• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA to uphold and defend AAA/HP seniority list

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The USAir guys feel that they got screwed by the AmWest guys. The AmWest guys say that they kept the USAir guys from the unemployment line, "and should be lucky to have a job". I think that the USAir guys should take it a step further, and run them all out a job, and then go fly for Skybus.

I do think that seniority should have some merit. I heard that with the new seniority list, there is a AmWest pilot who was 9 years old when the USAir pilot got hired in 1989, and now the 9 yr old is senior to the 1989 new hire.

The USAir guy will never upgrade to captain, so he might as well run this airline out, and go to Skybus or Virgin America.

On the other thread someone said there was a Piedmont 97 hire below some America West pilots?

If that is true then it is possible that an America West pilot was 9 when the Piedmont pilot got hired.

We on the west have people who will never make captain due to their age no matter how the seniority is worked out. An acquaintance from a previous carrier retired a year and a half ago from the right seat here on the west.

Likewise some of the 517 under Nicolau were born as late as 58 and 59.

Some things are gonna be outa whack no matter how one slices it. I'm getting a little tired of hearing the east's rhetoric myself, not to mention some of their pieces in the media basically calling all of us out west inexperienced rookies.

Ski;
Seniority did come into play. Relative seniority. I lost a couple of percentage points and my upgrade has been delayed to ??. Am I crying? NO.

Let's move on and get the money out of Doug's pocket. Binding Arbitration that was agreed upon by BOTH Merger Committee's is exactly that. Or should we try best 2 out of 3, 3 out of 5.......

ALPA merger policy specifically states that when an award is delivered by the arbitrator (Section 45; H; 5; b and I; 1):

• Award of the Arbitration Board shall be final and binding on all parties.
  • The arbitration and shall be defended by ALPA.
  • The merged seniority list will be presented to management and ALPA will use all reasonable means at its disposal to compel the company to accept and implement the merged seniority list.
This seems to be rather CUT and DRIED to me. Failure to do anything other that what is stated in the ALPA bylaws is an invite for serious legal problems. What about all of the other mergers?

I think there will be a SMALL percentage of West pilots willing to go to the "City of Brotherly Love" if for no other reason than the rants and attitudes. A small number of East pilots will transfer to PHX or LAS for quality of life. You guys will largely get your East upgrades....Why don't you give it a shot??

Agreed.

Done deal. Game over. Move on.

Pretty much stayed out of this ordeal lately, but I wonder if any AWA pilots might explain to me what would be the problem with a fence running along, say, the Mississippi.

According to every post I've ever read, none of you guys wanted this merger, so what would it matter if you never flew here in the east?

I've heard all about the horrible stagnation you've had there in the west, but I don't know of any other legacy pilot who would have much sympathy. Stagnation nearly everywhere else is and has been much worse, so you guys would move up reasonably well, right?

Going by Doug's words (yes, he was sober at the time), AWA is certainly better off with the addition of east revenues and reach, so, what would be wrong with all of us just staying put? It doesn't seem like anything would have been taken away from you boys, and all those ex-PSA guys living in Temecula won't jump into the PHX or LAS base.

I think it will be better for the airline in many ways, too....but that's a whole new thread.

So, flame suit is being zipped up....right....now......there it is! All right....go ahead.

The USAir guys feel that they got screwed by the AmWest guys.
That's not the case. They feel they got screwed by Nicolau and ALPA National. We played by the same rules they did. The problem at hand is them taking out their anger on the AWA pilots. They think WE should make-up for their perceived screwing. Maybe if we actually felt they've been screwed we'd be more amenable to assisting them. Instead, they're holding a gun to our heads and telling us to give them taller fences or else. This is what they call "unity"?

Pretty much stayed out of this ordeal lately, but I wonder if any AWA pilots might explain to me what would be the problem with a fence running along, say, the Mississippi.
Because binding arbitration means binding arbitration. We've already negotiated. We played by the rules. To go back to negotiating with the AAA sides nullifies ALPA Merger Policy. You ask why we don't give your side some concessions? Why on earth should we? And you can't say "for unity" because unity doesn't come when you threaten (coerce, extort) the other side to accede to your demands. If we gave you higher fences what would we get in return?

Latest resources

Back