American at Love: Faking Angina

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lawman said:
I agree. But first, we need hear some more whining from Delta telling us how wonderful they are.

Do you ever have anything nice to say to delta or the delta pilots?? Sheeeeeeeesh!

TexaSWA said:
aa73,

I agree that since we have little to do with the sucess or failure of our companies

I feel that the employees have a lot to do with the success of Southwest. Everything you read about the company talks about putting the employees first and getting huge returns. I don't even work there yet and I've already figured this out.

An AMR friend told me that the employees have been telling management that they need to be more productive and do things that make sense. Management responds by spending gobs of money to hire a consulting firm that comes back with the answwer..."You need to be more productive and do things differently" The culture of the two airlines is polar opposite. I do not understand why AA is moving some ops to Love when they could just lower fares from DFW. They do this and then want to talk with APA about the future and what the union is going to do to help out.

Piggybacking on what Chase and AA73 have said. We at SWA are very fortunate to have a great leadership team in the front office. It is very easy to get caught up in the emotion and esprite de corps and forget who we are.

I really enjoy talking to pilots from other airlines on our jumpseat. As a very smart man once said "Be careful how you treat others on your rise to the top, because you will see those same people on your way back down." Cheers.

furloughfodder said:
That is a good one coming from a SWA guy. Here are just a few examples I can think of showing how SWA HATES to compete, and tries every trick in the book to avoid competition:

1. Flies out of Midway, not OHare
2. Scared of flying out of DEN (until recently) uses Springs instead
3. Tries to get approval to fly out of Boeing Field because too many airlines already fly out of Sea-Tac
4. Monopoly on Love Field, starts to cry when another airlines tries to move in

i am sure there are a ton more....

Does Southwest serve Springs, as in Colorado Springs? (COS)

Why should Southwest serve ORD if MDW serves them well?

fox51ramprat,

You're observations are in line with what I see when I talk to employees at SWA & listen to those who work at other carriers...here's a "for example" in terms of how SWA is dealing with a problem.

Turn times are a real concern for SWA...adding 5 minutes to every turn for the 3000+ flights that we have would require another 40 airplanes for purchasing....therefore turn times are key to our productivity (anyone's for that matter) so keeping those tight is important. The dilemma is that tight turn times means baggage problems can arrise. SWA's baggage success/failure as measured by DOT is not where they wish to have it right now...too many mistakes....60% of the lost bags never get on the aircraft because of mishandling at the sorting locations (T-point) or because the bag doesn't get identified properly at the counter & never makes it to the T point on time)...major mistakes that needed to be fixed.

SWA hired some consultants (even SWA does this) & along with SWA employees began to look very hard at the operations in PHX on how to make the turns more productive & minimize lost baggage (just one aspect of the experiment out there but it illustrates how something simple, people, were used to fixed the problem). I asked the person (senior person involved with the process, not a worker bee BTW)I was speaking what was the single most important thing that changed the "process" to make it more efficient? BTW, they cut down on the losses by a significant enough amount to implement the changes...coming to LAS very soon I'm told.

His response was typical of any good leadership technique "if" you have the proper culture/people in place to implement. "We simply drew attention to the problem, told folks we wanted to hold folks accountable & then we made it public for everyone to see each "teams" performance record for all to see as it relates to moving the bags efficiently." How did they do that? They simply instituted a simple process that showed each teams performance spanning a specific timeframe that showed with colors the % of bags that were lost that could be attributed to that "team" who was on duty at the time. Capturing the data was a challenge but at the end of the day & after the test, the employees "wanted" to do their best, it was in plain sight for all to see if they didn't. Peer pressure, pride of workmanship & most important, someone looking each employee in the eye & saying, "your responsible & everyone is watching your performance...don't let us down, we're counting on you to do your part, we need your help" appears to be the management solution.

Not a lot of bells & whistles but a reigniting of the flame of "pride of ownership" I believe that is found in each employee, it simply has to be tapped in to in the proper way. I hope we can do that at other stations & in other areas also....we will need to do that to keep our produtivity up, costs down & efficiency high. Just one illustration at how a problem could be dealt with...it will take time for our numbers to improve in the DOT monthly ratings I'm sure but I think from talking to this individual the groundwork has been laid & will hopefully be successful. Not trying to blow SWA's horn, this technique isn't unique or universally applied just at SWA...I think AA has attempted some of the same types of accountability measures at AA & it has been productive...my apologies for rambling & taking up too much cyberspace for those with short attention span (like mine!)....cheers.

Last edited:
I have a pretty bad rap on here. I'm sorry. I am not anti SWA. I hope each and every SWA employee continues to enjoy stable and rewarding employment. If any of you were flat broke, broke up, or broke down, I would help you. I just want to see things characterized in their proper respect. Is SWA really that great? Or is what has happened to legacy airlines actually that bad? How is history going to portray things that are happening now? Chases' comments are great, but we sugar coat this economic downturn like it is something normal. As though every event of the last 4.5 years is something we could have prepared for or studied in business school. Nearly every media outlet heralds the success of LCCs and simultaneously assails the legacies like we are some stinking vagrant in the gutter. There is a subtle gleam in the eye of every business news talking head when they speak about lost pensions and dwindling pay and benefits. There is an active lack of challenge to this accepted half truth about how great LCCs are for this country. It is all wrong. Chase: I know you think SWA is just reacting to the market; I think it is more like looting.

The market seems to want to rid itself of the legacy airline. Replace it with the LCC. I don't think that is a good thing from a big picture standpoint. Example: DAL vs. SWA. DAL just ranked in Forbes.com as one of this country's most charitable corporations. Now if there is one airline that you would think would be on this list, you would think it would be SWA. Hardly, I can't even find them on there. (maybe they made the list somewhere, someone find them if you can) Conversely, if you look for corporate charity to be ranked, what does jump out at you is that among large cities, Dallas is ranked as one of the poorest examples of corporate giving. (you will find that AA had to reneg on a bit of giving they had commited to, AA still outpaces SWA in that they offer a way to convert mileage rewards into charitable donations) I guess that what the market is saying is that DAL needs to stop leading airlines in the philanthropy department. Is this a good thing? Good for DAL for trying, sad for SWA I'm afraid.

In the words of Sir Charles: "I might be wrong, but I doubt it". If I am wrong in the least bit, I will beg for an apology.

Hardly

Flopgut said:
I have a pretty bad rap on here. I'm sorry. I am not anti SWA. I hope each and every SWA employee continues to enjoy stable and rewarding employment. If any of you were flat broke, broke up, or broke down, I would help you. I just want to see things characterized in their proper respect. Is SWA really that great? Or is what has happened to legacy airlines actually that bad? How is history going to portray things that are happening now? Chases' comments are great, but we sugar coat this economic downturn like it is something normal. As though every event of the last 4.5 years is something we could have prepared for or studied in business school. Nearly every media outlet heralds the success of LCCs and simultaneously assails the legacies like we are some stinking vagrant in the gutter. There is a subtle gleam in the eye of every business news talking head when they speak about lost pensions and dwindling pay and benefits. There is an active lack of challenge to this accepted half truth about how great LCCs are for this country. It is all wrong. Chase: I know you think SWA is just reacting to the market; I think it is more like looting.

The market seems to want to rid itself of the legacy airline. Replace it with the LCC. I don't think that is a good thing from a big picture standpoint. Example: DAL vs. SWA. DAL just ranked in Forbes.com as one of this country's most charitable corporations. Now if there is one airline that you would think would be on this list, you would think it would be SWA. Hardly, I can't even find them on there. (maybe they made the list somewhere, someone find them if you can) Conversely, if you look for corporate charity to be ranked, what does jump out at you is that among large cities, Dallas is ranked as one of the poorest examples of corporate giving. (you will find that AA had to reneg on a bit of giving they had commited to, AA still outpaces SWA in that they offer a way to convert mileage rewards into charitable donations) I guess that what the market is saying is that DAL needs to stop leading airlines in the philanthropy department. Is this a good thing? Good for DAL for trying, sad for SWA I'm afraid.

In the words of Sir Charles: "I might be wrong, but I doubt it". If I am wrong in the least bit, I will beg for an apology.

Flop, You actually had me thinking for the first 3/4's of your first paragraph that you possesed a modicum of decency, only to dash it with the assumption that we at SWA are looters. Well done. Now the response.

First, when you go shopping for a Chevy or Ford or whatever brand you choose, do you go to the dealer that charges the most? Didn't think so.

Second, how is it the "truth" that LCC's are bad for the country? I and many await your response.

Third, regarding Forbes, good for DAL . Now the rest of the story. You have stated how you like to game your system to fly min hours in a month to get max pay. Charitable? Just because we as a company don't rate on a list, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Ronald McDonald House, Toys for Tots, Cancer runs, HEB food drives, Adopt a Pilot. All of these well sponsered by SWA and its PEOPLE. SWA doesn't just give bucks, we give our hearts and most importantly our time. Do you?

Last edited:
I can tell you exactly what happened at Dallas love...how do I know? because I worked at the ramp for american at Dallas love, but after 9/11 they took us back to DFW, and myself and all those low seniority guys where laid off within a week....loved that job

Latest resources

Back