• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran's training house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sorry about your shoulder, Lear. I hope you get well soon.

i have heard stories from our pilots / instructors hearing some AAI instructors yell at their students in brief/debriefs down in ATL.

They need to get rid of the Medicare bridge program. Doug Powell has a massive ego. This will only get worse.

What's wrong with a plain vanilla recurrent check? Dick Unger and and the recently retired Jeff Sewell had it down. Honest, straight shooters, no head games...and FAIR!

It should be training instead of evaluate and fail.

This one time, at band camp...

The training dept does not train, they evaluate. Most guys there have a vast amount of knowledge, just the way it is presented is less than ideal.

Most orals/rides are just to prove the instructors know more than the individual(s) taking the ride.

We have been very lucky with some recent events, eventually our luck is going to run out. The automation and absurd amount of callouts will not save an a/c. Unfortunately we do not train pilots to fly the 717/37, we only train how to manage the automation. What will happen when that automation fails?

While there are problems with certain instructors/check airmen there is a deeper problem with the culture at the airline.

MD83,

You just hit the nail on the head. Best AAI post I have read anywhere. I think the boys in the training department are starting to figure out exactly what you mention. What they'll do about it, who knows? Probably nothing unfortunately.

I had a buddy who busted his checkride a few days before my ride(new hire). It was with Door #3 above. When I went into take my ride with the same guy, I was told about how my buddy was an "idiot" and about all the mistakes he made. He did not know I had been friends with the guy for years. I kept my mouth shut although it was very hard to do.

These guys have to go. They teach and check so old school, I feel like I am getting trained by my great grandpa, and I'm no spring chicken...

Last edited:
Easydoes it I had same experience.......The thing is this poor guy had an instructor that berated him at every mistake and completely shot his confidence which in turn killed his performance anyways I got an earful about how he was a complete idiot when the opposite is the case. I kept my mouth shut and regret it somewhat.

I guess it is more important that we remember "monitor radar display" and that there is a blue dot at 10 and 2 o'clock and yellow red at 8 and 4 o'clock for a tcas test etc etc than actual know how to fly and understand the QRH.

Latest resources

Back