• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska management verbally announces furloughs for

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My question is... how are they going to Furlough in DEC, JAN, FEB... add ETOPS to LAX, Line check LAX ETOPS pilots JAN & FEB, Shift flying around busy Hawaii schedule... Downgrade Jr. Captains in Anchorage... predict an accurate number of LOA's and Early Out's... train the remaining MD crossover's... mitigate the bid blocks... negotiate a LOA for part time lines and finally Gear up for the summer schedule that has always been lucrative even in tough economic times where(Alaska) we face little or no competition! How can they predict anything? They can't! They created a Cluster F*** themselves.

Oil waaaaaay down...
Ticket prices falling again...
Loads picking back up...
DAL/NWA looking to strengthen code-share...
Gary Beck telling MEC about new routes...
!!! and Saretsky is saying the Sky is falling!!!

These tactics have been used over and over again. I am glad Baze draws a F & H connection because that's what this is.

We will probably add a LAX-HNL or LAX-OGG later next year, but I think this is mostly so they can cut 100 low seniority guys and not have a problem with staffing the Hawaii flying. I like how the first line is "GREAT NEWS...."

For who? Not the ANC guys....

We will probably add a LAX-HNL or LAX-OGG later next year, but I think this is mostly so they can cut 100 low seniority guys and not have a problem with staffing the Hawaii flying. I like how the first line is "GREAT NEWS...."

For who? Not the ANC guys....

Training guys in LA for ETOPS is not something new and ominous. It has been the plan all along to eventually have everyone trained for ETOPS once we had received approval. ANC made the most sense to start with because many ETOPS flights originate out of there and it is a small base, so getting everyone trained was fairly quick and easy. Those of us who have bid out of ANC still do the ETOPS recurrent in our CQ. Eventually we will all be ETOPS qualified. Training LAX makes good sense because it is the next logical jumping off point for flights to the islands. Why have ANC do those too? They are already stretched thin, and I don't personally want to do any more winter arctic flying. The fun meter runs a little low on the walkaround in Deadhorse at -20 degrees with a 20 knot wind.

As far as the furlough stuff goes, it's the game we are forced to play right now, and the best thing we can do for management is to get all worked up about it. One of our guys wrote a really good article on our alpa web board about Alaska management's past practice..I'd suggest everyone read it. Management has one goal right now...get us to fly for as little money as possible, and do that by any means necessary. We will never know the full extent of their future business plans, but they can afford to pay us. We just need to stay the course and make them.

PDX to the Islands? Where and who did you get that from? Just this months flavor on the PDX base rumor.
BTW, I also agree with the post on the ALPA board about 'History', and Alaska's playbook. Good reading, and good reasons to relax a bit and not get bent, which is exactly what they want.

PDX to the Islands? Where and who did you get that from? Just this months flavor on the PDX base rumor.
BTW, I also agree with the post on the ALPA board about 'History', and Alaska's playbook. Good reading, and good reasons to relax a bit and not get bent, which is exactly what they want.

You can get a pax from pdx-sea in the morning and on the sea-hnl. Because of this, I see lax-hnl first. We have a lot of frequent fliers there with no way to get to hnl from lax on Alaska.

Alaska has their code on AA's flights to the islands from LAX. If you want to redeem your Mileage Plan miles to the islands you could redeem them on AA, DL, and CO. I just don't see us flying LAX-HNL. We don't want to compete against UA, AA, CO, HA, or DL.

Look for SNA-HNL, OGG etc...Oh, but wait. We are furloughing and cutting capacity. We cant possibly start new city pairs.

Dear Alaska Management, Ford and Harrisson:

We are calling you on your BS.

Sincereley,

1500 of Alaskas finest.

Latest resources

Back