feel AEA has changed for the better. I sincerely hope it has. My friends accounts say otherwise.

Were can you go right now that you "know" that you will have a quick upgrade??? When I went to Eagle upgrade was 5 years. Got the upgrade at 2 years!! wow..oh then wait 9/11... spent another 3 years there before leaving Eagle. New company upgrade 1 year. waited 2.5 years for in base upgrade... glad i did.. But who knows what upgrade would be for someone thats gets hired today.. when and if we hire again.. All I'm saying is don't base your life on a upgrade bass it on a overall estimate on how easy your life will be.. Thats why i turned down Mesa in 97.. (thank god)... I will say reserve at Eagle sucked over the company I'm at now..

Just because someone wants to work for Eagle doesn't mean there going to, as it is with any airline job, However, Eagle seems to be a little more picky on their hiring process. When I interviewed there in 2004, there was probably around 25 of us to start the day, when it was all said and done there were 3 of us invited to stay the night and come back for the medical. I'm not trying to discourage people from interviewing there, I'm just trying to shed some light on how picky they are. Also, I had a around 2100 hundred hours when I interviewed there and the guys that had like 5k plus didn't even make it to lunch time. So, just because you have thousands of hours of flight time, it doesn't mean your going to get the job.

Last edited:
No Eagle pilot would complain about maintenance...really? My buds that are still there say nothing has changed much. In my tenure at Eagle I had:

A single engine landing (inflight shutdown)
Two instances of smoke. One in the cabin, one cockpit.
A complete loss of all pitch trim (main and stby)in the Taco Rocket.
Two (separate occasion) gear unsafe indications. Followed by manual extension.
Multiple de-ice / anti-ice equipment failures in icing conditions.
Multiple instances of bleed air leaks.
Turbine section main bearing failure which resulted in partial power loss and totaled the engine.
Plus more...

The real problem was the pressure that was put on maintenance by mgmnt to get the airplanes flying no matter what was wrong. This resulted in some REAL stretches of the MEL language to try to get it to cover the problem instead of taking the airplane off line and fixing it. It was a common situation to get an airplane with multiple MEL's some of which had been applied in complete contrast to the original write-up. I learned to be at the airplane in advance of required show time to allow extra time to go over the logbook and MEL list. The FAA would find these issues in their line checks of AEA and had attempted in some cases to violate all crews that flew the airplane after they found an MEL discrepancy.

Don't get me wrong, NO airline has perfect maintenance. It's just that I had more stuff go wrong at AEA than I have anywhere else in my career. I don't feel that it was coincidence. I am glad if you feel AEA has changed for the better. I sincerely hope it has. My friends accounts say otherwise.

Flying the Embryo is your first problem. I've only ever been on the ATR and the CRJ and haven't experienced what you have. But my experiences at Eagle are no less valid than yours so I guess we'll agree to disagree on the above issues.

Well , out of 6k hours in the jungle jet , I've had very little problems pop up....LUCKY??? Maybe.......When I do , mtx takes care of it....simple... I enjoy the heck out of the plane and had the pleasure of showing it off for a weekend at an airshow last August. When I do leave, I'll definitely miss it.

Flying the Embryo is your first problem. I've only ever been on the ATR and the CRJ and haven't experienced what you have. But my experiences at Eagle are no less valid than yours so I guess we'll agree to disagree on the above issues.

SOUNDS LIKE AN ATR PROBLEM TO ME.....if they are , I totally agree......

Latest resources

Back