• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American Eagle ..HIRING....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You make some valid points and that my friend is why this is America the Beautiful....you are entitled to your own opinion...I personally would never look at statistical history in a business model like the american transportation system to "predict the horrid future"...you may be right...I may be right....only time will tell....one thing is for certain...there may be concessions, consolidations, mergers, takeovers, rise and fall of crude oil and furloughs...but america has to fly...that will never change...pipejockey, good luck in the future...

I agree that anything can happen except for that one statement. Oil in general will NEVER EVER go down! There may be short term reductions due to what we have been experiencing the past year and a half, but we are running out of oil and no way will we be able to sustain fuel burns of 20 to 30 thousand pounds of fuel burn on an average domestic flight. And this is the one thing that even the best economy this country has ever experienced can overcome. We are an industry that relies on one of the most quickly depleting natural resources on earth. Although we have seen viable alternatives to just about every other oil powered thing we have, I have not heard of anything that can power airliners. I truly feel in 20 years if we are still relying solely on oil to power aircraft, we will actually have LESS capacity in 20 years compared to what we have now. With some of the plans I have seen for super high speed trains in the future, I think domestic air travel will begin to plummet within 20 years.

I wish you good luck as well. We sure as hell are going to need it!!

I left the airlines last year and I am thinking about applying with American Eagle, however my ATP written is now expired. Is a current written in the requirements for AE?

Hi!

re: Oil-based jet fuel; The US Air Force is planning on using non-oil based fuels for ALL domestic flying by 2016.

cliff
GRB

Eagle hiring professional FO's.........only 14 years to upgrade to the left seat. Family Dollar has a better career forecast. Yikes

Cliff- sorry our conversation got cut short at ORD. Was nice talking to you..What do they plan on using instead of oil-based jet fuel. Has there been much testing on this?

OurMoney1- there isnt anyone on the property that has 14 years as an FO that doesnt want to be..most senior FO not by choice is a 10-11 year guy. Things will move soon, if not...this still beats the he!! out of a desk.

Cliff- sorry our conversation got cut short at ORD. Was nice talking to you..What do they plan on using instead of oil-based jet fuel. Has there been much testing on this?

OurMoney1- there isnt anyone on the property that has 14 years as an FO that doesnt want to be..most senior FO not by choice is a 10-11 year guy. Things will move soon, if not...this still beats the he!! out of a desk.

Rentech:

http://www.rentechinc.com/fuels.php

Algae based bio-fuels

Hi!

re: Oil-based jet fuel; The US Air Force is planning on using non-oil based fuels for ALL domestic flying by 2016.

cliff
GRB

The renjet article says only 50%. But does anyone know the projected cost of this synthetic oil per barrel. If it is expensive to make, it still will have to be the equivalent in today's dollars of less than $100 a barrel. Anything more than $100 a barrel will not allow the industry to grow with demand in the future.

Edit: I just answered my own question. The following from the rentech website.

What does it cost to produce a barrel of synthetic fuels?

The cost to produce a barrel of synthetic fuels is competitive with projections of future prices of petroleum products.

So the issue of exploding prices of fossil fuel seem to still be a problem. Something needs to be developed that will not rise in price far greater than the rate of our inflation like oil has. If the cost to produce this oil is equivalent to projections of future prices of petroleum products, then I stand by my earlier opinion that this industry is doomed. It just can't sustain the cost of all this capacity at $100 plus per barrel oil. My prediction is that we will once again see 100 per barrel oil by the end of the year, and $150 sometime in 2011. This industry can't be expanded with those prices.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back