Airtran's $25 jumpseat policy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Salty Pirate said:
A yield fare is a discounted ticket for friends and family, It is not non-revving and Delta makes a hell of a lot of money by selling empty seats.

Call it what you want, it is still a better deal than most offer.

Why all the hostility man. It is what it is and getting into a pi$$ing match here with Airtran skippers about it is not likely to improve the situation anytime soon.

Satly,
Hey I got if figured out. You flew boxes and after 9-11 with our 500hr 121 PIC req, you couldnt get hired so now you are at ASA, and still holding some anger towards the Citrones. Let it go, take a breath and wait, time will bring it all back around. And if it doesnt.....well suck for all of us.

Salty..better double check on those Delta buddy passes or any other airlines buddy passes. They may be "yield fares" and you may pay a lot of money for them but those travelling on them are still considered non revs and have to abide by the non rev rules.

B6Guy said:
While I certainly wouldn't LIKE to fork over $25, it is a heck of a lot better than not getting a ride home or to work. If NWA would adopt this instead of giving LCC pilots a hard time or refusing us the jumpseat, I'd gladly pay the $25 just to get to or from work.

It's not like it is a day's pay or even an hour's pay. I envy you having a way to work on Airtran, they are great guys and gals, but a few gate agents need to be sent flowers or ??? Of course ALL carriers have a few tough grumpy gate agents. Can't blame them; they have one of if not the toughest customer service jobs there is.

This subject has been on this forum several times, the Airtran pilots hate the $25 policy as much or more than anyone else.

B6Guy

Actually it's more than an hour's pay for me... thankfully Comair doesn't charge to get me home.

Rez O. Lewshun said:
When a non rev ticket is paid for, usually 100% of the taxes/fees must also be paid. How does that tie into FL's $25 jumpseat? IOW what is it really?

Is it $25 to jumpseat but its really non rev-ing? Then can any airline employee do the same? Will FL let a UAL gate agent or AMR ramper walk up and pay $25?

If it is limited to Off Line pilots only and taxes/fees aren't being paid then FL management is selling "unlimited" jumpseats.....

The last time I was charged, I believe it was $28 which included $3 that the gate agent said were for taxes or fees.

Jim Smyth said:
If this is true it would also be news to me. I know that for the last 14 years I have never refused a pilot a free ride ( I have had alot more than 2 jumpseaters on at a time more than once ) and also they have never been charged a penny that I know of. But I have been wrong before, as this post shows and I dont jumpseat since I live in base. I believe we always fill the plane with jumpseaters if theres any empty seats in back. I go in tomorrow for a 3 day and I am going to ask around about us charging any monies for the jumpseat.

Jim - I used to work the gates for SWA. If there was an unlimited jumpseat agreement with an airline, then of course those individuals went for free. For airlines that did not have unlimited jumpseats, we were allowed to put on two pilots from other carriers. If a third pilot walked up from another airline that did not have unlimited, I either had to refuse them the jumpseat OR suggest they go to the customer service counter to buy a non-rev ticket. So, it is not charging for the jumpseat - just following the reciprocal agreements.

Interestingly enough, I had the above scenario with the three pilots without unlimited jumpseats. I asked the Captain to sign one more jumpseat, and he immediately agreed to the request. However, I was working with a new gate agent, and she ran and told the supervisor. So, I got reamed about trying to help a jumpseater get to their destination.

Here is the funny part. The supervisor told me that we could not allow the third jumpseater because it was a violation of security! :D I was on probation at the time, so I could not correct her!

To clarify: a "yield fare" is not positive space. Any ID-XX ticket is not positive space.
I have jumpseated on FL more times than I can remember, but only once paid the $28. Thank you to all the Citrus crews that help out us OAL commuters.

Last edited:
ProLine4 said:
To clarify: a "yield fare" is not positive space. Any ID-XX ticket is not positive space.
I have jumpseated on FL more times than I can remember, but only once paid the $28. Thank you to all the Citrus crews that help out us OAL commuters.

Duuude, jus in time fer da Holidays, showin da luv to da Tranny. Duude, thanks for da kindness and like all da Tranny dudes are diggin dat we can be gettin udder pilot peeps to da wife or da hubbie and to da kiddies to.

Like Tiny Tim says, bro, "God bless us wit dat good freaking Kharma, every one!"

With all of this complaining, I'd like to see it changed to a true reciprocal agreement. Your airline allows unlimited jumpseats = we offer unlimited jumpseats; your airline offers limited # of jumpseats = we offer same limited # of jumpseats.

Resume Writer said:
Jim - I used to work the gates for SWA. If there was an unlimited jumpseat agreement with an airline, then of course those individuals went for free. For airlines that did not have unlimited jumpseats, we were allowed to put on two pilots from other carriers. If a third pilot walked up from another airline that did not have unlimited, I either had to refuse them the jumpseat OR suggest they go to the customer service counter to buy a non-rev ticket. So, it is not charging for the jumpseat - just following the reciprocal agreements.

Interestingly enough, I had the above scenario with the three pilots without unlimited jumpseats. I asked the Captain to sign one more jumpseat, and he immediately agreed to the request. However, I was working with a new gate agent, and she ran and told the supervisor. So, I got reamed about trying to help a jumpseater get to their destination.

Here is the funny part. The supervisor told me that we could not allow the third jumpseater because it was a violation of security! :D I was on probation at the time, so I could not correct her!

Well they wouldnt be paying for a jumpseat then, it would have been a pass. In 14 years I have only had 1 ops agent in STL try that move to where they denied a third jumpseat. I went down and talked to the station manager and he told me he didnt care one way or another so I put the third guy on. I think thats more of the norm, however a few could slip threw the cracks if the Pilots dont know about it. We now have 12 of the 97 jumpseating approved airlines that have unlimited jumpseat and it keeps getting better every day so in the near future, hopefully it shouldnt be an issue.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back