Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

psycho

Whup Dat Trick
Pfaa next. Mgt is proposing outsourcing and pay cuts. F/A's are also forced to train the scabs.

Alpa next. 22% pay cut (in addition to the 15% cut and relaxation of work rules ) and additional 1100 furloughs. Scope will be destroyed.

Then comes IAM. God only knows what NWA mgt will ask of them.

Do you folks still believe that it is not in " YOUR " best interest to honor the picket lines. When is somebody going to say enough?

I will not be happy flying the 300 seat " Regional Jet " to Asia if that is you guys are willing to lay down for.

Somebody needs to tell this tool that the designation, SF-340, doesn't mean it has 340 seats.

RUhiring? said:
Somebody needs to tell this tool that the designation, SF-340, doesn't mean it has 340 seats.

What???

He is talking about the continuing erosion of pay this profession is seeing. If this trend continues, then you will see the 300-seat A330/340 being flown at rates that could be extrapolated from the pay scales of the "small-jet" carriers. THAT is what he was referring to and hoping that NW and other mainline pilots won't allow.

The labor cost cuts have gone on for four years, with a few groups not joining the rest of their co-workers to take cuts (i.e. mechanics at NW, FA's at CAL, etc.). Should all those groups then join the rest, then management should not be asking labor to cut further. Management cannot expect to offset the costs of high fuel prices on the backs of labor by coming around for second, third, and fourth rounds of pay cuts. No one is helping us offset what we pay for fuel at the local gas station.

FA's forced to train scabs ?? I doubt this... C'mon ....

Didnt USAir have round 1, 2, 3 , 4, ......??

He may be a tool, but he has a point. My fa friends told me yesterday that NWA wants to put all asian fas on all the pacific routes. That would outsource about half the fa positions at nwa to $5/hr foriegn labor. If somebody doesn't do something soon, we may be flying a "regional jet to the pacific sooner than you think. It's pretty scary right now.

mnboyev said:

Umm... they are doing training flights with the nwa fas. Isn't that training scabs?

Hey Psycho,
I know it is kind of taboo to ask a guy where he works, but I am trying to get your frame of reference. It looks to me like you are at the regionals. It looks like you are angry that NWA Alpa did not support AMFA in its foolish strategy of being seperated from the pack and being devoured by hyenas. I would think that you would be content at your chosen profession where you have chosen to fly as an rj captain for 60-90 thousand with few benefits and no retirement. Could it be that you are looking for a brighter future? Why is my job (that used to have great pay and benefits) at a major airline not what it used to be? Its called competition. With no bitterness or anger I will tell you that one of the reasons that NWA management thinks it can get the draconian cuts that it wants is simply because you can replace me. I think you should organize a strike among all rj employees--even better--, just walk away from your jobs completly! That will show NWA mgmt that they need me and they will stop trying to cut my pay and benefits. Is that reasonable? That is what you are asking me to do. If the pilots walked we could/would end up like EAL. The company could/would liquidate. Steenland would get a bonus for his shrewd sell off of the assets and then--surprise--another startup would emerge from the ashes to compete with you.
Just let NWA Alpa have its at bats. They have done a pretty good job so far. Not perfect, but they are only human.
Yes, PFAA is next. They need to work another plan besides "no paycuts" because they are in competition with what your FA's work for.
Then it is ALPA's turn. I expect management to be a bunch of snarling, rabid, herpes infested hyenas when they come after us. NW alpa seems to be prepared and has a long history of dealing with the "animals". I have a lot to lose and I back NWA ALPA.

mnboyev said:

That is exactly what happened. The PFAA were forcred to train their own "replacement" workers on actual "IOE" flights. If they refused to train them they were disiplined. NWA management has 1200 scab fa's waiting to do exactly what they did to the mechanics. Nice place huh?

Competition..... is good to a point. I have no bone in the fight.. But I do have lots of friends over at redtail. Spent 9 years there myself in MX. So I still have a little red blood left... Even as I sit in my AirTran psuedo RJ with 117 plush seats. Still have a meatball on my arse.

Alpa did the right thing it seems.. However, it seems one cannot run an airline by gutting the employees. Change the business plan Steenland ! It is not about market share. is it? Maybe, they should focus on the high end markets.... Asia.. Europe.. Business.. Cargo..?? Instead they worry about secondary markets. ie Flint. What does it cost to fight in Flint ? What is the cost to employees?

What about Boston? How much do all those new RJ's cost?

It seems... maybe I'm wrong (I hope so) the labor lawyers are left to steer the ship one more time at NWA... Pretty sad. Employees at NWA have given much with loyalty and hard work... Only to be hit in the teeth.

Wages and benefits are not the answer... Fix the business.. Business leaders.. Thats what you get the big bucks for...

Latest resources

Back