• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

kingair1

Alaska management announces up to 165 furloughs

Management Verbally Notifies ALPA of Expected Furloughs

Your Association met this afternoon with management at their request. Management had requested the meeting to provide an overview of their planned capacity reduction for 2009 of 11%, and how they envision it will impact the pilot group. Although they provided nothing in writing, management verbally informed your Union leadership at this meeting that they anticipate furloughing up to 165 pilots between November 1 and February 1.

Your MEC continues to talk with management about the possibility of implementing retirement incentives and extended leaves of absence. Management indicated the number of necessary furloughs could change based on the number of pilots who elect to take retirement incentives and/or extended leaves of absence if they were offered.

Your representatives have been meeting for about a month, since management first stated that furloughs may be necessary, in an effort to find ways to best protect the interests of this pilot group. At the meeting with management today, your representatives asked a number of questions, and requested that management provide further analysis on ways to mitigate the furlough numbers,

Last edited:
As someone who is one on that list, I say furlough me. I will not sign a sub-par contract just to avoid furlough. These crooks have over $1 Billion in the bank and think that furloughing us is the answer. I will not be strong-armed into a contract that makes this job even less valuable than it has already become.:angryfire

As someone who is one on that list, I say furlough me. I will not sign a sub-par contract just to avoid furlough. These crooks have over $1 Billion in the bank and think that furloughing us is the answer. I will not be strong-armed into a contract that makes this job even less valuable than it has already become.:angryfire

Ditto - This will be my 5th airline furlough in 19 years....Can you picture my smile??? :nuts::angryfire:puke:

Baja.

I have heard management is after the old guys. True, they want to trim some newbies off to correspond with a reduction in capacity, but they want to get as many of the age 60+ guys off the books and by announcing furloughs with monetary incentives for early retires ....$100K lump sum, they could shed the high end weight. I was unfortunate enough to go to the "Road Show" a few days ago as I was in 737 training and Saretsky and Beck were there. Saretsky constantly alluded to furloughs and the number would depend on how many guys they could get to retire earlier. Heck, three or four newbies cost as much as an old fart when you throw everything in. But, I would not place any credibility on 165 guys. That is just a scare tactic to put pressure on the old guys to move on.

I have heard management is after the old guys. True, they want to trim some newbies off to correspond with a reduction in capacity, but they want to get as many of the age 60+ guys off the books and by announcing furloughs with monetary incentives for early retires ....$100K lump sum, they could shed the high end weight. I was unfortunate enough to go to the "Road Show" a few days ago as I was in 737 training and Saretsky and Beck were there. Saretsky constantly alluded to furloughs and the number would depend on how many guys they could get to retire earlier. Heck, three or four newbies cost as much as an old fart when you throw everything in. But, I would not place any credibility on 165 guys. That is just a scare tactic to put pressure on the old guys to move on.

Sounds like they took a page from CAL's half-a$$ed play book.

Seconded! I'm in the bottom 165 as well and you echoed my thoughts exactly.

Latest resources

Back