• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Filed with NMB today to represent Colgan Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Never mind new-woman guy's. He's SKW Mgmt. and fears what the momentum could become if you vote it in. He'll have to start coming up with more rhetoric to try and fight it off at SKW. This really scares you doesn't Newman?

What If?

Just to play devil's advocate, ALPA drives up the cost of operating, all Colgan's contracts get dropped for less expensive operators. Furlough insues, Prater's mustache gets bigger, Colgan pilots end up on the street. Again just devil's advocate.

Just to play devil's advocate, ALPA drives up the cost of operating, all Colgan's contracts get dropped for less expensive operators. Furlough insues, Prater's mustache gets bigger, Colgan pilots end up on the street. Again just devil's advocate.

If Colgan cannot remain competitive with a union, then it needs some management who knows what they are doing. What percentage of airlines are union? Seriously. This is a dumb arguement.

It's not an argument, I like a lot of silent colgan pilots are on the fence and need some convincing one way or another. Do I think an in house team can do anything, no. Do I think ALPA has gone the way of most any group that has been in unequal power too long as ALPA has, yes.

It's a conundrum, ALPA is not what they were 20 years ago, now they are bloated, self serving, and egotistical. Yet it could be the lesser of two evils.

Can ALPA gaurentee us protection from being stapled in the event of a list merger. Let's ask US Airways pilots how they feel on that one.

Prior to the aquasition if you asked me did we need a union? I would have replied absolutely not. Now there are different variables involved.

I do not have a dog in this fight, I've been here almost 4 years and will probably be leaving in the next 6 month. I've been treated well and do not identify with most the horror stories that have circulated through the years. I do beleive it is my responsibility to set a course of action beneficial to current and future Colgan Pilots.

ALPA is not a cure all end all. I'm getting acqaunted with the pro's and con's on both sides and making an informed decision as I hope everybody else is. The people's opinions I appreciate the most are senoir captains like myself who have been here for a while. It's hard to take junoir FO's seriously, like the ones I've seen campaigning in our hubs. Especially at less than a year on line and 500 hours, not saying anybody in this discussion is.

I would like to see line pilots with ALPA carriers not in the ALPA propaganda machine state their opinion. That is the information I will hold in the highest regard. Lastly, I am a commuter pilot for a stepping stone airline I hold no pie in the sky aspirations for Colgan. I want to know what realitic goals can be attained and who can create the best oppurtunity for these goals.

well spoken j-man!!, i would have well expected your honest, weighed response..you're right..it's not a win-win, but i'm glad you're basing your thoughts on the future colgan guys...

Lastly, I am a commuter pilot for a stepping stone airline I hold no pie in the sky aspirations for Colgan. I want to know what realitic goals can be attained and who can create the best oppurtunity for these goals.

I don't think decent work rules and fair pay are too much to ask. Even with a job offer, I still think you have a dog in the fight as long as you're at Colgan.

It's not an argument, I like a lot of silent colgan pilots are on the fence and need some convincing one way or another. Do I think an in house team can do anything, no. Do I think ALPA has gone the way of most any group that has been in unequal power too long as ALPA has, yes.

It's a conundrum, ALPA is not what they were 20 years ago, now they are bloated, self serving, and egotistical. Yet it could be the lesser of two evils.

Can ALPA gaurentee us protection from being stapled in the event of a list merger. Let's ask US Airways pilots how they feel on that one.

Prior to the aquasition if you asked me did we need a union? I would have replied absolutely not. Now there are different variables involved.

I do not have a dog in this fight, I've been here almost 4 years and will probably be leaving in the next 6 month. I've been treated well and do not identify with most the horror stories that have circulated through the years. I do beleive it is my responsibility to set a course of action beneficial to current and future Colgan Pilots.

ALPA is not a cure all end all. I'm getting acqaunted with the pro's and con's on both sides and making an informed decision as I hope everybody else is. The people's opinions I appreciate the most are senoir captains like myself who have been here for a while. It's hard to take junoir FO's seriously, like the ones I've seen campaigning in our hubs. Especially at less than a year on line and 500 hours, not saying anybody in this discussion is.

I would like to see line pilots with ALPA carriers not in the ALPA propaganda machine state their opinion. That is the information I will hold in the highest regard. Lastly, I am a commuter pilot for a stepping stone airline I hold no pie in the sky aspirations for Colgan. I want to know what realitic goals can be attained and who can create the best oppurtunity for these goals.

I think it is imperative that we all make informed decisions, and mine is based on the exact group you mentioned. Line ALPA pilots not in the propaganda machine. I commute, and talk to a lot of different groups of pilots. (ALPA and Non-ALPA). The unanamous response to the questions I have asked is: Colgan pilots need representation. ALPA may not be the most wonderful thing since sliced bread, but it's the best thing out there for us. We have a lot to loose and a lot to gain. All I ask for here is a good set of work rules, a commuting clause, and fair pay.

The people with the most to gain are the guys 5 years from now, yes. But you DO have a dog in the fight. 5 years from now the Colgan Pilots will thank us. It's the right thing to do.

As far as the US Air pilots go, (and maybe I'm totally off base here) but from what I have heard, they did not want to negotiate for anything other than date of hire, and the independant arbitrator said tough. I think you would be hard pressed to find a pilot group that has been merged where everyone was thrilled with the results.

Last edited:
wake up, girls! colgan has nothing! what do we have to lose? nothing! we need some help, and since the majority of colgan pilots are nancys,doesnt look like we can get it from within. do the math, boys ...1.95% of nothing is nothing!

Latest resources

Back