• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska ANYONE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ATC might have some decent info but from my experience they're just another bunch of opportunistic predetory parasites sucking a scarce few dollars from hopeful pilots. Did I mention the exhorbitant fee for a lame laptop "simulator" version of flight sim?

ferlo said:
ATC might have some decent info but from my experience they're just another bunch of opportunistic predetory parasites sucking a scarce few dollars from hopeful pilots. Did I mention the exhorbitant fee for a lame laptop "simulator" version of flight sim?

I couldn't agree... less. I did the ATC interview prep. prior to the best interview of my life and also had an excellent sim. ride in no small part because of their 'lame' simulator instruction. ATC has very recent, valid interview preperation material (I can remember only 3 questions on my interview that weren't addressed by the ATC prep) and the sim. prep scenerios we practiced (lame as they were) included the exact profile I flew on the eval.

As far as the "predatory parasites" part... funny, but I think if you look at it from a 'return on investment' perspective it's a ridiculous argument.

I guess it all depends on the individual. I also didn't appreciate the follow up calls fishing for "updated" info. Basically, thru my hard work and dedication I get to a point in my career where I can get on at Alaska, and they feel that I should provide them with endless free info so they can turn around and sell it, without so much as a gesture of gratitude. So yes, they're parasites. Just another company who wants a pilot to do something for free so they can pull in some cash. Only a pilot would consider this as part of a "return on investment". I guess it's true in one sense... they're return, your investment.

Also, there is no denying their "sim' is a 20' computer screen and a version of Microsoft FlightSim. At least it was 5 years ago. Not impressive. For the same money you can go to Long Beach and fly a real MD-80. As soon as I left the place I knew I had wasted the money. To each his own.

ferlo said:
I guess it all depends on the individual. I also didn't appreciate the follow up calls fishing for "updated" info. Basically, thru my hard work and dedication I get to a point in my career where I can get on at Alaska, and they feel that I should provide them with endless free info so they can turn around and sell it, without so much as a gesture of gratitude. So yes, they're parasites. Just another company who wants a pilot to do something for free so they can pull in some cash. Only a pilot would consider this as part of a "return on investment". I guess it's true in one sense... they're return, your investment.

Also, there is no denying their "sim' is a 20' computer screen and a version of Microsoft FlightSim. At least it was 5 years ago. Not impressive. For the same money you can go to Long Beach and fly a real MD-80. As soon as I left the place I knew I had wasted the money. To each his own.
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one also, Ferlo. My experience was a good one as well. Good interview prep, spot on simulator training nearly identical to the sim ride. Is it a PC? yes, but in my opinion tougher to fly well than a sim that gives feedback. I also bought an hour of real sim time at STI and felt the combination of the two events was great prep. I did not have jumpseat privileges at the time so a trip down to LGB meant an airline ticket and looking back that would have been unnecessary.

As for the post interview solicitations, I gladly took the time to tell them about my process, because they give these feedback letters in a big packet to you when you buy their prep program. IMO they were just as valuable as the sim prep. I knew exactly what to expect walking in the door.
Overall well worth the money at the time. That being said, the process has changed quite a bit and I'm not sure if it is as scripted as it was. But it probably is.

Thanks for the information! I'll call them now that I have a good phone number.

I don't mind spending some money for interview prep if it gives me an edge by addressing areas of weakness that I need to work on...

Again, it depends on the individual. I did submit all of my interview experience to an aviation interview website. It's free for everybody. I have no problem doing that at all. That's just helping out the next guy. I'm done donating my time, for some aviation companies profit. Enough is enough.

Ditto.

av8instyle said:
I'm gonna have to disagree with you on this one also, Ferlo. My experience was a good one as well. Good interview prep, spot on simulator training nearly identical to the sim ride. Is it a PC? yes, but in my opinion tougher to fly well than a sim that gives feedback. I also bought an hour of real sim time at STI and felt the combination of the two events was great prep. I did not have jumpseat privileges at the time so a trip down to LGB meant an airline ticket and looking back that would have been unnecessary.

As for the post interview solicitations, I gladly took the time to tell them about my process, because they give these feedback letters in a big packet to you when you buy their prep program. IMO they were just as valuable as the sim prep. I knew exactly what to expect walking in the door.
Overall well worth the money at the time. That being said, the process has changed quite a bit and I'm not sure if it is as scripted as it was. But it probably is.

For those with a good memory- what kinds of questions do you remember being asked in the interview process?

Also, from what I have read I could expect to be on reserve for a long time. I'm interested in the ANC and SEA bases- how long until one could expect to be able to hold a line in either domicile?

The ATC people seemed to indicate they have SOME gouge on the interview, but I won't really know how much until the day before the interview.

I'm not really hung up on what aircraft I would fly, but will take whatever I can get if hired!

Thanks for the continuing information.

I got a call Thursday for an interview at the end of the month. Didn't have any SB or recommendations. Just applied online less than 6 months ago.

Does anyone have any examples of questions they ask? Is it pretty standard. I did't ask yet if I have a sim but it didn't sound like it. She said they have 4 days of interviews in Aug that are still being scheduled and unsure about how many in Sept. Any info on the initial interview would be wonderful.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back