Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran Pilots, Informational Picketing!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have not been very vocal on this site for a while now, because I believe that the give and take of discussion even outright rebellion is a protected form of speech. But Lear to say that the P2P program is not to do more than be ears of the BoD is not only off base but is completely counter to the role of their training and use as members.
Training? What training? I never received anything but a single phone call when I joined the program saying if I had any questions, give them a call and they'd leave a pin and lanyard in my v-file.

NO training. Zero. Zilch. Not even via email.

How do I know this, I started the program and did the training for most all of the first classes. Then a very capable and excellent leader took the position over. He was replaced by another dedicated and outstanding Chair. And again you are wrong in that information and activities are not to be handed down, an example of this is why we have things called Committees, in fact you even serve on one now.
No, I don't. There is no "committee", it's an advisory board, I'm not "on" the NC.

P2P’s are for action both verbally and physically to walk the halls and be present for their fellow Pilots. What was the role they were asked to accomplish? To engage other Pilots and pass along the number and/or email of the SPC chair, to back up the SPC information that was going out in the Eweekly, Quarterly and word of mouth.
Again, not a job for the P2P's except to BACK UP the SPC information that SHOULD have been put out by the NPA FIRST. This is Union 101.

I can tell you that also, that myself, the SPC chair and another motivated individual called multiple hundreds of our pilot group (nearly all that contact information was accurate for) telling them about the service we needed and why, and if they didn’t answer we left NPA, and personal phone numbers. I received a hand full of calls back to volunteer.
I never received a phone call. Nor did any of the handful of my classmates I talked to about info picketing. It was handled poorly. Period.

Should an email be sent, yes and I believe many were in the E-Weekly etc. As to picking a place and time I guess you have never picketed before or you would have understood that training is required to preform it properly and legally.
Maybe you should ask before you assume.

Picketed several times, mainly for Mesaba. You don't need hours of "special training", you need a small prep for dress code in your email request then you need a 15 minute "briefing" before it begins on conduct and details. That's it. It's not rocket science.

And just showing up doesn’t work when you need people on a dedicated list that have been trained said I will be there. Kind of like a RSVP, when you through the party it would be nice to know people will show up.
Then put it out as a request. JUST a request, not a weekly update.

This is one of the most important tools we have available to us as pilots against management. I think it bears a little more attention then being burried below the new-hire weekly pizza dinner.

You are right, motivating people is an art, but I guess I just don’t understand how people are not motivated to save their jobs, guess they are busy doing emails on the web. But I believe mostly they don’t want to put in the time for a position or job that they don’t see immediate compensation for. But thats just my point of view having done the things you tell me are wrong.
People are motivated to save their jobs when they feel their jobs are threatened. right now they don't feel threatened. Make them understand, take ownership, then give them a meaningful way to act.

Again, not rocket science.

Last edited:
People are motivated to save their jobs when they feel their jobs are threatened. right now they don't feel threatened. Make them understand, take ownership, then give them a meaningful way to act.

True, and I would hope by now they were paying attention, and if not now when?

If every person didn't get a call, sorry for that. 3 people / 1500 pilots at 3 min a call if no answer is 25 hours of non-stop dialing per volunteer. Again sorry everone didn't get a call. How to enroll has NEVER been a gaurded secret.

But you should have been brought in for a P2P class, you never should have been brought in that way with no training or guidence.

But I still disagree with your easy as pie version of picketing. It may be easy but it needs to be done right, and that means more than just wearing you hat.

Neither one of us can make people do anything they are not determined to do, and when they feel the career is on the line more will happen with in themselves to be engaged.

Last edited:
I have not been very vocal on this site for a while now, because I believe that the give and take of discussion even outright rebellion is a protected form of speech. But Lear to say that the P2P program is not to do more than be ears of the BoD is not only off base but is completely counter to the role of their training and use as members. How do I know this, I started the program and did the training for most all of the first classes. Then a very capable and excellent leader took the position over. He was replaced by another dedicated and outstanding Chair. And again you are wrong in that information and activities are not to be handed down, an example of this is why we have things called Committees, in fact you even serve on one now. And how do they get their orders, they don’t make them up all alone do they?
P2P’s are for action both verbally and physically to walk the halls and be present for their fellow Pilots. What was the role they were asked to accomplish? To engage other Pilots and pass along the number and/or email of the SPC chair, to back up the SPC information that was going out in the Eweekly, Quarterly and word of mouth. I can tell you that also, that myself, the SPC chair and another motivated individual called multiple hundreds of our pilot group (nearly all that contact information was accurate for) telling them about the service we needed and why, and if they didn’t answer we left NPA, and personal phone numbers. I received a hand full of calls back to volunteer.
Should an email be sent, yes and I believe many were in the E-Weekly etc. As to picking a place and time I guess you have never picketed before or you would have understood that training is required to preform it properly and legally. And just showing up doesn’t work when you need people on a dedicated list that have been trained said I will be there. Kind of like a RSVP, when you through the party it would be nice to know people will show up.
You are right, motivating people is an art, but I guess I just don’t understand how people are not motivated to save their jobs, guess they are busy doing emails on the web. But I believe mostly they don’t want to put in the time for a position or job that they don’t see immediate compensation for. But thats just my point of view having done the things you tell me are wrong.

Hey, FLB, you have the nerve to show up here & tell Lear he is in the wrong after you personally voted YES on the TA & then tried to sell it to everyone?! And then you blame the pilot group for lack of determination?! Why don't you tell everybody here why YOU personally voted YES on this TA? Another idea: why don't you tell everybody what you got for selling everyone down the river? Better idea: why don't you resign & let a more capable & "determined" individual step in (please?) Your experience is barely enough to wipe Lear's shoes. You're nothing but a check airman hopeful (Mark these words). So far you have done nothing but brag about your so-called experience with absolutely NO action to back it up. Your experience got you 1% of votes when you ran against an incumbent. Then you ran unopposed & slipped through the crack & everyone is paying for it now. BTW, I'm one of the 1,500 & I didn't get a call either.

With all your experience, FLB, why did you endorse this TA?

I wrote many comments, but most are not fit to respond in public, but I think the next time we crosscut in the hall feel free to ask me these questions in person, make sure you ask me the one about what I got! As far as why this TA went out, because you needed to see it and make your pilots point of view decision and make it heard in the direction YOU choose. And your election information is not so very spot on, check your facts.

Last edited:
As far as why this TA went out, because you needed to see it and make your pilots point of view decision and make it heard in the direction YOU choose.

And 1500+ pilots were denied the right to vote on the TA that you got to vote on. Large foul ball.

Hey, FLB, you have the nerve to show up here & tell Lear he is in the wrong after you personally voted YES on the TA & then tried to sell it to everyone?! And then you blame the pilot group for lack of determination?! Why don't you tell everybody here why YOU personally voted YES on this TA? Another idea: why don't you tell everybody what you got for selling everyone down the river? Better idea: why don't you resign & let a more capable & "determined" individual step in (please?) Your experience is barely enough to wipe Lear's shoes. You're nothing but a check airman hopeful (Mark these words). So far you have done nothing but brag about your so-called experience with absolutely NO action to back it up. Your experience got you 1% of votes when you ran against an incumbent. Then you ran unopposed & slipped through the crack & everyone is paying for it now. BTW, I'm one of the 1,500 & I didn't get a call either.

With all your experience, FLB, why did you endorse this TA?
Guys, let's not tear each other apart, especially guys who recognize things aren't acceptable on the T.A. and who we HOPE would vote NO or put it out with a NO vote to kill it if it comes back unacceptable again.

There's some things that a lot of the current guys there HAVE done, including setting up the basic structure of the NPA to function with a large group of pilots. That HAD to be done, including the work with the P2P program; the fact that it's not what it was is hardly the fault of the guy who no longer works it...?

The question of whether more hard-core leadership is required has already been answered. People currently in those NPA leadership positions need to carefully self-examine their thoughts and motivations and see if they can really serve the pilot group in the fight that's to come if this thing dies.

Believe me, it's going to get VERY ugly around here if this negotiating session is unsuccessful, and everyone better start preparing to step up. Not just the NPA leadership, but every single line pilot.

Thanks to everyone who has already shown their support. Time to head back into the ring...

I wrote many comments, but most are not fit to respond in public, but I think the next time we crosscut in the hall feel free to ask me these questions in person, make sure you ask me the one about what I got! As far as why this TA went out, because you needed to see it and make your pilots point of view decision and make it heard in the direction YOU choose. And your election information is not so very spot on, check your facts.

Bull $hit! Although a very nice but a predictable response. Is that what your mommy told you to tell others? If you really wanted others to see it, you did not have to endorse it ya know. You vote neutral or you vote NO. Either way, the details would have become known. Instead you endorse it & then adamantly try to sell it at road shows. If my facts are not accurate, then why can't you use this thread to explain why YOU voted yes? "not fit for this forum?" Bull $hit! You found this forum adequate enough to criticize Lear…? How are you different? You've already shown us the last card up your sleeve. You want to talk to me on the phone? I'll call you. But let me set the tone for our conversation now: I don’t trust you. We’ll pick it up from here.

Isn't a petition to recall the equivalent of a no-confidence vote? Why fight it then? Resign & recall the NC to save the little pilot group respect you might have. Untill then YOU ARE a management wanna be & if you didn't get anything for your Yea vote, then you're even dumber than I thought.

If my facts are not accurate, then correct me. Start with explaining your TA vote.

As far as why this TA went out, because you needed to see it and make your pilots point of view decision and make it heard in the direction YOU choose.

YOU are full of shiite!!!! If that were true, this would have gone to a vote immediately so we could make our points of view known and make it heard the direction we choose, instead, your floundering to cover your collective arses so this doesn't go down too hard. And where does that leave us? In a worse position than if this thing went down immediately. (If you didn't know how bad this was and how bad it would go down when you voted in favor of it, you don't deserve the position you were elected to. Unfortunately, those that voted for you are just now finding that out). Count me in on wanting to know what was offered to vote in favor. We've already got one member of the BOD that jumped ship to the 73 under very questionable circumstances to avoid 71 CA reserve so he wouldn't be hosed by his vote in favor. Was that you?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back