• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Alaska ANYONE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This was posted on Alaska's World today ...

Tom Kemp named system chief pilot

MD-80 captain will lead airline’s 1,500 pilots

July 13, 2006

Captain Tom Kemp has been named system chief pilot and managing director of flight operations. He succeeds Captain Robert Spero, who has chosen to return to his duties as a check airman and aircrew program designee.

In his new post, Kemp is responsible for the safe operation of Alaska flights, including leading the airline’s 1,500 line pilots and ensuring flight operations comply with Federal Air Regulations and company policies. He also works with other airline divisions to coordinate policies and procedures that affect aircraft operations.

“Tom is a very experienced, well-respected flight operations leader and pilot advocate who has dedicated his career to mentoring and training others,” said Ben Forrest, vice president of flight operations. “We are fortunate to have someone of Tom’s caliber lead our pilot group in these dynamic times.”

Kemp, who has nearly 16,000 hours of flight time as a military and civilian pilot, was formerly Seattle base chief pilot for Alaska Airlines. As MD-80 fleet captain from 1999 to 2005, he had overall responsibility for procedures on that type of aircraft and supervised 32 check airmen, instructor evaluators and airplane program designees, who grant Federal Aviation Administration aircraft type ratings to pilots and monitor their performance.

“I am privileged to be a member of the most highly talented pilot group in the industry,” Kemp said. “Although we face a number of challenges, I’m very optimistic about our future and look forward to serving as the system chief pilot.”

Kemp joined Alaska in 1987 as a captain on Boeing MD-80 aircraft after spending four years flying for Jet America Airlines.

A graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy with a bachelor’s degree in business administration, Kemp served as a commander, instructor and flight examiner in the Air Force and Air Force Reserve for 21 years.

Spero, who served as system chief pilot since February, joined Alaska in 1987 as a second officer on Boeing 727 aircraft and later transitioned to 737s. A Coast Guard veteran, he has more than 11,000 hours of flight time.

“We appreciate and thank Rob for his service, loyalty, pilot advocacy and leadership,” Forrest said. “During his tenure, Rob spearheaded several programs that will benefit Flight Operations’ efficiency and, in particular, the pilot group long into the future. We are grateful that he’ll continue to contribute significantly to our training efforts and flight operations.”

I spoke to someone directly involved with hiring and she informed me that interviewing has gone from 4 days per week to 2 days per week. I think they usually interview 4 per day.

You hopefuls might expect a hiring speed bump as Tom Kemp gets up to speed ... might even expect some subtle changes in the hiring system. We'll have to see how Tom feels about the old Silver Bullet system versus the newer system Rob recently implemented.

The real question one should be asking is "Why is Rob no longer the Chief Pilot and what does that say about Alaska Airlines management and anyone's ability to effect change for the better?"

Regargless how one feels about the change, it's not a good sign. He either 1) wouldn't do what management wanted, 2) stepped on someone's (Finan) toes trying to do what he thought was right, or 3) saw that he was powerless to effect change and walked. My hat's off to you, Rob (well, I never wear that hat anyway).

Wow, so not only did I manage to somehow screw up my first shot at the interview process, I may possibly have screwed up my ONLY shot if Kemp returns to the old silver bullet system?

Mu-tha...

;)

Aviation Training Center?

fly-n-fish said:
I have a friend who needs current Alaska interview gouge. When I interviewed 4 years ago, Aviation Training Center (ATC) at Boeing Field was the place to go for the sim prep and they also had a good database of interview prep materials ... all the latest questions.

Anyone have a number for ATC? When I did a websearch it came up with a bunch of random stuff but no contact info.

Thanks!

Latest resources

Back