• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Monument at KCVG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Apples and oranges my friend. Walmart employees have what sort of skill that can't be replaced tomorrow by someone who has NO training?

Sorry, it was my intent to compare the management philosophies of corporations against unions. Of course an airline pilot is a highly skilled expert who deserves to be well compensated for their duties and responsibilities.

I am not a huge ALPA cheerleader but I recognize there needs to be some sort of legal buffer between the company and the FAA. ALPA provides that.
Not a big ALPA fan either, but if they are the best game in town, then that's what I'd want.

Why should ALPA invest any money in that? If SkyWest pilots truly desire some sort contractual protection, they don't ALPA sticking their noses in there to get the job done. Yes I am aware of all the other costs involved. Most of the grassroots stuff can be done without National putting their fingers into the mix.

I doubt you'll see ALPA spending a dime on it unless we have reason to believe that the results will be a lot different this time.

The original post has a valid point, but you all seem to be missing it. The issue isn't that Concourse C is closed, the issue is that the Comair pilots are being decimated. Concourse C is just the symbol, or "monument."

Here is the last pilot group to go on strike for the profession, and ALPA has done absolutely nothing for them. Sure, Concourse C would have closed regardless, but the highest paid regional pilots would not have been dragged through the 1113 process, and now endless furloughs had ALPA actually acted like a union.

How can we expect other pilots to raise the bar when the only pilots who have were thrown under the bus? We have nobody to blame for the whipsaw but ourselves.

Concourse C is a monument to the Comair pilots. They're both being shut down, but for different reasons.

BVT is spot on. The comair guys and girls are the only ones who stood up to mgt, so many others went the other way and signed lowball contracts, using the 911 excuse. well guess what, 911 is done, what's the new excuse? It changes every week, pick the one thats most popular now.
mgt use the excuses to make people fall in line and sign bogus contracts. The sooner these flt school wonders realise that the better. Get real people, we are professionals, if mgt want to sell tickets for nothing thats their problem, our only goal is to be professionals and be rewarded as such.

Hey, tell me what thoughts go through your head when you taxi past that monument to ALPA success at KCVG depicted on the 10-9 as "Terminal C?" Remember how busy that used to be? Remember all those RJ's parked there and the constant movement of planes, passengers, bags, equipment, busses to and from the main terminal? Today, Terminal C is closed. No planes, no passengers, no bags, no equipment. The busses are still there. Just parked out front of the terminal. The bus drivers and all the employees who worked in the terminal aren't there, though. Their jobs are gone, too.

So what lessons do you take away from Comair ALPA's 89 day strike and the aftermath over the last nine years or so? Pretty powerful and protective stuff, those ALPA regional unions, wouldn't you agree? They protect jobs, benefits, everything. And the vocal minority over at SkyWest who are whining, bitching and moaning about losses they've had while their pilot group has pretty much trippled in size over the same period of time want to start another union drive. Yep, that'll solve everthing. Let's get ALPA onboard over there. Great idea. Just taxi past Terminal C at KCVG and see the glory.

Nevermind. I'm probably just being narrow minded or exposing my ignorance.

Proof union busting managers use this board as propaganda. Read Confessions of Union buster by Marty Levitt. You would not believe the lengths and costs companies will go to prevent, and bust employees from becoming organized.

Latest resources

Back