• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alpa President John Prater's Video Response To Age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If he thinks he did a good job appearing to be neutral on this issue he'd be dead wrong. He couldn't crawl any further up Blakey's as*. I don't care how many "blue ribbons" you put on a f-in pig, it's still a pig. Of the 4 ALPA departments that are heading up this thing, I'd like to see "furlough administration" on that list as well. Fat F-in chance. Welcome to 5 more years in the right seat, or on reserve while the F-in blue hairs keep stuffing themselves...BTW, his United co-pilot story is total B.S.. That guy made over 240k for YEARS and now doesn't have a pot to piss in? To F-ing bad.

I can't believe Prater claims ALPA is divided over this issue. NO WE ARE NOT, in the last survey almost 7 out 10 ALPA pilots said no we don't want to change the rule.

I am emailing Prater to ask him to honor our decissions as a union, or RESIGN.

What a shame, his first decission is against almost 70% of ALPA member's will.

Maybe we need to look into recalling him. NO to the age 60 rule. just like this very senior captain told me one day when I was bitching about 1st year pay. You knew how much it paid before you took this job, right?

Funny though, this clown is in favor of changing the age 60 rule. And yes, he was, is, and always will be a scab.

It is interesting how the FAA doesn't currently allow anyone over the age of 60 to be a pilot. And now they want to allow anyone up to age 65 to be the PIC.

I think a happy medium would be to allow anyone over the age of 60 to act as a first officer with no retirement age (or age 65, 67, etc ). The PIC should remain under 60 for now.

It is disgusting that they might require the First Officer to be under the age of 60 if the captain is over 60.

It is disgusting that they might require the First Officer to be under the age of 60 if the captain is over 60.

There is a very old English term for it...

BABYSITTING.

If being over 60 is so safe then why the caveat? Lets face it the guys in this age group aren't exactly from a generation known for taking care of themselves.

I don't blame the younger crowd one bit for saying "outta my seat ol man, you had yours".

I can't believe Prater claims ALPA is divided over this issue. NO WE ARE NOT, in the last survey almost 7 out 10 ALPA pilots said no we don't want to change the rule.

I am emailing Prater to ask him to honor our decissions as a union, or RESIGN.

What a shame, his first decission is against almost 70% of ALPA member's will.

Maybe we need to look into recalling him. NO to the age 60 rule. just like this very senior captain told me one day when I was bitching about 1st year pay. You knew how much it paid before you took this job, right?

Funny though, this clown is in favor of changing the age 60 rule. And yes, he was, is, and always will be a scab.

JetJock,

Exactly. I understand Prater is for the rule change, but why are ALPA members allowing him to go against the wishes of the majority?

If age 65 happens, this will be nothing more than a massive seniority merge. Remember – Career Expectations. These guys had no career expectations to fly to age 65 while all F/O’s had career expectations to continue to advance based on the Age 60 retirement.

I advise all you junior guys to run your own numbers. It sounds like Prader’s financial numbers will be bogus in order to get it past the membership. I wouldn’t trust this guy on this issue. He’s not neutral.

AA767AV8TOR

Copy of the email I sent to Capt Prater yesterday:

Captain Prater:

I am a pilot at FedEx and member of ALPA in good standing. In light of today's announcement and your statements in the past, I feel compelled to write to you to express my concern over this possible change.

I am sure that you are aware of the many sides of this issue. I realize that you are close to Age 60 and thus this issue is probably in the forefront of your personal situation.

As an elected official of ALPA, however, it is your duty (of course you know this) to represent the will of the union you were elected to represent. That union has spoken loud and clearly that the majority of the members are opposed to a change to the Age 60 rule. Now it might not make any difference what our union members think and this rule change will be forced upon us either way.

THAT does not change your responsibility to LEAD the union and its members in our OPPOSITION to this rule change. It should not be a complacent, lackadaisical leadership Captain, you should lead the charge up the hill and not rest until this change is defeated.

I implore you to LEAD the charge in adamant OPPOSITION to this proposed change. To do anything less than your best to preserve the careers of the majority of our union's members is a failure to fulfill the obligations of the office to which you were elected.

Again, Captain, REGARDLESS of your personal views on this matter, the UNION is adamantly opposed to this rule change. I fully expect that you will do everything in your ability to represent the will of the majority of your constituents and ensure that this change is thwarted.

Thank you for your service Captain, I look forward to hearing a more determined stance on your part against the Age 60 change.

Fraternally,

XXX
FedEx
ALPA # xxxxxxx

I do not have a warm and fuzzy at all about Captain Praters ability to represent the will of the majority of the members on this issue. It is obvious he is for a change. Not a good sign in my opinion.

FJ

Latest resources

Back