• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hope everyone attends a COMPLETE road show.... I am on the fence now. Reserve WILL SUCK but at the benefit of everyone else. Not telling you to vote yes or no but, please go to a road show. I went to one at the NPA office and it was 3 hours of uninterrupted information and strategery that you cannot see in the TA....
-TC

Without proper scope, no one is safe from reserve, and besides, we are not in BK so why are we selling anyone out here with something less than we already have? In the top 10% and think it doesn't affect you? Wrong.

What would it have cost them to have a seniority based bucket system(that was published hourly) that allowed you to use your seniority to either be called first or last? I mean they have to have "x" many of reserves, what do they care who does them as long as they have their numbers? If your super senior and they are fat in your plane, you could bid reserve and USE YOUR SENIORITY to not fly. Or how about some pecking order while on reserve? If you've been on reserve for two years, at least you could be considered a "senior reserve" holder. It wouldn't have cost them nothing, but it wasn't bargained for because it wasn't a priority for the nc, OBVIOUSLY. This crap about how our reserve system is the best is insane. If it's so good, why isn't the senior guys bidding them? The reserve lines go extremely junior for a very good reason, reserve ALREADY SUCKS HERE!

THey want to sell out the junior people in order to make life better for the senior 10-20%. Those are the guys trying to pass this crap, and with good cause. They have little to lose and everything to gain from this TA. Them giving out the info and letting us decide is one thing, but trying to scare us with lies and threats is just another embarrassment from a long line of them from this union. Lear is right about the LOA's. If it doesn't pass, AP will just sign LOA after LOA and the company will get what they want. Why go to a road show when it isn't presented in objective manner? I've overheard it in the crew room, and it's just embarrassing that these are the guys representing us during such a critical time.

Nothing like making an informed decision, way to go!

Go to the road show. Ask your questions, all of them. I did. All were answered, not all to my complete satisfaction; but that information combined with what is in black and white opened my eyes a lot. Lear has made many (OK more than many) fantastic points and some of the counterpoints to his information was well worth the time spent. Vent all you want on flightinfo, but atleast get the answers straight from the horses mouth. You owe yourself and the rest of us that!

All you have to do is be able to read because they only thing that counts is what's in writing. The union and company promising certain things aren't going to happen doesn't cut it after it's signed. If it's so great, why the dog and pony show? Why not allow voting already? Because they have to add smoke and mirrors to make you overlook the details. Again, I'd be alot more open to the shows if they were a little more obvective and lot less threatening. Why not just present the facts and let everyone decide? While I obviously can't fault someone for going to the roadshow, I can't blame someone for not wanting to sit through the rest of the crap that they're adding. I just left the crewroom today because it was just too insulting to listen to.

All you have to do is be able to read because they only thing that counts is what's in writing. True. The union and company promising certain things aren't going to happen doesn't cut it after it's signed. If it's so great, why the dog and pony show? As far as I know every union has road shows, that's not new. Why not allow voting already? Good question, it does start next week according to MP, but the reason for the delay..who knows. Because they have to add smoke and mirrors to make you overlook the details. Again, I'd be alot more open to the shows if they were a little more obvective and lot less threatening. Threatening wasn't my experience, we were involved in a true back and forth Q&A. As I said earlier, it was eye opening. I don't doubt your word about how you felt, but go and make them answer for that one-on-one. Why not just present the facts and let everyone decide? I called them, point blank, on the complete amateurish way the whole announcement and follow on to the TA was handled (among many other actual contract related items). They admitted many mis-steps. Also, they were quite candid on some of the concessions and where they saw the realtive gains from those. Again, I'm not drinking the cool-aid (on either side) nor am I befuddled by "smoke and mirrors" as you put it. I read the TA (every word), I read Lear's points, again word for word. I just went the extra step and went to the source for further information. While I obviously can't fault someone for going to the roadshow, I can't blame someone for not wanting to sit through the rest of the crap that they're adding. I just left the crewroom today because it was just too insulting to listen to.

Basically all I was saying earlier is that the contract we work under now, and in the future is a legal doccument. Unfortunately, in our porfession it is coupled with A LOT of emotion. I think, and I don't want to speak for him, but Lear's postings are aimed at looking at this logically, and I was doing the same, the best way I know how. Everyone has to do the same, the best they know how as well.

Can you guys read? It said no anti OR PRO TA stuff. You should be allowed whatever you want, but post the whole message....be honest about what was posted for crying out loud.

Find me one bag tag or sticker promoting the TA, and you might have a valid point . . . . :laugh:

Threatening wasn't my experience, we were involved in a true back and forth Q&A. As I said earlier, it was eye opening. I don't doubt your word about how you felt, but go and make them answer for that one-on-one.
They've backed off the scare-tactics and false information, to a certain extent, because they were getting a lot of backlash out of it.

I called them, point blank, on the complete amateurish way the whole announcement and follow on to the TA was handled (among many other actual contract related items). They admitted many mis-steps. Also, they were quite candid on some of the concessions and where they saw the realtive gains from those. Again, I'm not drinking the cool-aid (on either side) nor am I befuddled by "smoke and mirrors" as you put it. I read the TA (every word), I read Lear's points, again word for word. I just went the extra step and went to the source for further information.

I'd actually like to hear what they had to say, as the two times I've been in the "info sessions" I haven't heard any positive spins on the concessions that really can be proven in black and white.

However, you're doing EXACTLY what all of us should do.

Read the T.A. Read the pros and cons from each side's point of view. Go to the road shows and ask the hard questions and demand straightforward answers. Then go back and read the T.A. and pros and cons again.

Only then will you be in a position to make an informed decision.

Basically all I was saying earlier is that the contract we work under now, and in the future is a legal document. Unfortunately, in our profession it is coupled with A LOT of emotion. I think, and I don't want to speak for him, but Lear's postings are aimed at looking at this logically, and I was doing the same, the best way I know how. Everyone has to do the same, the best they know how as well.
You're absolutely right, it IS full of emotion. We are emotionally vested in these careers because we have sacrificed and through blood, sweat, and tears have made it here where we *thought* we didn't have to look any further for our careers. When you threaten people's Quality Of Life, of course they're going to get emotional.

We have to stay focused in not getting upset at each other. Personally, I believe this T.A. is going to fail. If you are in the "fence sitting" camp, but believe it will fail anyway, then help us out and give us more numbers to show at the bargaining table when they go back - a bigger NO turnout is more negotiating capital.

If not, then vote your conscience, and go spend some time with your family, as what will be, will be. Good luck to everyone, and thanks for reading my rants. :beer:

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find any limit to the amount of airport appreciation time they can schedule us for. Combine this with a 13 hour day and we can be assured of plenty of free ready reserve time (on the last day of the trip)

but with a 13 hr day at would have no reason to make us sit RR. We all know they would do every thing possable to minimize our sit time.

Maybe I'm missing it, but I can't find any limit to the amount of airport appreciation time they can schedule us for. Combine this with a 13 hour day and we can be assured of plenty of free ready reserve time (on the last day of the trip)
For lineholders, it's in there, but only by merit of the 5 hour hotel clause.

As a lineholder, if your last leg back to domicile from a trip is a deadhead, they can leave you at the outstation for up to 5 hours before your deadhead has to depart. 5:01 and you can make them give you a hotel room for this. 4:59, you're sitting in the terminal in uniform in a chair somewhere. Current book prohibits this by saying they have to put you on the first flight out to return you to base.

As a reserve, they can now sit you for up to 6 hours without a hotel and call it a "ready reserve assignment". There's no requirement for the departing flight to leave from the outstation coming back within that 6 hours either and no hotel provision for the reserve pilot, so they could technically fly you one leg out, sit you for 6 hours, then make you wait another hour or two for the next flight scheduled after your ready reserve sit.

Those are extreme examples using the maximum boundaries (or lack thereof) in the verbiage, but the possibility is there, and if they ever need to use it for operational integrity, you can bet they will.

Senior pilots are NOT exempt from this, as there is NO guarantee they will build pairings with less sit time. In fact, because of the 4.5 Average Day, you can bet that when our peak travel seasons are gone (Fall and Winter), you WILL get

- 3-day trips with 6 hours day 1, a 24-30 hour sit in an outstation hotel, then 6 hours day 3, worth 13.5 hours instead of the 16 we enjoy now.
- airport appreciation on almost every trip which will leave you reassignable.
- deadheads at the end of trips and being left at outstations on the last leg for hours.

This is what happens when productivity goes down... they save money by parking the crews but still leaving them open for utilization. It's happened at EVERY airline that has gone to an average day that's not very high.

I also find it interesting that we compared wages to bankrupt Delta, and they have an average day but it's well over 5 hours. Again, why do we not get "industry average" in some areas, when we're forced to take it as a concession in others?

OK, back to work... :)

Latest resources

Back