Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TV9Driver said:
Jim Smyth,
I used to jumpseat on SWA all the time going from STL to CLE when I worked at COEX. SWA was always very good to me, BUT, if both jumpseats were taken, I would have to pay $25 for a non-rev pass to get to work. This is EXACTLY what we do here at AirTran. If there are 40 jumpseaters and 39 are AirTran pilots and one is an other airline - he/she does not have to pay anything.

If this is true it would also be news to me. I know that for the last 14 years I have never refused a pilot a free ride ( I have had alot more than 2 jumpseaters on at a time more than once ) and also they have never been charged a penny that I know of. But I have been wrong before, as this post shows and I dont jumpseat since I live in base. I believe we always fill the plane with jumpseaters if theres any empty seats in back. I go in tomorrow for a 3 day and I am going to ask around about us charging any monies for the jumpseat.

You may be right but I just havent heard of it before and if it is true I will be bringing it up to our elected union officals to get an answer as to why. I think we all need to make sure there is no charge to any pilot wanting a jumpseat to go to or from work/home. If this isnt in place you can negociate for it. Years ago Delta was one of the last legacy holdouts on this jumpseat issue. We kept giving them our jumpseat with "nothing" in return for many years. Then times got bad and they didnt get much money in a contract and they ended up getting a jumpseat agreement in place. Maybe that will be the trend in the future.

On a different note 2 weeks ago I had my first American Airlines Flight Attendant on our 4th jumpseat . She got a seat in the cabin because we werent full but we now have an agreement with AA to allow the Flight Attendants a free 4th jumpseat on each airline. Progress! ;)

Salty Pirate said:
I guarentee that more Airtran guys ride through the Delta system than vice versa.

Not since you closed DFW . . . . .

I'll take the high road and welcome all jumpseaters but it would suck for you guys if that attitude was given in return. Also please explain how charging for a ticket is non-rev??????

I take the high road when I load up my plane with Delta pilots after being turned away from a Delta flight because some other OAL pilot got there first.

I would gladly pay $25 bucks to get home rather than pay $40. to the Wellesley to spend the night after being turned away at Delta, Chief. And the $25. is a non-rev pass available only to OAL pilots. If I use a Delta buddy pass, it costs money . . . yet is still considered non-revving.

Maybe you ought to think these things through before you make these assinine posts.

Jim Smyth, i'll add a disclaimer to my previous statement. This was pre-9/11 times, so things might have changed since then. I haven't jumpseated on SWA since '99.

FL717 said:
2.) The jumpseat belongs to the company.... NOT the AirTran Pilots. .
That's f-ed up. I thought jumpseats were the captains

Last edited:
I wish it were that simple...

capt. megadeth said:
That's f-ed up. I thought jumpseats were the captains

If that were true, there wouldn't be this thing known as an Ops Specs that all companies have, and we could all allow ANYONE access to the jumpseat ANYTIME we feel like it.

Surely being at UPS..... you know thats simply not true...... at ANY airline.... especially the cargo companies. Does UPS allow ANY 121 or 135 Pilot to ride the actual jumpseat? If not.... then I guess UPS Captains don't "own" their jumpseat either.

Don't fool yourself..... the sad fact is the jumpseat belongs to the company. I'm allowed to borrow it when I sign for the aircraft and will push my weight around as far as I can, but there are limits that I have to observe... so there isn't a Captain ANYWHERE that "owns" their jumpseat. If anyone thinks they do.... they aren't too sharp.

Last edited:
FL717 said:
I had quit responding to these ridiculous threads that people start up for the sole purpose of getting their rocks off starting sh!t on the internet. I am responding to you Jim because I have read many of your posts and find you of all people to reasonable in your posting.

So read up... and read CLOSELY:

1.) AirTran DOES NOT charge for the jumpseat. There is ONE jumpseat rider allowed.... PERIOD. If that jumpseat is taken, you can non-rev for $25.00.

After you pay the $25 for the "nonrev" make sure that you DO NOT stop by the flight deck. Just get on the airplane and take your seat. If you get any shi.t about it from the Captain or anyone else, ask for a refund. Treat it just like a nonrev. End of discussion.

FL717 said:
If that were true, there wouldn't be this thing known as an Ops Specs that all companies have, and we could all allow ANYONE access to the jumpseat ANYTIME we feel like it.

Surely being at UPS..... you know thats simply not true...... at ANY airline.... especially the cargo companies. Does UPS allow ANY 121 or 135 Pilot to ride the actual jumpseat? If not.... then I guess UPS Captains don't "own" their jumpseat either.

Don't fool yourself..... the sad fact is the jumpseat belongs to the company. I'm allowed to borrow it when I sign for the aircraft and will push my weight around as far as I can, but there are limits that I have to observe... so there isn't a Captain ANYWHERE that "owns" their jumpseat. If anyone thinks they do.... they aren't too sharp.
My comment wasn't quite that "deep". BTW, what are ops specs? Never heard of them. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back