• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Publishers said:
...I was in Miami businessman...
...which is pretty much everything you need to know. :rolleyes:

Without Lorenzo, Eastern would have survived in some form or other. Instead, it's gone altogether. Saying that Lorenzo had little to do with it is like saying Hitler was unimportant in world history.

What are you thinking...

Publishers said:
The Eastern situation had little to do with pilots or Lorenzo. The whole thing was suicide of an airline.
If you were a publisher at all you would be able to figure out the many books about Frank Lorenzo and his destruction of EAL. He hated Unions, he would have never been happy having a union workforce running his company. As a son of a EAL mechanic my dad always stuck with the union because its what put meals on the table and clothes on our backs and made for safer working conditions. If you make comments have some quality information to back them up.

Clay Lacy a scab

Was looking the list over an thought it was interesting that Mr. Pro Pilot and self made millionair was a scab as well. Wonder if Mr. Clay Lacy made millions by walking all over other pilots?

Coppied from the list:
Lacy, H Clay UAL 85 46759, Mr Aviation "Pro Pilot of Year", Lied about age to FAA and UAL, Retired, ALPA

Eastern did survive in some form or another, at least for a time. Lorenzo and Carl Ichan were the bottom feeders of the era. They tried to take advantage of distressed properties.

My point is that at the time he showed up, this was a distressed property.

One of you was in elementary school, one reporting about his dad. I was there and in position to see what was happening first hand and from an educated view and knowing individuals on both sides.

No doubt you know more than I.

I heard C.L. lied about his age so he could hold the #1 seniority position, effectivly stabbing other pilots in the back!

Not suprising he scabbed as well.

I don't know about him lying about his age, but I was under the impression he scabbed to be #1 on the list.

Publishers said:
I am not defending Lorenzo or the part he played, but he took over a corpse that had not died. Borman and Bryan are just as guilty if not more so. Check out Easterrn maintenance costs some day versus other carriers.

Oh no, now your attacking my family by bringing FRANK into the mix. Leave him out of it!

Publishers said:
One of you was in elementary school, one reporting about his dad.
This is true.

Now I'm thirty-two. I have lived through a little corner of Eastern's destruction since '89. I can read, and I can listen to stories and process information. I've been in close contact with this subject matter for fifteen years.

I'm not surprised that you're trying to deflect blame from Mr. Lorenzo. Many businessmen in the 80's and 90's looked up to him as a hero, and you were probably among them. His employees saw him for what he was: a corporate buthcer, a greedy bastard, interested in nothing more than lining his pockets at the expense of thousands of hardworking pilots, flight attendants, mechanics, dispatchers, PSA's, etc, etc.

Eastern was in the emergency room. It needed a doctor. It got a mortician, thanks to Frank Lorenzo, Charlie Bryan, and the Bush administration. Take away any one of those factors, and Eastern would still exist in some form today.

But you're right: I wasn't an Eastern employee and didn't experience the debacle first-hand. Show me the EAL wings you wore on your gold-striped jacket, and I'll listen to what you have to say. Tell me about the Eastern board meetings you sat in on, and I'll hang on your every word. In the mean time, shut up.

Now that I've calmed down a little...consider this:

Eastern's pilots and flight attendants were honoring an IAM picket line. Their hope was to "poison" Eastern just enough to force Lorenzo to leave without killing the company. Why did they want Lorenzo gone? Because they could see very clearly that Lorenzo was picking Eastern apart to the benefit of Texas Air.

So to say...
Publishers said:
...the Eastern situation had little to do with pilots or Lorenzo...
...is to completely divorce one's self from reality. Several things would have to have happened to prevent Eastern's demise, but Lorenzo* was the catalyst, not an innocent bystander.

*One could argue that Bryan was equally culpable, but had Borman stayed and Lorenzo never shown up, a federal moderator would probably have been appointed and the end result might have been very different.

Latest resources

Back