AirTran's training house

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Max Powers

Most people who go through training at DaTranny do so quickly and easily without any sort of problems. But there is a minority perhaps 25 percent who get a bad instructor or check-airman who are then tortured with abrasive type teaching and/or over zealous checking.

Do you have a story to tell?

If so I want to hear.

I love working for AirTran because of our savvy leaders and fun to fly with pilots - but these experiences that people have faced need to end. It is not acceptable to yell at someone or swear at them on their first sim ride telling them they are no good. That will only create a poor environment for learning and set up said student for failure.

We need professionals with a solid background teaching us at AirTran. We need to stop teaching a reactionary type of flying. Look... when an engine fails you don't have to secure it, call atc, brief your FA and Co-pilot, scratch your nuts all in 1.4598 seconds. Take your time smoke a stogy and then make a sound decision that you know is the correct one. How can you do that if someone is kicking your seat and yelling at you.

Maybe I'm the only who looks at the training center and thinks.....nice decent hard working and experienced folks but A FEW have egos and tempers so big that it interferes with the give and take training should accompany and has kept our training dept a CHECKING DEPARTMENT.

There is so much more to be said about this feel free to PM me or put your story here.... maybe some of our leaders will take notice! Or perhaps the problem is over exaggerated and my conclusions and experiences are incorrect.

If you share your story I am going to copy and send these story to the Admin at FL. So perhaps WE you can make a difference and implement change. Please keep your response professional and constructive. I will delete any screen names and keep everything anonymous.

Thanks

Last edited:
Depends on how the engine fails.

If a TR comes out on this airplane just after V1, you don't have a lot of time to think about it. These aren't cascade vane T/R's, they're Dee-Howard type buckets that are an UNBELIEVABLE amount of drag.

Other than the basics (keep it flying), I agree there's time to figure stuff out.

I also don't hear of that many people who have it that rough. I was ready to beat my instructor over the head once or twice in the sim, but made it through without any kicking, swearing, or brow-beating from him.

Maybe I've just been lucky...

Damn Lear your fast I just posted that. And yes some experiences require fast reactions and action: smoke TR deploy etc. But 99.9% don't. I hope your right and I'm glad you had a good experience we all want to beat our instructors a few times.

Lately though I have made several recommends and a few of these were treated badly after being hired and I want to see what others say. Thanks for the feed back.

Last edited:
Sitting here at home. Screwed up my shoulder and back climbing into a cargo bin to retrieve a stroller last week...

Finally gave up on Advil and started taking the leftover prescription stuff from a surgery 2 years ago. Too loopy to drive and leave the house.

Have nothing better to do, watched all my movies I hadn't seen recently, wife and kids are at work/school.

Kinda bored actually, wish I was at work. :(

Hard to enjoy when you can barely turn your head without it hurting, but I'll try...

The BoD was meeting on it today. Have no idea if they're still in session or not. They've had the T.A. since the weekend, and we're getting conflicted information of what's in it.

I'm expecting a blast email tomorrow morning with the T.A. posted on the website in PDF format, with voting opening on Monday for 21 days.

My guess is it's going to have a "neutral" recommendation from the BoD, with at least one or two BoD members having a "reject" stance.

Could be completely wrong... we'll discuss it in the other thread.

Back to the training thing... has anyone seriously had honest-to-God experiences that bad?

All I am going to say is on the 717 side of the house, we are not at Eastern, we are not flying a DC-9, I could care less how you did it at Eastern, I don't care that you rode the panel for 10 years then the right seat for 18 years, you had to do the walkaround in short sleeves, in blowing snow, uphill both ways, I really don't care. Did I mention that we are not at Eastern? I say clean house, get line pilots in there that are in touch with reality and this century and decade and I don't mean the one that is a reserve police officer/sheriff Shaq type guy in FLL.

I have been around the block a few times myself, I may be an FO here but I have been a 121 captain, treat me as a professional and not some wet behind the ears, never flown 121 pic etc.

Its not all of the 717 training dept, just a few guys in there that want to make it miserable for everyone else.

Other than that, I am having a great time at AirTran.

Heyas,

Just my $0.02 having worked in training.

You will usually have a number of personality types working in training.

They are, in order of preference:

1) The "Good Sh!t". Cool guy all around, has his priorities straight and is a good stick to boot. Passes on the finer points and you learn a ton from this guy. It never seems like training/checking, but just a good conversation with your buddy about flying.

2) The "Burn Out". This guy is toast. He's been rode hard and put away wet from the industry, a bad marrage or both. He's instructing for the money and/or convienence, so don't expect him to spend any extra effort on you. But this guy HATES paperwork and hassle, so if you know your stuff, this guy can be an acceptable alternate. He will try to finish you up as fast as possible.

3) The "Remember When". Flew for North East Central Louisiana Airlines, and thinks it was the greatest thing since Christ. Spares no opportunity to go on about it, and on, and on, and on. Beyond telling you about how much better they did things there, this kook is mostly harmless. Do it his way, check the boxes, and exit as quickly as possible.

4) The "Company Man". Gung ho type. Has a mission, and is probably angling for some kind of management postion. His priorities are how good HE looks to his superiors, and if busting you does this, watch out. Expect to have the company line repeated over and over, so the best thing you can do is nod a lot. He MAY not be the sharpest tool in the shed, as the smart guys like this usually hook up with the safety or performance engineering side of the house.

5) The "Egotistical Weak Pilot". Watch out for this guy. He got in the training department because they were really desperate or his buddy is the training manager. Insecure and a weak stick, his mission is to berate EVERYONE in to submission as much as humanly possible. He plays mean and/or unrealistic tricks in the sim, and then hammers you about your skills and decision making despite the fact that you saved an almost unwinnable situation. He won't go back to the line because everyone calls in sick when they see him on the schedule. While the Company Man will bust you if it makes him look good, this guy will do it just for giggles. AVOID at all costs.

Anyone have any others to add?

Nu

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back