American at Love: Faking Angina

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee said:
They flew the F100s out of Love for the full Summer of 2001, even after Legend went away? Really?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Yes, because AA knew it would look awfully bad to leave LUV once they killed Legend. 9/11 gave them the perfect excuse to leave. Their load factors were pretty low according to a AA friend of mine who flew those F100s out of DAL.

DH2WN said:
Oh my God!! Does this mean AA is actually going to have to compete for their customers? The way they act they should change their name to "Marxist Airlines".

DH2WN,

There you go on a SWA-typical attack, once again. Why are you boys getting so arrogant over there (a title previously reserved for AA pilots!) AA has always had to compete for customers, just like SWA. Even on the DFW-STL route. Before I hired on here, I used to fly STL-LIT-DAL on SWA all the time because AA was too expensive.

Please, lay off the "my airline is better than yours" attacks. These decisions are management decisions and you and I are just pilots. In fact, you and I are both ex Blue Ridgers. so we're cool by default, right?

AA is sweating bullets right now, trying to figure out how to deal with the changes. And like it or not, they will eventually have to compete with an unrestricted SWA pretty soon. When you SWA types come out laughing at us for stuff that's out of our control, you come out sounding pretty lame. Not like most of the SWA pilots I've had the pleasure of knowing. So let's leave it at that, matey, yeah? We're all professionals here...

aa73 said:
DH2WN,

There you go on a SWA-typical attack, once again. Why are you boys getting so arrogant over there (a title previously reserved for AA pilots!) AA has always had to compete for customers, just like SWA. Even on the DFW-STL route. Before I hired on here, I used to fly STL-LIT-DAL on SWA all the time because AA was too expensive.

Please, lay off the "my airline is better than yours" attacks. These decisions are management decisions and you and I are just pilots. In fact, you and I are both ex Blue Ridgers. so we're cool by default, right?

AA is sweating bullets right now, trying to figure out how to deal with the changes. And like it or not, they will eventually have to compete with an unrestricted SWA pretty soon. When you SWA types come out laughing at us for stuff that's out of our control, you come out sounding pretty lame. Not like most of the SWA pilots I've had the pleasure of knowing. So let's leave it at that, matey, yeah? We're all professionals here...

thank you for your eloquence and level-headed manner.

i'm so sick of pilots bashing pilots. yes SWA is riding high now. might wanna temper that arrogance as your day will come...believe it or not.

i am also surprised at the culture change that seems to be occuring at SWA. i thought this town would always have AA playing the role of Biff. i guess McFly feels the need to bully like the other guy.

we are all pilots earning a check and clinging to benefits. this place really baffles me sometimes with the childish banter. at least i know who my friends are.

kudos to all who have a stable airline career. i have news for you: you're not special. YOU ARE LUCKY.

DH2WN said:
Oh my God!! Does this mean AA is actually going to have to compete for their customers? The way they act they should change their name to "Marxist Airlines".

That is a good one coming from a SWA guy. Here are just a few examples I can think of showing how SWA HATES to compete, and tries every trick in the book to avoid competition:

1. Flies out of Midway, not OHare
2. Scared of flying out of DEN (until recently) uses Springs instead
3. Tries to get approval to fly out of Boeing Field because too many airlines already fly out of Sea-Tac
4. Monopoly on Love Field, starts to cry when another airlines tries to move in

i am sure there are a ton more....

furloughfodder said:
That is a good one coming from a SWA guy. Here are just a few examples I can think of showing how SWA HATES to compete, and tries every trick in the book to avoid competition:

1. Flies out of Midway, not OHare
2. Scared of flying out of DEN (until recently) uses Springs instead
3. Tries to get approval to fly out of Boeing Field because too many airlines already fly out of Sea-Tac
4. Monopoly on Love Field, starts to cry when another airlines tries to move in

i am sure there are a ton more....

1. AA also flies out of midway, as does ATA.
2. Pulled out of DEN years ago because of delays. Never flew to springs.
3. Was due to SEA increasing fees. Not because of other airlines.
4. We have not once tried to stop anyone from moving to DAL, much less shed a tear over it. Another airline did try to stop Legend from operating from DAL, quite sucessfully.

Dont know why I try to clarify this, its pretty much common knowledge.

Further, I dont think DH2SWAs comment was aimed at the AA pilot group. That would be rediculous.

They deserve no more blame for AAs problems than we do credit for the decision to hedge fuel.

Last edited:
TexaSWA said:
Further, I dont think DH2SWAs comment was aimed at the AA pilot group. That would be rediculous.

They deserve no more blame for AAs problems than we do credit for the decision to hedge fuel.

TexasSWA,

I know his comment wasn't directed at our pilot group. I just don't think it's very proper for the pilots of one airline to ridicule another airline's management over decisions that we the pilots don't make. Because then it starts to border on arrogance, i.e. "I fly for an airline that makes great business decisions, and you don't." You see, if AA fails miserably at Love, we the employees end up paying for it, one way or another - even though we didn't make that choice to begin with.

My take on all this is to simply wish the SWA and AA pilots luck, because to sit here and gloat about my airline making good decisions and yours making crappy ones is totally out of place.

Like I said, the SWA pilot group always earned my respect on how laid back they were. Now all of a sudden with all this WA stuff going on, it seems like there is more and more arrogance - specifically aimed at AA - 1 and it's just not what I'd expected to see from the SWA guys. What happened?

DH2WN said:

I think you have your airlines backward. AA competes with everyone else at DFW. Why doesn't Southwest?

TexaSWA said:
3. Was due to SEA increasing fees. Not because of other airlines.

Umm... Didn't want to pay their share of the tab for the new runway, the reason for the fees. Do try to be straight up on this. And as far as other airports you don't want to compete at:

DFW
IAD
DCA
LGA
JFK
SFO
ORD
MSP
MIA
CVG
IAH
ATL

Quite the list no?

Skyboss said:
I think you have your airlines backward. AA competes with everyone else at DFW. Why doesn't Southwest?

Yea, and Hugh Hefner competes with all the other guys at the Playboy Mansion.:rolleyes:

canyonblue said:
Yea, and Hugh Hefner competes with all the other guys at the Playboy Mansion.:rolleyes:

I thought you worked the strong and mighty Southwest? What, you still think you're the little kid on the block? Nice try.

Latest resources

Back