• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alpa President John Prater's Video Response To Age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just make sure that all people whose jobs will change due to this NPRM.

Come to think of it, 58 and older shouldn't vote since they will be over 60 when the change is enacted, therefore will not be able to return to the front seat according to the FAA.

ferlo wrote:
If he thinks he did a good job appearing to be neutral on this issue he'd be dead wrong. He couldn't crawl any further up Blakey's as*. I don't care how many "blue ribbons" you put on a f-in pig, it's still a pig. Of the 4 ALPA departments that are heading up this thing, I'd like to see "furlough administration" on that list as well. Fat F-in chance. Welcome to 5 more years in the right seat, or on reserve while the F-in blue hairs keep stuffing themselves...BTW, his United co-pilot story is total B.S.. That guy made over 240k for YEARS and now doesn't have a pot to piss in? To F-ing bad.

To f-ing bad, you think the world must revolve around you and your problems.
Get over it.

ferlo wrote:
If he thinks he did a good job appearing to be neutral on this issue he'd be dead wrong. He couldn't crawl any further up Blakey's as*. I don't care how many "blue ribbons" you put on a f-in pig, it's still a pig. Of the 4 ALPA departments that are heading up this thing, I'd like to see "furlough administration" on that list as well. Fat F-in chance. Welcome to 5 more years in the right seat, or on reserve while the F-in blue hairs keep stuffing themselves...BTW, his United co-pilot story is total B.S.. That guy made over 240k for YEARS and now doesn't have a pot to piss in? To F-ing bad.

Get over it.

How about you shut up and leave.

ferlo wrote:

Get over it.

What's that pot/kettle black thing?

I support Age 60 wholeheartedly, and was saddened to see the NPRM. But this video seemed quite reasonable. Prater can't just call up Blakey and get the NPRM tossed out. If there is a change, ALPA should have given this some thought (presumably the mission of the blue ribbon panel) so as to be better able to manage the transition and clean up the ensuing mess. Screaming "HELL NO!" nor sticking the union's collective head in the sand is going to generate a positive outcome. Play the cards you're dealt.

But Cardinal, you're using common sense! You can't do that around here. Everyone wants to attack the ALPA President just for the hell of it. Just a couple of months ago after the election, everyone on here was cheering for Captain Prater, claiming he was saving us from the one they termed as "Woerthless." Now, after they have a problem with a single issue, they want to crucify him. Ridiculous.

Sounds like the membership will have to do something new here..... its called getting involved!!

Imagine if you'd been proactive on the issue. It would take less work than trying to convince Prater to change direction.

Get over it.

Everyone will be basing their decision on how the age 60 thing will affect them. The old guys want the cash at the expense of the junior guys career progression (increased time in the right seat, increased furlough times, etc.), while the junior guys want the old guys out of their seat, even if it means them having to live tight during their retirement. Either way this goes down, someone will get screwed. Don't act like you, or anyone else has the best interest of everyone at heart. According to your profile you're retired, so why get all worked up anyway?

Everyone will be basing their decision on how the age 60 thing will affect them. The old guys want the cash at the expense of the junior guys career progression (increased time in the right seat, increased furlough times, etc.), while the junior guys want the old guys out of their seat, even if it means them having to live tight during their retirement. Either way this goes down, someone will get screwed. Don't act like you, or anyone else has the best interest of everyone at heart. According to your profile you're retired, so why get all worked up anyway?

The hyperbole is all about defending the profession.... until an issue comes up... then everything gets polarized and "whats best for the profession gets thrown by the wayside"

Here is a major problem..... We get too focused on the issues, draw lines in the sand, buld walls and fight each other.... After the issues is put to rest everyone is against everyone and we treat each other as suspect....

Dear Captain Prater -

As a currently furloughed major airline pilot I can't possibly express how important it is that the Age 60 rule be protected and left unchanged.

Apparently, the vast majority of ALPA pilots feel this way, and I fully expect you and all of ALPA's leadership to vigorously fight any change in this important standard of the airline piloting career. Every pilot entered this profession knowing what the retirement age was. Lost pensions are one thing, but at the other end of the seniority list there have been furloughs and deep concessions. In many cases, pilots have been forced back to the Regional Airlines and are working for grossly sub-standard wages. To change the Age 60 rule at this critical time would be adding several years to the financial suffering of all pilots who aren't currently at their respective major airline.

Since 2001 we have seen pilots flying more hours (95-and-up) while other pilots are on the street. Scope has been relieved to the point of non-existence. All of this was done so that the senior pilot wouldn't lose everything. Now, those same pilots want to work another five years? At who's expense? You guessed it: the JUNIOR PILOT.

I think ALPA should be focusing its efforts on restoring pensions and fighting a change to the Age 60 rule. That's the most balanced approach to helping EVERY ALPA PILOT; it's also the approach that would foster the most UNITY in this important organization.

Fraternally,

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back