• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Allegiant Hiring.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah it seems they purchased those 757's with as assumption that the FAA was just going to grant them ETOPs certification and sugar coat it right out of the box. I dont understand where they got that kind of info to have those expectations.

So hmm let me get this straight you buy 757's in hopes of getting ETOPS???? Sounds to me like a few more MD-88's could have been bought. I dont think this was thought thru. Just like the move from SFB to MCO then back to SFB. Hmm another waste of $$. I dont know if anyone remembers but this is not the first time we have seen Allegiant they were in bankruptcy in 2000

Last edited:
G4 still is trying to tinker with a way to have crews fly to HI and be back at a mainland base that day so they don't have to pay for hotels. Also, those 4 757s are sitting in hangars, why don't they put them on domestic runs from LAS the MD-80 dosen't have the range for?

MCO to LAS is in BAAAAD need a more than one Non-stopper... the 75 would need to ba added to their certificate for domestic ops and fill the darn thing every trip..

I agree this route does need more that 1 nonstop. If I were them I would run the '57 out of RFD to SFB or RFD to LAS. They need to bank on what they have going already underutilized airports that they pretty much run like (RFD,SFB) also remember that most of these airports have free parking and that is golden in this economy.

If you weigh it out, is it worth all the training and certification to get these 757's up and running, I think so. If they pick the right routes

Last edited:
Sir Walter Sobchak, O.B.M. (Emeritus)
Has a ring to it!
Initiation to The Order requires you to carry the "scepter" with you at all times for 24 hours.

I already carry my own personal black mamba with me at all times.

I agree this route does need more that 1 nonstop. If I were them I would run the '57 out of RFD to SFB or RFD to LAS. They need to bank on what they have going already underutilized airports that they pretty much run like (RFD,SFB) also remember that most of these airports have free parking and that is golden in this economy.

If you weigh it out, is it worth all the training and certification to get these 757's up and running, I think so. If they pick the right routes

If they was smart they would try to hook up with Apple Vacations out of ORD running the 757's to PVR and CUN. FAA wants to see operating performance for a year and how many times they have engine problems before they hand you ETOPS. It will be possible for 180 out of box but not without the 1 year operations. Thats has been my experience. What I dont understand is why they dont operate in the Caribbean they would make a killing doing that.

Also they did have trouble back in 2000. But they was only running a small operations back then with bad route structure.

At RD we were running the 757 on charters for a little while before the ETOPS application began. Once the process started and the training program, etc, was complete we had to run "simulated" ETOPs flights.

They were on SFO-CUN, SFO-PVR, type routes that we just simulated the ETOPs procedures on even though it was over land. I want to say that we did the sim ETOPs routes for at least 6 months before we were able to start the proving runs to HI.

RD was 180 mins out of the box.

Latest resources

Back