• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

American at Love: Faking Angina

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Scoreboard: The main thing I think we could note here is: Wow! Can you believe an airline is even on the list? And then get re-inspired on what we can each do this year. I think the statistic on Dallas' lack of corporate benevolence and the fact that the airline that gave the most to charity was not the one that made the most money is surprising. I think SWA might have a lot to gain for the brand if they led the way for the community and the industry on this. Just a thought. Also, it is a foregone conclusion that DAL won't be on that list for long. That is going to be hard on some folks.

With regard to pensions. The companies that are defaulting paid a lot of money to the PBGC to act as the backstop in this exact event. You and I pay disability. If I need it, I expect them to pay up and not fuss about it. The PBGC/Govt/taxpayers can get their checkbook out and pay up! In the wake of an enormously tragic event they could not have made the airline business a lower priority. A cursory amount of federal loan guarantees promised were actually given. The federal fuel tax should have been repealed immediately when oil hit $50 dollars per barrel. And, as of about two hours ago, it looks like pension legislation might get vetoed. What are these companies supposed to do? Especially when you examine this from a global perspective. Open skies and foreign ownership are now in the pipeline so it looks like this country wants to be out of the airline business entirely. When we have to compete for a job with an EU pilot group we're likely to lose out just on the fact that they have universal health care. Even if we're cheaper they will probably opt to grow the other group to aviod the hassle. So if they are going to throw me in the dumpster, they can pick up the check. They are only paying a fraction of what they owe anyway.

Now, this boils down to individuals. I very much subscribe to the JCPenney byline you have on your screen. The only thing we can do at the legacy airlines is try and do outstanding work. And we are. Legacy pilots work in "coal mine" conditions compared to you SWA folks. These hours we work, places we fly, equipment we operate compound the effort this job requires 10 times what you folks do. You "work hard and play hard", we work hard--then we work some more! When we get a break and want to get caught up on some news (which is never good) we get the "Yeah baby, SWA is the greatest!" stuck in our face. When I inventory the terms of my career's demise I respectfully request that you acknowledge that factors other than a $79 dollar round trip to Tampa were included in the hardware trained on me. Because if that was all I had to deal with, this would be easy.

Flop -
Your views on charity are totally foreign to me/my thinking. I personally know SWA has performed many, many hours of community service, all under the radar - which is the best way to perform such labors. (not make some hollow "list")

And quickly, your pension comments are insane! If "XYZ" Airline(s) screwed up and can not properly fund their pension(s)... then it's THEIR problem; not mine! (the taxpayer's) Let's have some accountability here.

Feel your pain

Flopgut said:
Scoreboard: The main thing I think we could note here is: Wow! Can you believe an airline is even on the list? And then get re-inspired on what we can each do this year. I think the statistic on Dallas' lack of corporate benevolence and the fact that the airline that gave the most to charity was not the one that made the most money is surprising. I think SWA might have a lot to gain for the brand if they led the way for the community and the industry on this. Just a thought. Also, it is a foregone conclusion that DAL won't be on that list for long. That is going to be hard on some folks.

With regard to pensions. The companies that are defaulting paid a lot of money to the PBGC to act as the backstop in this exact event. You and I pay disability. If I need it, I expect them to pay up and not fuss about it. The PBGC/Govt/taxpayers can get their checkbook out and pay up! In the wake of an enormously tragic event they could not have made the airline business a lower priority. A cursory amount of federal loan guarantees promised were actually given. The federal fuel tax should have been repealed immediately when oil hit $50 dollars per barrel. And, as of about two hours ago, it looks like pension legislation might get vetoed. What are these companies supposed to do? Especially when you examine this from a global perspective. Open skies and foreign ownership are now in the pipeline so it looks like this country wants to be out of the airline business entirely. When we have to compete for a job with an EU pilot group we're likely to lose out just on the fact that they have universal health care. Even if we're cheaper they will probably opt to grow the other group to aviod the hassle. So if they are going to throw me in the dumpster, they can pick up the check. They are only paying a fraction of what they owe anyway.

Now, this boils down to individuals. I very much subscribe to the JCPenney byline you have on your screen. The only thing we can do at the legacy airlines is try and do outstanding work. And we are. Legacy pilots work in "coal mine" conditions compared to you SWA folks. These hours we work, places we fly, equipment we operate compound the effort this job requires 10 times what you folks do. You "work hard and play hard", we work hard--then we work some more! When we get a break and want to get caught up on some news (which is never good) we get the "Yeah baby, SWA is the greatest!" stuck in our face. When I inventory the terms of my career's demise I respectfully request that you acknowledge that factors other than a $79 dollar round trip to Tampa were included in the hardware trained on me. Because if that was all I had to deal with, this would be easy.

Flopgut, I feel your pain and sympathize.

I think we can say we agree to disagree wrt PBGC. I would argue that if a company is dropping it's pension, it needs to reform itself so as to at least pay for the deficit it will cause, then cancel future pension plans, or at least, and now the hard part, liquidate to pay for its obligations. Because in the end, "I'm" paying for the legacy pensions, ironic. Yes, all the drivel about PBGC is there for blah blah, but really, did the companies whom are defaulting, do their charitable part and fund as "appropriate", not just the legal minimum? Points to ponder over a beer.

Not sure about the fuel tax, how would the airports be funded?

Foriegn ownership is a problem, maybe another topic on how to compete against that. I also agree this industry ain't what it used to be. I take your point of view and aknowledge other factors have been at play, some may blow the SWA banner a little loudly, but usually in defence of and not to start a fight.

Best of Holidays to you and yours, really.

Flopgut said:
A morbidly confused, fascist perspective if I ever saw one.

In this country, for IRS purposes, corporations are treated just like individuals. Individuals AND corporations can/should give to charity. It helps people and it saves you money. So, quite the opposite is true. If your company is NOT giving meaningfully to charity you can be sure that even as an employee or a shareholder, you are both wasting money and being greedy at the same time, which is stupid.

This only proves that tax laws are screwed up.

scoreboard said:
Flopgut, I feel your pain and sympathize.

I think we can say we agree to disagree wrt PBGC. I would argue that if a company is dropping it's pension, it needs to reform itself so as to at least pay for the deficit it will cause, then cancel future pension plans, or at least, and now the hard part, liquidate to pay for its obligations. Because in the end, "I'm" paying for the legacy pensions, ironic. Yes, all the drivel about PBGC is there for blah blah, but really, did the companies whom are defaulting, do their charitable part and fund as "appropriate", not just the legal minimum? Points to ponder over a beer.

Not sure about the fuel tax, how would the airports be funded?

Foriegn ownership is a problem, maybe another topic on how to compete against that. I also agree this industry ain't what it used to be. I take your point of view and aknowledge other factors have been at play, some may blow the SWA banner a little loudly, but usually in defence of and not to start a fight.

Best of Holidays to you and yours, really.

I have been gone for a while and could not reply. Thanks for being real tolerant of my rant and being quite decent. I come off like an a$$hole on here and I'm sorry. I'm no different in person.

When I say I hope each SWA pilot has a great career I mean it. I would not wish this uncertainty and doubt on anyone. I would tell you how to avoid it if I knew how for sure. Just keep in mind that, for the most part, every legacy pilot also thought the answer was superior effort and it did not necessarily work. Or at least every legacy pilot thought that effort and productivity could be a backstop to a perished career and that may not be enough.

I'm going to aspire to a "less a$$hole" standard on here in the New Year. And if I can't accomplish that I'm going to leave. I need to stop griping about SWA.

I'm going to watch this thread because I have a suspicion that Chase might be compiling data detailing SWA's charitable activities that would smite my initial post and require my apology. I'll go ahead and give it now: Please forgive my frustration filled rant in this thread. If the whole truth were magically revealed on the subject of charity and citizenship in this airline community I'm sure I would be a distant second to an overwhelming majority of SWA folks. I apologize.

Have a Merry Christamas and a great New Year.

Flopgut,

Not compiling stats..to busy with other things. Trying to compare companies benevolence level is probably doable for those with more free time....I'm sure DAL & others have contributed what they feel is reasonable in light of their current situation. The 700+ pilots who donate time to the Adopt-a-pilot to teach 5th graders to the thousands of free tickets SWA gives out each year for various causes...I'm sure DAL & others have equally benevolent programs.....I won't even argue that one airlines "gifts" are better than another....they aren't.

What is nice though is to work for a company that has the means to do it & does it across the board, not just to outside communities but to our own, i.e. Hurricane Katrina victims who have receiving hundreds of thousands of dollars from fellow employees. I hope things work out well for you & your airline and that continued gift giving can occur to those who need it more than you or I....cheers....and your personality is fine by me...no need to change anything in my view. :)

Latest resources

Back