ALPA is dead!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
G4G5 said:
The Army corp of Engineers didn't really need the money it's much better to spend it in Iraq so I can have $3.00 a gallon gas.

The USACE told the state that they would not hold over a cat 3, but that was ignored. Plenty of blame to go around.

Gas is 2.62, and that's out in SOCAL.

TonyC said:
But for all its warts, for all its blemishes, for all the mistakes that have been made in the past, there is not another organization (ALPA)that better equips pilots to work together to ensure a safe, secure future in professional aviation. If you know of a better way to skin the cat, I'm all ears.

Was gonna respond, but I choked on my own vomit . . .

back to lurking

FNG_that's me said:
Remember, only 4% of Americans are athiest and want God taken out of the pledge or off the dollar bill, but you hear about it all the time on the TV. A few anti-union pilots(or perhaps plants from management to seed your beliefs) disheartened about true misfortunes in their career should not sway you from the basic belief that we must be represented. Don't like the representation?
yeah- lets tie religion into this alpa discussion

and
let's label people anti-union for having a different viewpoint:)

TonyC said:
If the best you guys can do is pretend that guys working for profitable carriers are only there because of dumb luck and that we need to be groveling each day to show our appreciation to the gods of chance, then we don't have much to discuss. It didn't take a 9/11 for some of us to see that express cargo provides a much more stable business than passengers. Rather than credit us with a wise choice, you feel better by crediting us with dumb luck. You had the chance, but you chose the early morning wake-ups and dragging your bags through terminals. We didn't. Get over it. It has nothing to do with ALPA.

We Have A Winner!!!!

Tony C. took the bait. "It's YOUR fault because YOU chose the WRONG airline!" Thank you for following in the footsteps of such luminaries as UAL, AA, USAir and Delta people after the AA/TWA integration. "You should have chosen a different airline."

Now, only FedEX remains atop the smouldering heap of what used to be a good career and you are telling the UAL, AA, USAir and Delta people that they should have chosen a better airline.

One of the problems is that before the Legacy carriers took their hit, there were a bunch of people willing to bust their butts at AirTran, JB and SWA to beat them. Now, there are a whole lot of people who are willing to bust their butts to make their carrier go. You at FEX and UPS are currently insulated from attack by a startup. You'd better hope it stays that way.

As for HAL and Aloha. Yes, ALPA's lawyers may be preventing you from working for a Mesa-like contract but you can negotiate the pay rates you have without a union--look at AirTran's pay scales.

Good luck to all.TC

AA717driver said:
We Have A Winner!!!!

Tony C. took the bait. "It's YOUR fault because YOU chose the WRONG airline!" Thank you for following in the footsteps of such luminaries as UAL, AA, USAir and Delta people after the AA/TWA integration. "You should have chosen a different airline."

Now, only FedEX remains atop the smouldering heap of what used to be a good career and you are telling the UAL, AA, USAir and Delta people that they should have chosen a better airline.

One of the problems is that before the Legacy carriers took their hit, there were a bunch of people willing to bust their butts at AirTran, JB and SWA to beat them. Now, there are a whole lot of people who are willing to bust their butts to make their carrier go. You at FEX and UPS are currently insulated from attack by a startup. You'd better hope it stays that way.

As for HAL and Aloha. Yes, ALPA's lawyers may be preventing you from working for a Mesa-like contract but you can negotiate the pay rates you have without a union--look at AirTran's pay scales.

Good luck to all.TC

Let's try to agree that at every successful carrier(fedex, southwest and friends for now) there are three types of people(at least).

1. Those who took the first job offered to them(probably the largest group)
2. Those who used foresight to pick where they wanted to work.
3. And those who couldn't get on with anybody else at time. i.e. Pan Am wouldn't take me, so I had to go to insert legacy/cargo carrier here.

In fact, in life there are only three types of people...those who can count and those who can't.

Anybody else notice that AA717driver signs his posts 'TC' and he is butting heads with a TonyC...same guy I think. (no, not really)

TonyC said:
It didn't take a 9/11 for some of us to see that express cargo provides a much more stable business than passengers. Rather than credit us with a wise choice, you feel better by crediting us with dumb luck. You had the chance, but you chose the early morning wake-ups and dragging your bags through terminals. We didn't. Get over it. It has nothing to do with ALPA.

Hey TonyC.

You sound like a young guy.

Before you go tooting your horn about the great choices you've made throughout your illustrious aviation career, keep in mind that there are plenty of older guys getting screwed right now that "chose" their airline when Federal Express had 14 Falcon 20's and a handful of 727's, and was considered a second-tier flying job.

They probably wish they possessed your incredible foresight.

So simmer down there sparky.

Last edited:
Redmeat said:
Hey TonyC.

You sound like a young guy.

Before you go tooting your horn about the great choices you've made throughout your illustrious aviation career, keep in mind that there are plenty of older guys getting screwed right now that "chose" their airline when Federal Express had 14 Falcon 20's and a handful of 727's, and was considered a second-tier flying job.

Met a guy once who was one of the original pilots at FedEx....He left after a year or so, thought the company was not going anywhere. He sure regretted that decision

Well this thread didn't take long to get dirty....

I'd ask the anti ALPA posters on this thread to speak to the issue of what exactly ALPA should be doing in this current environment... But really, do we want to go thru the trash talking and ancedontal blah blah again and again. More chest beating, unrealistic and idealistic solutions that don't account for cause and effect, multi faceted issues and real problem solving...

It is not that ALPA doesn't have real issues.. It does, but there aren't too many posters on this board that could identify them. Ever see Mississippi Burning? When the poor uneducated blacks are rioting and burning their own village. Yeah, that's you guys. Too ignorant to even know how the system works, let alone start a movement to envoke change. So angry you're ready to fight the very organization that represents you. (and too ignorant to know how to fight the very organization...that's the beauty of it)

Now that the angry mob has declared ALPA useless and you feel better about yourselves, what has changed?

We all certianly have a level of expectation. And when that expectation isn't meet then it has to be someones fault. Anyones fault, just so long as you don't have to look in the mirror....

Back to the orginal poster. I agree..ALPA is ineffective... One thing we can do is wait for the good times... then all you whiney, good for nothing, sport b1itchers will find something else cry about. The reason ALPA is so ineffective is its membership. The attitudes on this board are one reason. Other reasons, pilots think ALPA is a service and a silver bullit. One shot fixes everything.

Unions provide the resources and tools, but you get to do the work.... The problem is you guys don't even know how to use the tools. Combined with your one shot silver bullit, misguided understandings and unrealistic expectations of the organization, you'll never be happy with ALPA/unions.

See you guys next week on the next ALPA/union bashing thread....

[we now return you to your regularly scheduled ALPA hate mongering thread]

Last edited:
AA717driver said:
We Have A Winner!!!!

Yeah, those are the words you'd like to put in my mouth because you have a slam prepared - - you tried to put those words in our mouths in your last post. I said nothing of the sort. I have only responded to the insinuations and outright accusations that the only reason we might be happy with ALPA is that we were too stupid to find a real job and instead stumbled into this gig by some cosmic freak accident. It offers no substance to the discussion, and it is ludicrous. You can't offer any solutions, so you hurl insults at those who are faring well during the storm. They call that disingenuous.

I don't care which airline you chose. My family's welfare profits not nor suffers a whit by the choices you've made. I made my choice, and I'm living with it. Whether I chose as you, or you as I, has zero bearing on the discussion at hand. You want to talk about ALPA? Fine. Then let's talk about ALPA. Stop wasting bandwidth trying to insinuate we're only happy with ALPA because we were too stupid to have your job.

Latest resources

Back