Alaska management verbally announces furloughs for

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No letters yet

In speaking with members of the MEC today, October 9th, no pilots have received letters. They did receive a letter from management regarding the company's "intent" to furlough 9 pilots. So, until these letters are sent and received, it is all talk.

Also, the rumor of a cap on "early retire" numbers at 75 is just that, a rumor.

This whole scenario smacks an aweful lot of "Stockholm Syndrome", just on a small scale. Let everyone believe there is going to be a furlough, no matter how small, which gets emotions running high. Then when you don't do it and release that it was all a rumor and maybe a mistake, everyone takes a collective sigh of relief and thinks, "well maybe these guys aren't so bad after all. They aren't really playing mind games and screwing with the lives of these poor guys (and their families) who are still on probation."

This is the beginning of the heavy hitting folks. I'm happy for the 9 if they don't get the official letter. It was bogus to begin with, but don't think for a minute that this wasn't an orchestrated event. They know exactly what they are doing. We need to fly the contract. Be smart individually and collectively so that management can't use any of us as hostages, and realize that these events are part of a greater strategy.

My $0.02.

I don't think there is a single guy who thinks that these guys aren't so bad b/c the letters were not sent. if there are...and there's always a couple of dbags in every group, then they should have their ATP's revoked for being functionally retarded.

here's how it went down: the second floor was told to make staffing adjustments, and they did based on what they thought the contract stipulated and came up with a number to reduce and began the EO and LOA process. way more people apply for both and they start taking their time as they realize that furloughs probably wont' be necessary but have some issues to work thru. Then...GS, the narcissisted syncophant, swoops down mid meeting (true story) and says FURLOUGH..FURLOUGH...do it now!!!! everyone spazzes, and a low level manager with no knowledge of the contract tells ALPA that there will be a need to furlough up to 9 pilots. alpa calls those 9 hostages to warn them, and then someone on the second floors realizes that the company will get their asses sued and lose if they arbitrarily do this, and somehow those letters are never sent out....shocker

if anything this whole thing has galvanized everyone here against those bafoons. Hopefully alot of you guys were at the Boeing picket yesterday. I was, and was very impressed at the solidarity those guys showed. just hope some of that rubs off on us when the time comes.

Mookie

Last edited:
I wish I could have been at the Boeing picket. I don't doubt that it was an impressive display of solidarity. I was at our picket at the shareholders meeting at Boeing Field and it was no surprise to see who was honking horns in support of us...Boeing machinists and the like. I'm glad that we were able show them our support and hope to see some of them on our picket line when we strike.

Just another example of one hand not knowing what the other is doing in this snake ranch.

As one of the nine, I have not received a letter. I had to call ALPA to find out that letters are not going to be sent out. Seems they are quick to call to warn us of a furlough as well as FedEx us a package regarding the furlough, but don't bother to give us a status update when things change....I'm not very impressed with either side at the moment.

Source??

And to the Alaska nine: can you confirm? Have you receive your letters yet?? A certified letter from SEA to ANC sent this past Mon. should be here by now....

AZ,
What has changed that ALPA needs to notify? It's all on the company not knowing what they are going to do tomorrow, let alone a month from now.

Latest resources

Back