• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska management verbally announces furloughs for

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The way I read that is 94 + 40=134. We will not get 94 pilots to take the EOP/LOA. 25 tops for the EOP.

I did not see the * to denote the fact that this document is valid only at the time it was posted.

The way I read that is 94 + 40=134. We will not get 94 pilots to take the EOP/LOA. 25 tops for the EOP.

I did not see the * to denote the fact that this document is valid only at the time it was posted.

Aren't they talking about Horizon's furloughs of 94+40? Not Alaska's? I don't think they have any numbers since the Early-out and LOA's aren't in yet.

Baja.

“Right now, Air Group’s fuel cost is exceedingly high, making it very challenging to fly profitably,”

This is the same Air Group that likes to boast about having the 2nd best fuel hedges in the industry.

ALK wants to furlough 150-190 pilots, while American is cancelling theirs and Delta is getting ready to hire by the end of this year.

Don't tell me that American & Delta are paying less
for their fuel than AAG.

Maybe AAG should furlough its high-level management for not having the competence to
make a profit with the 2nd best fuel hedges in
the airline industry.

Aren't they talking about Horizon's furloughs of 94+40? Not Alaska's? I don't think they have any numbers since the Early-out and LOA's aren't in yet.

Baja.

Yes.
---------------------------------------

"So far, the effect on Horizon’s work force includes:

• A reduction of 75 management positions, in large part through attrition and voluntary layoffs.
A reduction of 94 pilot positions through attrition, early-out packages and leaves, and a furlough of about 40 pilots this November."

I think we have 115 airplanes and about 1500 pilots. Some are on med leave, some are mgt. guys, and a lot are instructors. So how do they think we are that short to start cutting guys??? I don't see it happening. If it does 50 tops and that does not make sense if they get early/Loa guys.
Just for reference, we have 1500 active pilots on the senioirty list (170 on furlough) flying about 135-140 airplanes over at Airtran. You guys either have a great contract or are overstaffed.

I really think this is all just straight BS from the Ford and Harrison playbook. Look at the facts, 2nd best fuel hedge, over a billion in cash, single fleet etc... I do however think that the company will furlough to send a message even if it costs them more in the long run to do it.

With the MD gone we have become fat on pilots but until these pilots are trained you have to look at them as not being employed. That means on the 737 alone we are still understaffed according to everyone except TK and upper management. As these guys are trained they will fatten up the position list but at a rate that allows for the 1 to 1 aircraft transition.

That being said even if we shrink 10% we would be staffed at around 7 pilots per seat per aircraft. That's about where we are now. I also heard we have only had 7 pilots put in the paper work for EOB.

On a side note I saw Ayer is or is going to be CEO at PSE. I wonder if that means GS will be the new CEO.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back