• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alpa President John Prater's Video Response To Age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe if we have a totally honest poll it will be otherwise, Andy you are welcome to retire any time you want-but I look forward to being able to fly beyond age 60--even though I am far from there now and I don't know who much further I may want to. I think that if nobody was on furlough at all nationwide and everybody upgraded in 3 years I'm sure everybody would be for changing the rule.

Airfogey

What I took from his message was that age 65 is coming with or without ALPA's support. The best ALPA can do is participate in the program to try to build in as many safeguards as possible.

What I took from his message was that age 65 is coming with or without ALPA's support. The best ALPA can do is participate in the program to try to build in as many safeguards as possible.

Holy Pragmatism Batman! The realities of life!!

It doesn't matter whether anyone thinks it's a done deal. APA came out fighting and ALPA's Prater didn't. I'm all for the recall and will forward to my LEC. For you naive guys who support change and think that you're not going to lose the B fund and early retirement (55) option in future contracts, wake up and prepare to get hosed. Companies are going to say......work 'til 65, then the B fund, which was designed because of age 60 retirement, is gone. Early retirement will now be 60 too.

My experience with Prater tells me he's going to want to make sure this gets balanced out. Like age 60+ go to FO with a longish phase in, or FOs pay protected to fly with oldsters, or something similiar. If he doesn't do something like that he'll get recalled and he knows it! It will be his fellow CAL pilots that lead the charge, we recall everybody.

Hey Flybynite: Seems the guys who act the hardest toward their fellow pilots on this are usually total mgt suck ups. I bet if your CP made an abrupt stop your head would be half way up his a$$. You know, the whole "opposite of character" coping mechanism you Stockholm syndrom sufferers rely on. Can't see yourself getting tough with your employer in your remaining years so you'd rather rip off your fellow pilots...plus your boss will appreciate your efforts. Sad.

I think that, at this point, we need to organize a recall effort against Prater. He is not following the direction of the membership and is clearly in favor of this change.
The question is, are there enough pilots who are angry enough to organize and floor a resolution at their council meeting?

Whereas, the pilots of ________ support the current age 60 rule for safety, and,

Whereas, the majority of ALPA membership has supported the current age 60 rule, and,

Whereas, ALPA President Prater has publicly endorsed a change to the age 60 rule, and,

Let it be resolved that, the pilots of Council __ have passed a Vote of No Confidence in ALPA President Prater, and,

Further, let it be resolved, that the pilots of Council __ direct their council leaders to influence the ___ MEC to have ALPA President Prater removed from his current position and replaced with a President who will follow the direction of the majority of ALPA and support the current age 60 rule.

Alter as you see fit. At this point, it's the only way to get the message to ALPA national.

Wow. This is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard about anything.

Why is that a bad idea? You pay roughly two percent of your salary to a union that is supposed to represent the body and its wishes. Further, we live in America where voicing your oppionion is completely acceptable. Do you have some concern that by doing so you would somehow be black-balled by a union that supposedly has 70% of your brethern behind you? I don't see any reason why you wouldn't do something to voice your concern over his lack of support.

Last edited:
I think that if nobody was on furlough at all nationwide and everybody upgraded in 3 years I'm sure everybody would be for changing the rule.

Airfogey

You have been one of the biggest idiots with your posts since this started heavily getting talked about. But this is one of your worst. I think that if we all lived in a world with cigarette trees and chocolate streams on the big rock candy mountain, nobody would care about anything. What other great insight do you have in your unrealistic world?

Last edited:
Skater, right on, right on.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back