• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airtran Pilots Want ALPA=WHY?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
basically Clyde I believe its a POS contradictory contract thats the issue. As well as members of mgmnt exploiting the numerous contradictory sections. Just like I try to work things in the contract to my advantage, so does the company. As far as arbitrations etc. you cannot win an arbitration when one section contradicts another. The worst attorney in the Northern hemisphere will tell you that. And so goes life my friend.
Frankly, I could care less if we have Alpa or anyone else...My biggest concern with alpa is that in my view its opening a door of favoritsm and improprierty and politicises a competitive relationship with DL/NW. The biggest fix in my view will be the wording in our next CBA. Or we can continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and continue taking 2 steps back. BTW, mgmnt loves this crap.

RV

My biggest concern with alpa is that in my view its opening a door of favoritsm and improprierty and politicises a competitive relationship with DL/NW. RV

I've heard that argument before, but I just don't get it.

If we were ASA, Comair, Mesaba, Pinnacle or had our flying intertwined with DAL/NWA, then I'd agree with you 100%. We are a completely separate entity that shares a common hub. How does that cause "favoritism" or lead to "improprieties"?

An improved contract for us is beneficial to all ALPA carriers.

Frankly, I could care less if we have Alpa or anyone else...My biggest concern with alpa is that in my view its opening a door of favoritsm and improprierty and politicises a competitive relationship with DL/NW. The biggest fix in my view will be the wording in our next CBA. Or we can continue to shoot ourselves in the foot and continue taking 2 steps back. BTW, mgmnt loves this crap.

RV
I have to disagree with you here. Business is business! What Delta management and AirTran management do against one another on the competitive front has nothing to do with what union you are affiliated with. That being said, since AirTran competes domestically with Delta head to head, Delta pilots only want to see AirTran pilots get the best contract as possible (work rules and pay). That is a good thing for both pilot groups. I think guys are selling themselves short with this ALPA is going to take something from AirTran and give it to Delta. Why would that happen? It would not!

good points.

RV

btw, today while at the gate I was reading through the alpa mag and saw a pic of Randy Babbitt glad handing the higher ups in alpa at some function. Remember what ol' Randy said years ago.

RV

I'm not sure what you mean. Scope is working right now. Delta would outsource every single airplane if they could. DALPA's scope language prevents it. Is it great scope? No. The DAL MEC has never been big on fighting the scope battle. But it is effective scope in that 700+ mainline airplanes still exist. Without ALPA scope, all of that flying would be outsourced.

As far as AirTran, it is up to our own MEC and pilot group to make decisions on scope. I hear the current leadership is making scope a top priority. I'm not too worried about scope.

btw, today while at the gate I was reading through the alpa mag and saw a pic of Randy Babbitt glad handing the higher ups in alpa at some function.

He's most likely going to be the next FAA Administrator. He and Duane Woerth are the top two contenders. Both are former ALPA presidents. Gee, it sure would be nice to be a part of the organization that is cozy with the new FAA top dog.

Guppy Guy's level headed response

Guppy Guy is exactly on the money when it comes to making informed decisions without all the emotion attached to the question of your entire future. Sorting of like settling a divorce after all the anger is gone, if neither side is happy it's probably a fair deal.

I would only add one thing and that is to consider Teamsters. Meet with them and let them know you are serious, if only to ALPA honest. So that ALPA knows your loyalty will zero if they don't protect or serve your needs especially regarding scope and merger.

There is nothing wrong with hiring a new attorney when the old one isn't protecting your interests in the divorce process, as long as you are rational about it.

Good luck as every good pilot contract benefits all of us.

Gee, it sure would be nice to be a part of the organization that is cozy with the new FAA top dog.
Yes...because the FAA will get you that better contract

Latest resources

Back