• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska contract

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would much rather have some control of my retirement rather than have it all tied up in a pension, hoping and praying that it stays intact until I die. You do realize that Alaska Airlines pilot pension is the only one that has not been defaulted on via BK? You like those odds?
When professionally analyzed, my advisor said that our company / negotiators were amazingly accurate. The difference for me (using some general return assumptions) on the rebalance vs the pension was withing a couple of hundred bucks after a 30 year career.
So yes, you take the risk, but is it any more risky than believing the pension will survive?

I wasn't arguing which choice would be right for you and your family. I was merely arguing that option 3 was sold as an equivalent to option 1. Having said that, I was wrong anyway. I just reviewed the mailer from the last contract. For me there was a $300 increase to go from option 1 to option 2 and another $300 increase to go option 3.

Anyway, enough about the last contract. It's water under bridge.

Everybody needs to download and read the investors /annual shareholders statement .. These guys are killing it !!! And their stock options are making them multimillionaires .. While we get a Small raise and hardly any scope and no raise in 401k... Also look at insider selling of stock on yahoo... March and Feb were good months for those guys!!

What I've seen so far, looks good to me. Unless the road shows change my mind, I will vote yes.

In the last week, I've talked to JH and CH. Two guys who were were both on the LEC / MEC within the last year and are now both managment. I asked them both the same question - As an MEC officer and as a CP, do you like this TA. Both said yes. Both said there were going to be things that guys don't like (pay numbers) but that when taken as a whole package, it makes us very close to being the top if not the top paid 737 drivers in the USA.

Now boys and girls, I can hear the howling in the background already - "but their management, of course they are going to say that". But these two men were also the men WE elected and that WE choose to represent us in ALPA. So what does that say about us? We trusted them 6 months ago, but not today? JH and CH are honorable men. I / We trusted them 6 months ago when they were on the MEC and I / We should trust them today when they are our chiefs. If they say it's as good as it's going to get, well I believe them.

I vote yes (unless the road shows change my mind).

You would be singing a different tune if you were still a FO. Merger/acquisition language benefits captains FAR more than FOs. With no Scope, watch Skywest or some other commuter airline fly your milk runs and other routes in their shiny 100 seater RJs with an eskimo on the tail.
Btw, I'm not bashing any of our union guys; I'm sure they had their reasons. Trust but verify. We only have ourselves to blame from here on.

If you were not here for contract '09....the 13.5% was sold as the equivalent of the prior plan. A couple decades will tell the truth.

Not saying your right or wrong but however it was sold... No increase in 401k contribution for the next five years is HUGE flag.... but the union gives themselves a credit raise... Come on.

Wow. Where to begin? This is scary in its complete disregard for FOs and their future. I guess as long as captains hit their magical $200 then nothing else matters. Scope should be number one on everyones list if you have more than 5 years left. Big RJs are coming and we just guaranteed they will not be flown by us. FOs still not back to pre-Kasher. No increase in retirement. Health care costs sure to go up since our cap is merely a percentage (and we didn't spell out any specifics on the type of plan). No increase in days off or vacation time.

No.

Wow. Where to begin? This is scary in its complete disregard for FOs and their future. I guess as long as captains hit their magical $200 then nothing else matters. Scope should be number one on everyones list if you have more than 5 years left. Big RJs are coming and we just guaranteed they will not be flown by us. FOs still not back to pre-Kasher. No increase in retirement. Health care costs sure to go up since our cap is merely a percentage (and we didn't spell out any specifics on the type of plan). No increase in days off or vacation time.

No.

No, you are wrong. They did throw a bone to the FOs... the furlough language! Now when the f**k you up the a$$, they'll use a little Vaseline and afterwards they'll give you a hug and tell you how much they love you!

Can't claim this is mine, just saw this elsewhere and makes some good points:

Keep this in mind when you vote and VOTE NO!

1. Company's record breaking profits both quarterly and annually while negotiating with its pilots
2. This is a 5 yr agreement
3. This is the first offer on the table and the second section 6 negotiations for Alaska pilots
4. Delta and United pilot NG pay rates are all completed (both carriers were bankrupt at one time)
5. The 737 is your largest aircraft in your Alaska pilot career
6. All Alaska pilots now are RNP & ETOPS qualified professionals
7. Annual inflation is at least 3% per year
8. Flight Attendants will seek a mediator for their agreement with management
9. Productivity equals less Captain upgrades, ie VSA or other work rule changes
10. FO' are not back to pre Kasher wages for 2 years!

Just to name a few.... You may add more if I missed something.
If true, JUST Vote NO and get about 500 other pilots to vote the same way.. Also, replace the negotiation committee and lets get this right and not be in a rush.

As for my friend AK737FO, your argument about honorable men, etc, etc should be considered against the fact that some of these same individuals are now under management's thumb. Consider the source carefully. It's what we all should be doing.

In the last week, I've talked to JH and CH. Two guys who were were both on the LEC / MEC within the last year and are now both managment. I asked them both the same question - As an MEC officer and as a CP, do you like this TA. Both said yes. Both said there were going to be things that guys don't like (pay numbers) but that when taken as a whole package, it makes us very close to being the top if not the top paid 737 drivers in the USA.

Now boys and girls, I can hear the howling in the background already - "but their management, of course they are going to say that". But these two men were also the men WE elected and that WE choose to represent us in ALPA. So what does that say about us? We trusted them 6 months ago, but not today? JH and CH are honorable men. I / We trusted them 6 months ago when they were on the MEC and I / We should trust them today when they are our chiefs. If they say it's as good as it's going to get, well I believe them.

I vote yes (unless the road shows change my mind).

Waitasecondholdup.... Are you kidding? Wow!

Can't claim this is mine, just saw this elsewhere and makes some good points:

Keep this in mind when you vote and VOTE NO!

1. Company's record breaking profits both quarterly and annually while negotiating with its pilots
2. This is a 5 yr agreement
3. This is the first offer on the table and the second section 6 negotiations for Alaska pilots
4. Delta and United pilot NG pay rates are all completed (both carriers were bankrupt at one time)
5. The 737 is your largest aircraft in your Alaska pilot career
6. All Alaska pilots now are RNP & ETOPS qualified professionals
7. Annual inflation is at least 3% per year
8. Flight Attendants will seek a mediator for their agreement with management
9. Productivity equals less Captain upgrades, ie VSA or other work rule changes
10. FO' are not back to pre Kasher wages for 2 years!

Just to name a few.... You may add more if I missed something.
If true, JUST Vote NO and get about 500 other pilots to vote the same way.. Also, replace the negotiation committee and lets get this right and not be in a rush.

As for my friend AK737FO, your argument about honorable men, etc, etc should be considered against the fact that some of these same individuals are now under management's thumb. Consider the source carefully. It's what we all should be doing.

Hope you don't mind, I've printed this out and will carry it with me!!

It's a NO VOTE for me!!

Latest resources

Back