• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran's training house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Things never change. The first time I rode on a jumpseat on a major US carrier, about 25 years ago, I said to the pilots something to this effect.........well at least you get training. They both started laughing. Then the Captain said no we get checking.

The best thing that can happen to this training dept is that the Midwest training dept take over the 717 side (and eventually the 737) after the merger. Then you will see what training with professionalism and total respect means. All check airmen are current line pilots, truly a great bunch of guys.

From what I keep hearing on the line here at Midex over and over again is how bad the Airtran training dept. is. This thread is confirming what we keep hearing here.

Midwest invented the term "Punitive Upgrade"

The best thing that can happen to this training dept is that the Midwest training dept take over the 717 side (and eventually the 737) after the merger. Then you will see what training with professionalism and total respect means.

Duuuuhhhhhh . . . .

Could you have possibly posted something more stupid?

Hmmm . . . let's see . . . . "I don't know anything for certain about AirTran's training dept other than what I read on flightinfo, and some rumors on line, but I have already decided that our Training Dept. is superior, so let's junk AirTran's. . . . ".

That about the size of it? :rolleyes:

I guess you haven't been at Midex long enough to remember when their training dept had worse complaints against it . . . . I believe the term in use at the time was "Punitive Upgrade".

"We now return you to the previous poster's idiocy . . . . ."

Heyas Jm,

As I said in another post, the training department at my current shop (a major) is the best I've ever experienced. Most of our guys are #1s with a few #2s.

Most of the other guys have been weeded out a long time ago. Our shop emphasizes training, not checking, with a clear delination between the two. The department listens to the pilots and ALPA, and those d-bags that slip through are a$$-canned ASAP.

The one thing that is important is you have to have LINE pilots manage or oversee the training programs. Everytime I've seen kiwi types (ground instructors) try to run things, it becomes a huge pissing contest.

Nu

Hey thanks for the note, I do realize there are a couple of carriers out there that do a really fantastic job of training their people. I hope they continue to set the mold for everyone else to follow.

BTW- Great bunch of interviewers down there. Much thanks to Coach, Rich and Lindsey for making us all feel real welcome! Great experience whatever the out come....

Just don't count on coach to be of any help at all when you hit the line. He is on the corporate welfare train, big time. Coach contributes absolutely nothing to AirTran, nothing but hate and discontent.

Just don't count on coach to be of any help at all when you hit the line. He is on the corporate welfare train, big time. Coach contributes absolutely nothing to AirTran, nothing but hate and discontent.

I never had a problem with coach. He backed me up on every issue I had on the 717, even with a very senior check airman and an upper management guy. Never had a problem calling in or getting off a trip.
If you are wrong or try to work the system (SAP 3) he will call you on it.

I never had a problem with coach. He backed me up on every issue I had on the 717, even with a very senior check airman and an upper management guy. Never had a problem calling in or getting off a trip.
If you are wrong or try to work the system (SAP 3) he will call you on it.

Never had any dealings with the man....But my buddy flying said he was out on the line and went into all the planes sitting at the gates including his to look for an anti-TA stickers......He said it made him want to vote no even more!!!!

Just my .02 on this guys.

Using a persons real name on this forum is way uncool.

It's been my experience that usually most people that think a particular person in the training department is a d!ckhead, they themselves more than likely have had training problems.

As far as weeding out the old Eastern guys that are in the training department, my response is:
Yeah good luck with that.... let me know how it works out for ya...

Don't let anyone get you down. The instructors in the training department are overall good guys, there is truth to the fact that they tend to gossip like old ladys and that is very unprofessional, but it is what it is.

These guys are still instructing / employeed at airtran for one reason and one reason only...... because it costs the company $60,000 per year for them vs $160,000 for me... thats it..... no more... end of story....

It's been my experience that usually most people that think a particular person in the training department is a d!ckhead, they themselves more than likely have had training problems.

Isn't that the way it always is, dumb followers/students, God forbid we question the leaders/instructors.

I have seen a turn for the better in that training house, but they have a long way to go. Adding instructors like M.B., and I don't mean the little Napoleon, is a big step in the right direction. There is much work to do yet, but the old Eastern guys CAN be put out to pasture, if you set your mind too it.

Now if you can only get the pilot group together on something!

Latest resources

Back