• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA Filed with NMB today to represent Colgan Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
These new hires are part of the gimmie generation. They have no idea what real pain and real sacrafice is. Live through a furlough, live through 9-11, pay freezes and cuts.

When I say twenty years ago I'm referencing 70's early 80's. My Grandad was high up in ALPA and I went to many a formal function and rubbed shoulders with some of its best. It is not the same group as it used to be, my opinion.

Of course its not the same... in your opinion was it better worse or different?

I own his original copy of Flying The Line and yes, I have read it. Again that was ALPA, like avaition in the "Golden Age."

If you look at a furlough graph... there have been pilots on furlough longer than they have not been. IOW the good ol' days aren't so good... not so golden...

The fact is if you intend to be at an ALPA carrier some day..why not today. This isn't your Granpa's union... in many ways ALPA has become much more efficient. Now of course many pilots are disatified with ALPA because ALPA has not protected them from market forces.. but that is a perception of expectations.. which may or may not be valid.

The fact is global market forces are going to effect every air line pilot in the US: from B787 pilots to BE-1900 pilots. Better to be ready then not....

ALPA is the only pilot union thats working on international issues....

I have noticed mostly brand new hires spouting off about ALPA can't do anything for us, ALPA is a waste of time, I don't care about ALPA i am just going to get my time and go...etc etc.

Where the HE!! are they getting these hair brained ideas and please tell me they won't be voting!

Crazy part is, they won't listen to those who have been here a while. it is like they are completely brainwashed or something.

man, you hit the nail square on the head. how in the world do you ever show a 300hr guy whats right, when he would do his job for free?

I have noticed mostly brand new hires spouting off about ALPA can't do anything for us, ALPA is a waste of time, I don't care about ALPA i am just going to get my time and go...etc etc.

Where the HE!! are they getting these hair brained ideas and please tell me they won't be voting!

Crazy part is, they won't listen to those who have been here a while. it is like they are completely brainwashed or something.

Ha! It's training. They are running a 24/7 brainwashing operation down there at the Kremlin. The KGB is spreading propaganda like wildfire. The union-busting lawyers pass their lies to management, who passes it to the instructors and company guys, who pass it to the new hires. They are relentless down there, trust me. Imagine finally getting that airline job you have been working towards, and every day in training they are saying how ALPA is going to hose you over. Are you seriously going to go against the people who (from the impression they give you) took a huge risk on you, and you should be thankful. I feel bad for the new guys. You know what Kermit says; "It's not easy being green"

If you are new to Colgan and have questions, PLEASE FOLKS, contact a member of the Organizing Committee and/or visit one of those "grab a bite to eat" events which are all over.

more info at www.alpa.org/colgan

This is a great opportunity, LET'S MAKE IT BETTER!!!
Update your contact information, and
VOTE YES FOR ALPA!!!

I Think ALPA was better then. The quality of people running were of greater character. When I talked to these members of the "Greatest Generation," I was in awe. They started out in open cockpit biplanes and ended in DC-10's. The pilots I were lucky to be in the presence of were WWII fighter pilots, bomber pilots, men who flew the hump. I guess I have huge bias, but these guys were living heroes I looked up to figuratively and literally. Again, this is my opinion which, "don't mean didley sh!t to anyone but me.

I Think ALPA was better then. The quality of people running were of greater character. When I talked to these members of the "Greatest Generation," I was in awe. They started out in open cockpit biplanes and ended in DC-10's. The pilots I were lucky to be in the presence of were WWII fighter pilots, bomber pilots, men who flew the hump. I guess I have huge bias, but these guys were living heroes I looked up to figuratively and literally. Again, this is my opinion which, "don't mean didley sh!t to anyone but me.

I think you are romancing the good ol' days and being cynical about the present and future....

I think you are romancing the good ol' days and being cynical about the present and future....

I think people do that with lots of things. Look at the 1950's. Everyone loves Leave it to Beaver style living, but no one seems to correlate that with Lynching and church burning, and McCarthyism, and etc and etc. We like to remember good things, we like to forget bad things.

I think people do that with lots of things. Look at the 1950's. Everyone loves Leave it to Beaver style living, but no one seems to correlate that with Lynching and church burning, and McCarthyism, and etc and etc. We like to remember good things, we like to forget bad things.

Agreed. the fact is..the first part of the last century was very bad. Two world wars and the depression. The future is our only option... I choose to be positive about it...

Sit in any crewroom and pilots seem to defualt to cynicism and apathy... why? Compared to the past we are living in great times.. flying great equipment... and we can make it better if we stop complaining and effect positive change...

Latest resources

Back